spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bkhustle101
join:2014-01-17
Staten Island, NY

bkhustle101

Help Setting Up Large Wifi Network

Hey just wondering if anyone can help. I live in a two bedroom apartment building and my friends in neighboring apartments on the same floor and I thought it would bee a good idea to create a large wireless network. We each have out own internet service providers and our own wireless routers. If we set the same SSID and encryption information would that work or is there more too it. We were hoping we could just have one large network and that way when we go in and out of each others apartments or throughout the floor we would have a strong wifi connection everywhere.
switchman
join:1999-11-06
ARRIS SB6183
(Software) OPNsense

switchman

If you really want to do this, I would set up a totally separate network using vlans and or the guest capabilities that some routers have. Other wise, any one that has access to to the wifi network as total access to you internal lan.

I am not sure if it would be as simple as using the same SSID/Pass due to their being multiple subnets, DHCP servers. Easiest way is to try it.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to bkhustle101

MVM

to bkhustle101
If you setup each router so they are using the same IP subnet, same DHCP range, same DNS servers, same SSID, and same security method, you might be able to get it to work. If you could set a DHCP reservation in each router so that each device got the same IP address on each network, that would also help.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to bkhustle101

to bkhustle101
said by bkhustle101:

Hey just wondering if anyone can help. I live in a two bedroom apartment building and my friends in neighboring apartments on the same floor and I thought it would bee a good idea to create a large wireless network. We each have out own internet service providers and our own wireless routers. If we set the same SSID and encryption information would that work or is there more too it. We were hoping we could just have one large network and that way when we go in and out of each others apartments or throughout the floor we would have a strong wifi connection everywhere.

what is your end game?, just to bounce phone and portable devices between access point for internet?

if so, just use the same SSID ,encryption type, and password.

like stated they will get local lan access if you care

if you want more then that, there is alot of more configuration, if sharing files etc...
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to bkhustle101

Premium Member

to bkhustle101
Different SSID, passwords and IP ranges. Otherwise as you move from one AP to another, your connection will drop as you get a new DHCP address, and if you have the same IP subnets, finding the right gateway will be confusing.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to bkhustle101

MVM

to bkhustle101
said by LittleBill:

said by bkhustle101:

what is your end game?,

2nded... if it's to experiment, go nuts. But if you have a specific endgoal in mind, please state it.

Regards