spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to Mark80

Anon

to Mark80

Re: When will Charter allow us to access HBO Go on Apple TV?

said by Mark80 :

This is between HBO and Charter. The same is true between DirecTV and HBO as well as Comcast and HBO for the Roku.

If it was an Apple issue why of the 50+ HBO Go partners is Charter the only one? Wouldn't other providers refuse Apple as well?

So HBO allows HBOGO with Charter with EVERY OTHER DEVICE that has HBOGO capability except the AppleTV and yet it's not an Apple issue? In what world does that even make sense?
DA
join:2002-04-13
Greenville, SC

DA to Mark80

to Mark80
said by Mark80 :

Apple already approved the app. What is missing is the app to verify HBO subscribers with Charter. That is what is being blocked.

When the app launched, DirecTV was not allowing this verification. Hours later DirecTV relented and HBO updated their servers if this change. A new app wasn't needed to be uploaded to the Apple TV when this changed occurred.

This is between HBO and Charter. The same is true between DirecTV and HBO as well as Comcast and HBO for the Roku.

If it was an Apple issue why of the 50+ HBO Go partners is Charter the only one? Wouldn't other providers refuse Apple as well?

I spent the last 10 minutes trying to find the article I saw about this and could not find it so take this with a grain of salt. If I remember the article properly HBO requires that providers license their customers for each platform. This means that Charter needs to work with HBO to license their customers to use HBO2GO on AppleTV.

So if this is correct yes this is a Charter issue but it is not a simple technical issue...

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy

Anon

said by DA:

I spent the last 10 minutes trying to find the article I saw about this and could not find it so take this with a grain of salt. If I remember the article properly HBO requires that providers license their customers for each platform. This means that Charter needs to work with HBO to license their customers to use HBO2GO on AppleTV.

So if this is correct yes this is a Charter issue but it is not a simple technical issue...

However since HBO has obviously approved HBOGO for every other device on Charter INCLUDING the Iphone, Ipad and Ipod touch I'm not sure how it's not a device issue.
bozzy
join:2009-08-25
Simpsonville, SC

bozzy to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

Actually they do. The Roku just got WatchESPN within the last couple of months. The XBOX 360 has had it for what over a year before that?

Huh? Roku just got the app but my point is Charter is not able to dictate what devices the app works with when dealing with the Disney suite of Watch apps. So if ESPN adds support to another device, Charter can't block it. But with HBO, Charter has that ability according to their contract with HBO.
bozzy

bozzy to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

So HBO allows HBOGO with Charter with EVERY OTHER DEVICE that has HBOGO capability except the AppleTV and yet it's not an Apple issue? In what world does that even make sense?

It is not an Apple issue because Apple has nothing to do with what ISPs approve it. Apple doesn't make a deal with each ISP. Charter just has to approve the device and they refuse to. What is sad is every single other HBO Go partner allows their customers to use HBO Go on Apple TV.
DigitalManny
join:2014-01-08
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny

said by bozzy:

said by Mr Guy :

It is not an Apple issue because Apple has nothing to do with what ISPs approve it. Apple doesn't make a deal with each ISP. Charter just has to approve the device and they refuse to. What is sad is every single other HBO Go partner allows their customers to use HBO Go on Apple TV.

Exactly I do not understand what Mr Guy is saying that it is a Apple TV issue when multiple times I said I can access Disney and ABC on Apple TV with no problem, this is a Charter issue and if they are having a problem with Apple TV maybe they should higher better Techs instead wasting their money.

Doc Casualty
join:2005-02-06
Harbor Springs, MI

Doc Casualty to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
I have no idea where the problem lies or what the dispute is about, though I wish they would resolve it because as noted previously it makes no sense. I can watch HBO Go on my Samsung Smart TV downstairs and on our multiple iPhones but not on AppleTV on my main screen. Charter facebook response was "we're working on it". It might be a complicated contract issue FAIK but it's frustrating as a consumer.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to DigitalManny

Anon

to DigitalManny
said by bozzy:

Actually if Apple doesn't want Charter customers accessing certain content with their device they CAN prevent that. Perhaps you're not familiar with Apple business practices. That's why you just an make an app and have it show up on Itunes. Apple reviews ALL apps first. The ones that don't met their criteria don't get approved.
said by DigitalManny:

Exactly I do not understand what Mr Guy is saying that it is a Apple TV issue when multiple times I said I can access Disney and ABC on Apple TV with no problem, this is a Charter issue and if they are having a problem with Apple TV maybe they should higher better Techs instead wasting their money.

Disney and ABC are owned by the same company DISNEY. HBO is owned by Time Warner.

The simple fact is that there is not some conspiracy by Charter to keep Apple TV owners from watching HBOGo. If Charter didn't want their customers watching HBOGo they wouldn't offer it AT ALL. There is no gain by Charter to keep AppleTV owners from accessing HBOGo. And they aren't going to do it for shits an giggles. Unless the Charter CEO secretly owns a large amount of Roku stock.
Mark80
join:2004-01-19
Lake Mary, FL

1 edit

Mark80

Well according to a tv industry website, they are putting the blame squarely on Charter.

"As of mid-day Thursday, Charter Communications remained the only current HBO pay TV affiliate with TV Everywhere rights that had yet to support authentication of the HBO GO app on the Apple TV box."

»www.multichannel.com/ind ··· v/144012

Why is Charter the only one on Apple TV? If Apple was involved surely there would be more providers not authenticating HBO Go just like Charter.

HBO Go is a TV Everywhere app. With TV Everywhere it is the tv service provider's decision in which devices they choose to support.

Why does Charter support the Disney apps and ESPN, but not HBO GO Apple TV? If Apple was involved wouldn't Charter not authenticating them as well?

For people pointing their fingers at Apple, are you going to blame Roku for DirecTV and Comcast?

Why does DirecTV support HBO Go on every device but Roku?

Why does Comcast support HBO Go on every device but Roku?

I just do not see Apple and Roku getting in between HBO and their contracts with Cable and Satellite companies. Both have already approved the app. Apple has already made a deal with HBO, the content provider, for the app.
Mark80

Mark80

EDIT: Well here is an article that kind of explains it.

»gigaom.com/2013/11/18/sl ··· rywhere/

"The reason for these shortcomings is the ongoing power struggle between networks and operators. TV networks would like to keep the lid on their most valuable online assets and instead publish their own TV Everywhere apps, like HBO has done with its HBO Go app. Pay TV operators, on the other hand, want consumers to associate their brands with the TV services they're able to use, which is why Comcast, for example, still doesn't allow its subscribers to access HBO Go on Roku's streaming players."
Mark80

Mark80 to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
I emailed HBO GO at contactHBOGO@hbo.com to see what they said. They are saying that Charter is not supporting it on Apple TV.

----

RE: Apple TV
6 minutes ago 11:26 AM
From
*Contact HBOGO (HBO)
To
'Mark'

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your email. Charter is currently not supporting HBO GO on Apple TV. We encourage you to reach out to Charter and request that they add support for HBO GO on Apple TV. HBO GO is available through Charter, on desktop/laptop computers, iPad, iPhone, Android Smartphones, Kindle Fire, Roku, Samsung TV's and Xbox, 360.

Thank you,
The HBO GO Team
bozzy
Simpsonville, SC

bozzy to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
said by Mark80 :

I emailed HBO GO at contactHBOGO@hbo.com to see what they said. They are saying that Charter is not supporting it on Apple TV.

Yes, we already know this. Charter has to approve the app on each device. It is not a contract issue as the only thing Charter is required to do is say yes/no for each device. And they are the only ISP to say no to Apple TV. It is not as complicated as some people want to make it.
DigitalManny
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

said by bozzy:

Actually if Apple doesn't want Charter customers accessing certain content with their device they CAN prevent that. Perhaps you're not familiar with Apple business practices. That's why you just an make an app and have it show up on Itunes. Apple reviews ALL apps first. The ones that don't met their criteria don't get approved.
said by DigitalManny:

Disney and ABC are owned by the same company DISNEY. HBO is owned by Time Warner.

The simple fact is that there is not some conspiracy by Charter to keep Apple TV owners from watching HBOGo. If Charter didn't want their customers watching HBOGo they wouldn't offer it AT ALL. There is no gain by Charter to keep AppleTV owners from accessing HBOGo. And they aren't going to do it for shits an giggles. Unless the Charter CEO secretly owns a large amount of Roku stock.

Sorry do you read before you type? I never said ABC and Disney are part of Time Warner or HBO I said Charter is allowing to access those apps on Apple TV tell me where I said they are part of HBO? You talk like Charter is not out there for money you really think they care about customers and you keep twisting it around blaming Apple TV when we all know that is not clearly true why we can not access HBO Go.
DigitalManny

DigitalManny to bozzy

to bozzy
said by bozzy:

said by Mark80 :

Yes, we already know this. Charter has to approve the app on each device. It is not a contract issue as the only thing Charter is required to do is say yes/no for each device. And they are the only ISP to say no to Apple TV. It is not as complicated as some people want to make it.

It is complicated when Charter tells you they are having issues with Apple TV to have access to HBO Go instead they sugar coat it with many excuses like the one you just said.
bozzy
Simpsonville, SC

bozzy

said by DigitalManny:

It is complicated when Charter tells you they are having issues with Apple TV to have access to HBO Go instead they sugar coat it with many excuses like the one you just said.

There is no technical issue obviously (no other ISP is having a technical issue). And there is no agreement between Apple and Charter to be completed since it is not needed. The issue is Charter doesn't want their customers to access HBO Go on Apple TV. There is little else to discuss beyond that honestly.
DigitalManny
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny

said by bozzy:

said by DigitalManny:

There is no technical issue obviously (no other ISP is having a technical issue). And there is no agreement between Apple and Charter to be completed since it is not needed. The issue is Charter doesn't want their customers to access HBO Go on Apple TV. There is little else to discuss beyond that honestly.

Well there is a lot to discuss when Charter is lying to customers telling customers that they are having problems with Apple TV when it is actually them who are not allowing access to HBO Go on Apple TV. If this is how they run customer service how is it possible they are still in business? Only one answer to that would be monopoly by blocking competition.
bozzy
Simpsonville, SC

bozzy

said by DigitalManny:

Well there is a lot to discuss when Charter is lying to customers telling customers that they are having problems with Apple TV when it is actually them who are not allowing access to HBO Go on Apple TV. If this is how they run customer service how is it possible they are still in business? Only one answer to that would be monopoly by blocking competition.

They are in business because people have no choice in many cases on who their tv/internet provider is. There is a reason they annually rank near the bottom of customer satisfaction.
mbreslin
join:2012-01-30
Turlock, CA

mbreslin to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
Sigh. I came to these forums because we're moving and this issue has made the boss(wife) decide we're switching to directv for television. Instead of finding some kind of update or actual information on the issue it's just anti-apple/pro-charter (and vice versa) arguments.

Why defend either of these publicly traded companies that only see you as walking wallets anyway?

Comments like these are particularly hilarious: "I feel Apple wants more money to allow this than Charter feels like paying. Yet go ahead and blame Charter."

Translated this reads: "I'm completely guessing but my complete and utter guess is correct and your complete and utter guess is ridiculous and wrong."

Without knowledge of the terms of the deal from both sides, as well as the terms of the deals between apple and the other ISPs that work with HBOGo on apple tv, we have no way of knowing who is really at fault/who is being greedy (pro tip: It's 99% likely it's both of them).

All I can say for sure is charter lost us as a customer (many years of paying for the platinum package) over it. How important that is to them versus what they would lose making the deal with apple only they can decide.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

Says here »www.myaccount.charter.co ··· eid=2625 that HBO GO is not currently available for Charter Customers and read elsewhere that some operators have concerns about security....whatever that means. Basically the 2 just cant play nice.
bozzy
Simpsonville, SC

bozzy to mbreslin

to mbreslin
said by mbreslin:

Without knowledge of the terms of the deal from both sides, as well as the terms of the deals between apple and the other ISPs that work with HBOGo on apple tv, we have no way of knowing who is really at fault/who is being greedy (pro tip: It's 99% likely it's both of them).

The thing is there is no deal to be made between Charter and Apple. People assume that for some reason. It is Charter's responsibility to approve any new device. Approving a new device does not change the financial terms of the deal Charter has with HBO.
bozzy

bozzy to Icarus

to Icarus
said by Icarus:

read elsewhere that some operators have concerns about security

Security? Security of what exactly? Almost every single major cable operator supports HBO Go at this point. Even Charter. They just don't support it in your area for some reason.
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
This very well could be a petty issue between Charter and Apple. I have Directv and they do this type of thing with Roku. For some idiotic reason they do not support the Roku box on anything where you have to log in and verify your TV provider. That goes for HBOGo, A&E and others. Yet these same channels ARE supported by Directv on every other device that has them like my Samsung TV, XBox and even Apple TV.

Nobody really know the answer(well Directv does) as to why Directv doesn't support Roku but this sounds like a similar situation between Charter and Apple TV.

neilbert
@fidelity.com

neilbert to Mr Guy

Anon

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

So HBO allows HBOGO with Apple with EVERY OTHER CABLE PROVIDER that has HBOGO capability except Charter and yet it's not an Charter issue? In what world does that even make sense?

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy

Anon

said by neilbert :

said by Mr Guy :

So HBO allows HBOGO with Apple with EVERY OTHER CABLE PROVIDER that has HBOGO capability except Charter and yet it's not an Charter issue? In what world does that even make sense?

it makes sense it's an Apple problem. Apple is very protective of it's tech. So it makes 100% sense it's Apple doing this for whatever reason. Want another example. with Verizon they'll typically let you upgrade a week early at a Verizon stores on ANY deice except Apple products. Why? Because Apple refuses to let Verizon do that. Yet people want to get mad at Verizon. Apple has ALWAYS been this way with their products. You can put Windows on ANY PC. You can only put OS X on an Apple computer. You getting my point yet?
DigitalManny
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny

said by Mr Guy :

said by neilbert :

said by Mr Guy :

it makes sense it's an Apple problem. Apple is very protective of it's tech. So it makes 100% sense it's Apple doing this for whatever reason. Want another example. with Verizon they'll typically let you upgrade a week early at a Verizon stores on ANY deice except Apple products. Why? Because Apple refuses to let Verizon do that. Yet people want to get mad at Verizon. Apple has ALWAYS been this way with their products. You can put Windows on ANY PC. You can only put OS X on an Apple computer. You getting my point yet?

I can only assume you work Charter because you are very defensive about it and when all clearly no Charter is about power & greed not customer service.

CoolMan
join:2008-01-07
Maryville, TN
ARRIS BGW210-700
Netgear R7000

1 edit

CoolMan to Chuck_IV

to Chuck_IV
said by Chuck_IV:

This very well could be a petty issue between Charter and Apple. I have Directv and they do this type of thing with Roku. For some idiotic reason they do not support the Roku box on anything where you have to log in and verify your TV provider. That goes for HBOGo, A&E and others. Yet these same channels ARE supported by Directv on every other device that has them like my Samsung TV, XBox and even Apple TV.

Nobody really know the answer(well Directv does) as to why Directv doesn't support Roku but this sounds like a similar situation between Charter and Apple TV.

Actually just late last night DirecTV begun authenticating HBOGO on Roku.

»hd-report.com/2014/01/31 ··· on-roku/

»www.dbstalk.com/topic/21 ··· on-roku/
Chuck_IV
Connecticut

Chuck_IV

said by CoolMan:

said by Chuck_IV:

Actually just late last night DirecTV begun authenticating HBOGO on Roku.

»hd-report.com/2014/01/31 ··· on-roku/

»www.dbstalk.com/topic/21 ··· on-roku/

Yes, I saw that. I wonder what finally pursuaded Directv to allow Roku?
bozzy
Simpsonville, SC

bozzy

said by Chuck_IV:

Directv didn't allow HBO on Roku because of Dish's partnership with Roku. I'm guessing they just got tired of being petty. I see no other reason.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to DigitalManny

Anon

to DigitalManny
said by DigitalManny:

I can only assume you work Charter because you are very defensive about it and when all clearly no Charter is about power & greed not customer service.

Nope never have. I'm not defensive. I just am tired of constantly reading conspiracy theories. If you want to believe 2+2=5. Me telling you it's 4 does not mean I work for 4. It means I'm letting you know the truth. I'm not sure what kind of logic people have that if you don't agree with them then you work for the "enemy". Did it ever occur to you that I simply do not agree with you? I could easily say you MUST work for Apple since you insist it's not Apple's fault. I should report you for accusing me for working for Charter, but I won't.
Chuck_IV
Connecticut

Chuck_IV to bozzy

to bozzy
said by bozzy:

said by Chuck_IV:

Directv didn't allow HBO on Roku because of Dish's partnership with Roku. I'm guessing they just got tired of being petty. I see no other reason.

My intial thought was that they didn't want people to use a Roku because it tended to promot cord cutting. However, with the addition of other walled off channels(ie. requiring TV provider log in to get most/all content) like A&E, Lifetime, WatchESPN and History, Roku is now helping to better promote continuing your TV provider sub.

Whatever it was, I'm glad Directv came to their senses.