Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to telcodad

Re: [X1-X2] X2 deployment news

said by telcodad:

said by Davy49:

Hi All,
Unless I'm misunderstanding this whole upcoming X2 platform concept, won't I have to get a different X platform DVR eventually to take advantage of the 'cloud-based' platform ? I presently have the Pace XG1-P unit.

No, the XG1 DVR will continue to be part of the X1/X2 platform.

What will be added soon, that will take advantage of some of the new All-IP features of X2, is the new all-IP client box called the "Xi3."

Not sure if this "network DVR" being launched in Boston "very soon" is the Xi3 box:

Comcast prepares to launch network DVR in Boston
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - January 29, 2014
»www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···14-01-29
quote:
Comcast will soon flip the switch on a network-based DVR similar to the product Cablevision launched in 2010. During an interview with FierceCable at NBC's Rockefeller Center offices, Comcast SVP and GM of Video Services Matt Strauss said the service will be deployed very soon.

"It's something we will deploy market by market this year. It's going to start initially in the Boston area, and it's going to be very soon," Strauss said.
:
Comcast will offer the network-based DVR service to subscribers who have its X1 product, which relies on a cloud-based interactive program guide and home video gateway devices supplied by Pace. Boston was the first Comcast market to launch X1 in May 2012, when Comcast rolled out the service during The Cable Show convention.

EDIT: Karl has a DSLR News item about this now: »Comcast Remote Storage DVR Coming to Boston 'Very Soon'

tknex

join:2012-10-03

Cloud DVR launched yesterday in the Boston area. Xi3 is something different.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

said by tknex:

So does this "cloud DVR" or "network DVR" use/run-on the existing XG1 DVR boxes then?

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1

said by telcodad:

said by tknex:

So does this "cloud DVR" or "network DVR" use/run-on the existing XG1 DVR boxes then?

I assume that means the cloud DVR storage, since it uses existing stuff.

MrJitters

join:2003-11-29
East Montpelier, VT
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

Yup. Existing boxes. It should be pushed to you as an update to your X1. At that point you will agree to terms in a dialog box as is my understanding. Only those recordings on the "cloud" will be able to be accessed by the new app to your mobile device or computer.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

said by MrJitters:

said by telcodad:

Yup. Existing boxes. It should be pushed to you as an update to your X1. At that point you will agree to terms in a dialog box as is my understanding. Only those recordings on the "cloud" will be able to be accessed by the new app to your mobile device or computer.

Right so it's the cloud storage, as I figured. Not the full on cloud DVR (nDVR) stuff, since that's tied to the release of the Xi3's.

Davy49

join:2007-04-10
Jacksonville, FL
reply to bgoodbody

Hi All,
At this moment anyway, I'm so glad I switched to the xfinity x1 platform, seems to be getting better and better.
David

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT

said by Davy49:

Hi All,
At this moment anyway, I'm so glad I switched to the xfinity x1 platform, seems to be getting better and better.
David

Agreed. However, there is a new update out this morning.

STB TIIMSTAMP went from 12/10/13 to 1/17/14 - Version PR150BN_1.3.2s4_PRODsd

It screws up the overlays on the guide when going to favorites, etc.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Keep marching, boys.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

So does this mean that the ethernet port on back of the X1 box will be activated to take advantage of the cloud or will the coax continue to serve that purpose? Last week I had an X1 box installed and noticed the E port. Since I already had a plug for the networked Tivo I plugged it in. It lights up the bridge but I know it not functional at this time.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by YukonHawk:

So does this mean that the ethernet port on back of the X1 box will be activated to take advantage of the cloud or will the coax continue to serve that purpose?

As the XG1 DVR has a built-in DOCSIS cable modem to access all its IPTV content, I'm sure that it will continue to access the "cloud" content that same way (i.e., via its coax connection).

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

Thank you. My family absolutely loves the X1. My 7 year old son was changing the channels and setting up kid shows he wanted to record via the iPad App.. That was cool.

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to MrJitters

Ok so the XG1 DVR has a 500GB Hard Drive and how much more do we get for the DVR Cloud? And is it per box or house hold? I have 3 XG1 DVR's in my home so would each XG1 get it's own cloud storage? Or would all 3 XG1 share the same cloud storage?

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by gate1975mlm:

Ok so the XG1 DVR has a 500GB Hard Drive and how much more do we get for the DVR Cloud?

Well, earlier on, it sounded like 1TB of cloud storage would be provided: »Re: [X2] It's back

But from this most recent post about it »Re: [X1-X2] More X2 info? it now sounds like 500GB of cloud storage will be provided without any extra cost. After that, there will probably be a fee for each increment of XX GB used.

said by gate1975mlm:

And is it per box or house hold? I have 3 XG1 DVR's in my home so would each XG1 get it's own cloud storage? Or would all 3 XG1 share the same cloud storage?

Good question. All Ted Hodgins has said so far is: "Storage options and pricing options have not yet been announced."

My guess is, as you pay a fee for each XG1 DVR that you have, each box should therefore be allocated it's own amount of cloud storage (500GB?).

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT
reply to bgoodbody

ComcastTed over on the support forum deferred mention of the details of the cloud storage to ComcastThomas, who has not chimed in yet and may not ever based on past performance over there.

The poster who mentioned 500GB is most likely on the money, but we have no way of knowing for sure. Most likely when X1 Cloud goes live will still will not know other than doing the math after we put a few recordings on it and figure it out.

I too would think that each DVR would have it's own cloud storage, but at this point that is simply conjecture. You will know when you get it.

Now I would think that Comcast selling extra cloud space is simply a good business model and most likely will do it. I would. That does not mean they will, of course.

Cheers.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by MrJitters:

ComcastTed over on the support forum deferred mention of the details of the cloud storage to ComcastThomas, who has not chimed in yet and may not ever based on past performance over there.

OK, this is the thread on the Comcast Support forum you're referring to:

X1 DVR with cloud technology on the PC and mobile devices
By ComcastTeds
1-30-2014 11:21 AM - Edited 1-31-2014 3:09 PM
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-DVR-···/2019849

I'm taking that as a "cloud enhancement" feature to the X1 platform right now, and not the actual full X2 UI release.

I think the UI/Guide improvements, what Comcast says they internally call "X2," are still to come, and that's why Ted said "The guide interface will change (improvements all around)..."

NHHD99

join:2009-10-17
Hampton, NH
reply to bgoodbody

So I'm in the Boston market, have been interested in this, was doing some research online and decided to call the 1-800 # and try to sign up for this new feature. The good news is I am eligible for the "cloud service", there is no additional cost per month either.

The bad news is that you need a new modem. You need the "Wireless Gateway B Docis 3. Something or other" which is a new modem, newer than the ones we all have for the existing X1 service. There is no self install for this modem and there is a $49.99 fee to have a tech install it. The new modem is needed so the existing X1 boxes can be connected to your home network (like a Tivo box). Apparently this cannot be done with the existing modems that we all have and this also cannot bo done via self install, a tech visit is required to set up the X1 boxes.

Also, when you record a program, you still will record it to your existing X1 500GB hard drive. The "cloud technology" comes in only when you want to "take it to go", or to download to one of your devices (computer, phone, tablet). There is no additional recording space available to record more content. You also need to download the recording to your device and therefore it does not stream to the device. When you download it from your hard drive, it is no longer available to watch on your hard drive (like we all watch programs now) until you "return" it to your hard drive from the device that you downloaded to.

Bottom line, you still record to your X1 hard drive but can watch on any of your connected devices. There are limits to how many devices you can download to.

This seems like a nice service but definitely not worth all the hype....

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

ALSO, Remote Viewing and download is only supported on iPhone and Android phones
--
- Bill

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT
reply to NHHD99

said by NHHD99:

So I'm in the Boston market, have been interested in this, was doing some research online and decided to call the 1-800 # and try to sign up for this new feature. The good news is I am eligible for the "cloud service", there is no additional cost per month either.
The bad news is that you need a new modem. You need the "Wireless Gateway B Docis 3. Something or other" which is a new modem, newer than the ones we all have for the existing X1 service. There is no self install for this modem and there is a $49.99 fee to have a tech install it. The new modem is needed so the existing X1 boxes can be connected to your home network (like a Tivo box). Apparently this cannot be done with the existing modems that we all have and this also cannot bo done via self install, a tech visit is required to set up the X1 boxes.
Also, when you record a program, you still will record it to your existing X1 500GB hard drive. The "cloud technology" comes in only when you want to "take it to go", or to download to one of your devices (computer, phone, tablet). There is no additional recording space available to record more content. You also need to download the recording to your device and therefore it does not stream to the device. When you download it from your hard drive, it is no longer available to watch on your hard drive (like we all watch programs now) until you "return" it to your hard drive from the device that you downloaded to.
Bottom line, you still record to your X1 hard drive but can watch on any of your connected devices. There are limits to how many devices you can download to. seems like a nice service but definitely not worth all the hype....

Way to many hoops to jump through just to watch a show on your tablet or smartphone. I also cannot believe they are charging another 50 bucks for this on top of the 30 I already paid to get X1. Well actually I can, but the thought just peeees me off.
Count me out on this one. I am satisfied with what I have.

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT
reply to bgoodbody

said by bgoodbody:

ALSO, Remote Viewing and download is only supported on iPhone and Android phones

Actually currently only iphone. Android users will wait another year for the app. At least.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by MrJitters:

OK, this is the thread on the Comcast Support forum you're referring to:

X1 DVR with cloud technology on the PC and mobile devices
By ComcastTeds
1-30-2014 11:21 AM - Edited 1-31-2014 3:09 PM
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-DVR-···/2019849

FYI - Here are the links to the various FAQs pages from that thread:
quote:
X1 DVR with Cloud Technology - General FAQs
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ral-faqs

X1 DVR with Cloud Technology - Recording and Playback Features FAQs
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ack-faqs

X1 DVR with Cloud Technology - Download Feature FAQs
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···oad-faqs

Live TV Streaming on the X1 Platform FAQs
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···treaming

Quick Guide to X1 Cloud DVR - Boston February 2014
»forums.comcast.com/comcastsuppor···2014.pdf

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT

1 edit
reply to bgoodbody

There is no mention in those links about needing a gateway server to make all this happen. As a matter of fact, the fourth link actually says that this cloud service will automatically be downloaded to all current X1 customers. All one will need to do at that point is download the app to their device and agree to terms.

Sounds a little better now unless I am misunderstanding all this.

Cheers.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

Right considering the cloud storage is all server side, I can't see why you'd need anything new.

Live TV streaming is another matter, I'm surprised that the FAQ for that doesn't mention needing new hardware. It needs hardware that can transcode on the fly to a format for streaming to mobile apps. We don't know for sure, but the existing XG1's might not do that. I know the XG5's are specified to do that.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by NHHD99:

said by SpHeRe31459:

:
Live TV streaming is another matter, I'm surprised that the FAQ for that doesn't mention needing new hardware. It needs hardware that can transcode on the fly to a format for streaming to mobile apps. We don't know for sure, but the existing XG1's might not do that. I know the XG5's are specified to do that.

The "Wireless Gateway B" device that NHHD99 See Profile was told was needed is probably the ARRIS MG2402 RDK-based "whole-home network and entertainment gateway" »www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···y/141054 and »www.cedmagazine.com/products/201···-gateway

As that MCN article says: "Arris’s MG2402 can transcode up to four live TV or DVR streams simultaneously, using the transcoding chip from Zenverge."

Also see this recent thread on it: »[X1-X2] The Arris MG2402 Gateway

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN
reply to NHHD99

said by NHHD99:

Bottom line, you still record to your X1 hard drive but can watch on any of your connected devices. There are limits to how many devices you can download to.

This seems like a nice service but definitely not worth all the hype....

So from what I'm reading you do not get any more extra "cloud" storage from Comcast. You are just using the
500GB in the X1 box itself to transfer to other devices.
Does this sound correct?

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT
reply to SpHeRe31459

said by SpHeRe31459:

Live TV streaming is another matter, I'm surprised that the FAQ for that doesn't mention needing new hardware. It needs hardware that can transcode on the fly to a format for streaming to mobile apps. We don't know for sure, but the existing XG1's might not do that.

Good point. I have no information I can find anywhere that would indicate that the XG1 boxes have the hardware to transcode. If it turns out to be true that the XG1 does not transcode, it seems Comcast left out some very important info in their FAQ. Like a hardware swap, truck roll and service charge. Kind of important stuff to be leaving out IMHO.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA
reply to kb1

said by kb1:

So from what I'm reading you do not get any more extra "cloud" storage from Comcast. You are just using the
500GB in the X1 box itself to transfer to other devices.
Does this sound correct?

So from what little we know about the actual implimentation, apparently you don't see the space as an expansion on the X1's built-in hard drive, instead it would be more like a Dropbox storage space, it's an extra space that you have to explicitly copy something to.

So it's not using the X1's hard drive per-say, but it starts with a recording that is local to the drive and then is copied to Comcast's server where it is also transcoded into a mobile version of the recording.

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
reply to NHHD99

I have the Cloud DVR feature, there was no need for a change in the equipment for me. I have moto D3 emta with my own router. Just a quick account code change and it was up and running.

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

do you have comcast internet. if so that could be the problem i am having is that i don't haver comcast internet but have the Pace X1 DVR

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

1 edit
reply to aguiar0016

Cool glad to hear I most likely will not have to get a new modem from Comcast just so I can use the new cloud feature. My Arris TM822G is working just fine for me.

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT
reply to aguiar0016

said by aguiar0016:

I have the Cloud DVR feature, there was no need for a change in the equipment for me. I have moto D3 emta with my own router. Just a quick account code change and it was up and running.

Finally, a real life Bostonian who has the service!! Excellent news. Fill us in on the details. Questions:

1. Have you streamed live yet?
2. Have you streamed one of your recordings yet?
3. Does the cloud service provide any more storage space or does it just replace the on board HDD with the 500GB?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers.