share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

2 edits

Amex dispute declined

I disputed a transaction for valet parking since I was not quoted the price that was charged. I was quoted $18 to park but charged $40. I paid with my Amex card, then disputed the $22 difference. If I didn't pay, they wouldn't give me my car back.

Amex declined my dispute, stating the reason: I signed the receipt (at 9:59PM, see timeline below) agreeing to the charges.

That's bull, I had to sign it. Now what?

Timeline:
11:15AM - was told by employee A that it's $18 to park if I come back before 12AM (midnight). I did not sign anything.
9:59PM - came back and was told by employee B that it's $40 and employee A was mistaken (he actually told me maybe I parked my car somewhere else). I said I'd dispute it on my credit card. I gave my credit card and was charged $40. They gave me the receipt and I signed it.

PS. The parking place submitted two documents:
1. The slip from 11:15 which shows a signature and timestamp for 9:59PM $40. I did not sign that and the 9:59PM $40 was added afterwards.
2. The credit card receipt that I signed.

How should I handle this or any overcharge example in the future if it comes up?

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

You should have disputed it with the valet parking people.

AMEX was correct in their decision.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

I did, they said too bad and didn't care.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to fartness

What did the printed signs say?

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
reply to fartness

The valet company said too bad?
--

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fartness

Be more careful where you park

I disputed an AMEX charge for a rental car company in Ireland and it took 3 months but I got the credit. AMEX is usually pretty good on this stuff if there is a question.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to jadinolf

Yes.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to Gbcue

$18

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to SparkChaser

There is no way knowing ahead of time that they'll pull some scheme.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
reply to fartness

Ah hah

I'm so happy my travelin' days are over.
--

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1
reply to fartness

Disputed verbal statements made by low level employees are not a basis for a third party (Amex) to get involved. It is not Amex' place to reverse the valet company's business decision to charge you the higher rate.

How you should handle it in the future is to get it in writing, or carefully read and understand any posted signs; take a photo if necessary. Also, do not spend $100 worth of your time and effort fighting a $22 charge.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

I have spent $0 fighting it. It's being fought on principle for shady/illegal business tactics.

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

4 recommendations

reply to fartness

1) You should have added "under protest" when you signed the receipt. Then Amex could have helped you more.

2) Probably the parking garage is licensed by the city. You could have complained to them as well.

2a) For example, in the City of New York:
»www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/resour···nt.shtml

3) Am I mistaken, or do you seem to get into more of these disputes than the average person? You certainly post about all of them.

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
kudos:2
reply to fartness

Sign said (?)

Parking 18 dollars

not including tax and city fees

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

I guess the part that confuses me the most is the reason Amex gave for disputing it. I had no choice but to sign the receipt. Signing the receipt was the reason for losing the dispute.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA

I'm wondering how fast they would've changed their tune had you refused to sign & threatened to ring the police. Especially, if there were clear signs stating the correct charge.
--
Acme Electric Co.: We fix your shorts!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

said by Madness:

I'm wondering how fast they would've changed their tune had you refused to sign & threatened to ring the police. Especially, if there were clear signs stating the correct charge.

Yes exactly, and personally I'd avoid the whole thing and use a bicycle.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

I have spent $0 fighting it. It's being fought on principle for shady/illegal business tactics.

Then go after the business that runs or hired the valet parkers. AmEx does not have a dog in the fight as noted by other folks.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to fartness

AMEX will have a rebuttal process, just follow that.

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI

said by hitachi369:

He'll lose. He argued with the lowest level employee in the place, didn't alert management, then after arguing with a minimum wage worker, proceeded to give up, and allowed them to charge his card, and signed the receipt.

For future reference, had they refused to give you your property, thats theft, and assuming your car isn't a complete piece of crap, would probably be considered a felony. They wouldn't have kept your car.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

said by BKayrac:

said by hitachi369:

He'll lose.

You don't know that, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Also it is only $22 dollars. Depending on the OP's relationship with the AMEX they may just write it off.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to fartness

Did you tip the valet?

Cogitate

join:2014-01-01
US

said by jjoshua:

Did you tip the valet?

Yeah, I could hear the guy burning a years worth of rubber off my tires, coming up out of the bowels of the parking garage in the city.

I left with a little rubber out onto 7th Ave as he stood there waiting for something in his empty hand.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
reply to Madness

said by Madness:

They probably wouldn't have done anything. And if he really did call NYPD, they either wouldn't respond or take a really long time. The police can't do anything anyway, as this is a civil dispute.
--
No Victim=No Crime

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·T-Mobile US
·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

1 recommendation

reply to PX Eliezer

said by PX Eliezer:

1) You should have added "under protest" when you signed the receipt. Then Amex could have helped you more.

Good point. That plus a picture of the sign showing 18$ charge.
In my 17 years with Amex I never had a problem reversing a charge except once when I screwed up and did not dispute a charge for 6 months. They have the most customer friendly policy in regard to disputed charges from all credit card companies.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

said by cb14:

said by PX Eliezer:

Good point. That plus a picture of the sign showing 18$ charge.
In my 17 years with Amex I never had a problem reversing a charge except once when I screwed up and did not dispute a charge for 6 months. They have the most customer friendly policy in regard to disputed charges from all credit card companies.

My experience as well. AMEX is the one I want behind me in any dispute, be it a chargeback or extended warranty claim. They refunded me without blinking $800 on an early LCD monitor that went south post-manufacturer warranty that I was SURE they were going to kick on.

But in any dispute of this kind, you are ALWAYS rolling the dice. Do not expect consistently applied standards of justice when it comes to chargebacks, warranty claims, or lawsuits because it often comes down to how well you present your claim and luck of the draw = who reads/hears it.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

1 edit
reply to fartness

Parking scams are some of the worst. I parked in a "free" lot once (which was very large and also very empty at the time) that had signs stating that a 1-hour parking limit would be strictly enforced, and that your vehicle would be booted if it were in violation of this policy. It turned out that the guy monitoring the lot was booting as many cars as he could right away, just as soon as the driver was out of sight, leaving it to the driver to try and prove that they weren't in violation.

What was even more unconscionable about this was fact that the parking lot was associated with a business, so basically everyone parking there was a customer of theirs. I can't imagine any of those folks ever going back there after something like this; I know I certainly never will. But since this place was popular with tourists from out-of-town, maybe they could get away with this scam pretty easily.