Search similar:

uniqs
kolya
join:2013-11-28
Oakville, ON

kolya

[Cable] ipv6 tunnel traffic throttling

Hi

I'm experiencing weird issues with ipv6 tunnel I have.
I use ip6-in-ip4 (proto 41) tunnel from Hurricane Electric to get an access to ipv6 internet. Sometimes it works fine - no lost packets, ping time to google is almost the same as with ipv4.
Sometimes I'm getting 5-10% packet loss, and pings +40ms to what I have on ipv4 at the same time.
I've checked traceroute - the ipv4 path to google and ipv6 path to google are very similar apart from the 'jump' through tunnel.

I also noticed that the problem appears most badly during what I would consider 'peak hours' - evenings.

At first I thought that this HE doing something weird. But then I've setup my own tunnel to my own server and I see exactly same issue. In this case no traffic hits HE network, so this cannot be HE's problem.

So, my guess is that for some reason TekSavvy or cCable throttle this traffic during peak hours.
But this seems wrong - ipv6 tunnel traffic is not file-sharing, and can contain real time data. In fact I've noticed the problem because my google talks go though it.

Note: I do not get any noticeable performance issue during peak hours on ipv4.

So, does any body else experiencing same problem? Is this a know issue? Is it possible to fix?

I would be happy to provide any additional information should it be required.

Thanks!

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

I use the same tunnels and haven't noticed any issues.

Neither TekSavvy nor Cogeco throttle 41 to my knowledge.

Maybe a setup issue?
kolya
join:2013-11-28
Oakville, ON

kolya

Thanks for you reply!

I've opened ticket with HE but since I've noticed exactly same issue with different (non HE) tunnel server I doubted HE will find anything.

Are you using cCable as well?

In what area approximately are you located?

What sort of ping time do you have to google.com with ipv4 and ipv6? Are they different?

I'm located in Oakville. I have 15ms ping to google over ipv4 and in fluctuates by couple of ms. Over ipv6 I get 50ms and it fluctuates a lot - I often see as much as 100ms, some times I see 20ms.

I do not think it is a setup issue - I have been using same router/config for several years now. And I do not really see how router's setup can affect anything in the evening and work fine in the morning . All measurements done without any other internet usage.

Thanks again!