All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to MisterBill

to MisterBill

Re: [FiOS Phone] HELP Someone spoofing my name# as Caller ID on Telemarketing calls

"I thought that the law passed in 2010 made spoofing illegal, but I will admit to not having read it."

Just because it's law does not mean that people will follow the law. Besides there are tons of loopholes that they can use to get around the law. For one thing they just have to originate the call out side of the US.
battleop

battleop to lijacobs

to lijacobs
It would take a lot of work to track down and they are not going to waste resources on this without some sort of court order.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY

1 edit

MisterBill to nyrrule27

to nyrrule27
I called the FSC and the person was able to find the spoofing document and take my report. Got an email confirmation as well. We'll see what happens. I'll definitely call the FTC when they reopen tomorrow.

Return calls have picked up this morning so I guess I'm still being spoofed. I seem to have exceeded the FDV call log capacity because it's now only showing incoming calls starting Saturday after 5pm. I tried to have the FSC rep find the suspicious call I got Saturday morning right before this started, and she was unable to see it either, she also saw the same log start time as I see on the FiOS app. Good thing I cut and pasted a few pages of incoming call data into a spreadsheet on Saturday while it was still available.

Some guy in area code 843 must really be pissed because he called me at 9:34pm yesterday, then again at 2:18am and 7:33am today. Very happy I have the phone in DND mode! I've been watching for my number to show up on telemarketer reporting websites but it hasn't yet.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

The reason the call logs might not be showing much is because it doesn't start logging calls untill you sign into the fdv management page the first time.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

1 edit

MisterBill

said by nyrrule27:

The reason the call logs might not be showing much is because it doesn't start logging calls untill you sign into the fdv management page the first time

I've used the call logs before and there was plenty there when I looked on Saturday. The problem is that they appear to be a limited size. I've gotten so many calls, that it doesn't go any further back than 12:16pm TODAY! And that's in the app. On the website I only get 10 pages and it stops around 12:28pm. And the rep on the phone at the FSC couldn't see any further back than I could in the app. Now, I would hope that someone at Verizon has access to the full log. I could always ask the NSA .

In any event, the only numbers I consider worthy of saving are 1) the telemarketer who called me 20 minutes before this whole thing started (which may or may not be a coincidence), and 2) the woman who I spoke to after she left voicemail saying that she was going to call the police on me (I picked up the second time she called and explained what was going on and she was understanding). I have her voicemail saved, so I have her number.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to MisterBill

to MisterBill

Re: [FiOS Phone] Help! Someone is using my name/number for Telemarketing calls!

I call back for these reasons, also some people call numbers that are 5-10 years old not realizing the person they are calling has changed their number. I lost count how may parishioners were calling for my reverend services this sunday, lol
OSUGoose

OSUGoose to MisterBill

to MisterBill
They know they have reached a "real person" since the number doesn't play the disconnected tones. That's another option, white-list those who you know, the rest change your VM greeting to the disconnected tone and to answer after 1-3 rings.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

said by OSUGoose:

They know they have reached a "real person" since the number doesn't play the disconnected tones. That's another option, white-list those who you know, the rest change your VM greeting to the disconnected tone and to answer after 1-3 rings.

It seems like that would help if I were the one receiving telemarketer calls, not calls from individuals who I've allegedly called.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

4 edits

1 recommendation

thetick

I'm on the do not call and don't get many. When I do get a telemarketer I lay it on real thick and make them as uncomfortable as possible.

The last call was a young women. Once I realized it a was a telemarketer, I rudely interrupted her and said, "Wow your voice is sexy. What are you wearing? I just dropped my pants.. keep talking...." ---got much more vulgar---. Shockingly she remained on yapping away until I got really vulgar and she finally just hung up.

The one before was a guy and hung up right after "Wow your voice is sexy. ". Oddly enough the women tend to stay on much longer then men. Makes me think some of the women may also be phone sex operators.

It works really well. I'm pretty sure I never ever had a telemarketer more then once. This started out as a joke in college, but it's so effective decades later I still do the pervert chat to stop telemarketers from calling back.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

said by thetick:

I'm on the do not call and don't get many. When I do get a telemarketer I lay it on real thick and make them as uncomfortable as possible.

This is great!

So I've been checking the calls coming in, and it appears that one of them was from a relative I haven't spoken to in many years (the spelling of the name is pretty distinctive). I'm undecided whether I should call back. He did call 3 times in a row.
MisterBill

MisterBill

Re: [FiOS Phone] HELP Someone spoofing my name# as Caller ID on Telemarketing calls

Called the FTC and they took my report, but said they do not investigate individual incidents. I gave them the name of the telemarketer who had called me 20 minutes before this whole thing started so maybe they will find someone else who had the same thing happen.

I white-listed the relative who had called me and he called back this morning. As I suspected, he was called by the spoofer. I realized he might have thought I was calling him with some bad news. I told him it wasn't me and there was no news.
MisterBill

1 edit

MisterBill

So, I am thrilled to announce that Verizon seems to have resolved my problem. I had noticed that the calls dropped off the last couple of days, and then today I got a Twitter Direct Message from the VerizonSupport id (I had reported it to them originally, and sent them the FSC and FTC report ids)

Hello! Our team received word that the carriers processing the traffic have been identified and reached out in order to get that traffic terminated. Please let us know if those calls are still happening. Thank you!

(for those who will say that is longer than 160 characters, I merged two DM's together)

I then asked if they had any details on whether they found and reported the offender, but sadly, they responded

Not sure =( they did not provide those details.

In any event, I am very impressed. I would love to get details that they were able to get these calls stopped. I should look for the FSC problem record (I got email when it was created) and see if there are more details in there.

Update: I went to the FSC site where I was told I could view my problems, but it told me "We found no open tickets for this account." Is there any way to view closed tickets?
MisterBill

MisterBill

Update -- the calls have started up again this morning. Let's see what Verizon can do.