share rss forum feed

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2

[MO] Columbia MO outage?

Have lost all data and phone service at UPA. Video appears OK.

Anyone else?

(who broke what? )
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

Zed Dub

@mycingular.net

Internet out for me in CoMo

shadowfaxes

join:2001-09-16
Lees Summit, MO
reply to alphapointe

Out for me as well. Green meadows/Southwest Columbia.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

There is a very widespread outage due to some damaged equipment. Network Operations is working on this now and we are hoping it should be fixed soon.

shadowfaxes

Lees Summit, MO

Figures. I was finally getting my girlfriend set up on her own steam account.

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA
reply to MediacomChad

Was Waterloo affected by this? Got home to my son complaining he couldn't get online to game. The world will end you know if Xbox live is interupted.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24

Yes, Waterloo was affected, KWWL has a blurb on their website about it. We lost service in Independence about 8:30 this morning.

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA

Out again.

shadowfaxes

Lees Summit, MO
reply to alphapointe

Looks like it is out again.

spaceboy909

join:2013-11-22
Columbia, MO
reply to alphapointe

It just came back up about 20 minutes ago (1:30am) I'm in the Whitegate area.

I know stuff breaks, but....this is really getting old.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
Columbia, MO
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..
reply to alphapointe

I'm curious to know what piece of equipment was so damn critical that losing it took out a wide swath of data and voice (for over 12 hours), but it had no backup...

Truth to tell, I hope MC gets nailed BIG TIME by the FCC for this... you want to be phone company? POTS is known for fault-tolerance...
--

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1

said by alphapointe:

Truth to tell, I hope MC gets nailed BIG TIME by the FCC for this... you want to be phone company? POTS is known for fault-tolerance

they wont, read the fine print, they market is an "entertainment service" and recommend you have a cellphone backup, its why in the end when my promo went out 2 years ago and they refused to extend it, i ported my number over to a second line on my, yup, cell phone. all of $10/mo

its all so why they dont offer a "life line credit" only real phone companies offer those.

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA

Yea. FCC won't give a hoot. I finally dropped the phone as my youngest now has a cell phone. Call clarity is better on our cell phones than Mediacom anyway.

twhiting9275

join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to alphapointe

said by alphapointe:

I'm curious to know what piece of equipment was so damn critical that losing it took out a wide swath of data and voice (for over 12 hours), but it had no backup...

From their own forums

*Update* This has been determined to be an issue with the primary DHCP server for this service market.

»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···=18061.0

Started around 7am for me, continued until 2, with about an hour of usability between 4 and 5

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
Columbia, MO
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..

WOW! After reading that, based on the "let's see how long we can assfuck the customer" attitude of the admins, I'll be recommending to Mark that we drop mediacom. I hope you enjoy losing a ~$6k/month customer...
--

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

Yeah, I wish it was that easy for me.
I don't know what disgusts me more here
#1: The fact that it took 2/3rds of a day to just get this issue resolved
OR
#2: That these people are so cheap they've got 6 states (2 of which can't be small markets at all) on one DHCP server with no actual functioning backup (they claim it existed), and no secondary backup.

Like I said in that thread, I'm a systems admin for web hosts. If I EVER treated my clients as poorly as mediacom has treated us over the past week, I'd NEVER get any work again.

From the premium services stunt (HBO/Starz/etc just stopped working on Wednesday evening for massive markets, for about 24 hours) to this... Someone deserves a HUGE ass kicking.

ghosti

@mchsi.com

Mediacom HAS NO BACKUP SYSTEMS, if they did, there would be nowhere near the amount of outages we experience. There is also no monitoring despite their claims otherwise. I have yet to have an outage they knew about (wide area) before reporting it.

Just look at all the fiber cuts, their competitors route around the cut as they have the backup system and links to do so. Mediacom has refused to invest in backups, so you are completely down until the fiber can be repaired.

I am confused though, Chad said it was damaged equipment, but based on the locked thread, this was a software/server failure with no backup system capable to handle the load of 5 states (no surprise there). The misinformation and misleading replies really get old.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by ghosti :

Just look at all the fiber cuts, their competitors route around the cut as they have the backup system and links to do so. Mediacom has refused to invest in backups, so you are completely down until the fiber can be repaired.

I couldn't agree more there, though maybe they're learning? I don't recall a cut in 2013... Either that or old age is catching up with me

spaceboy909

join:2013-11-22
Columbia, MO
reply to ghosti

said by ghosti :

Mediacom HAS NO BACKUP SYSTEMS, if they did, there would be nowhere near the amount of outages we experience. There is also no monitoring despite their claims otherwise. I have yet to have an outage they knew about (wide area) before reporting it.

Yeah, that has always annoyed me. If it's something 'smaller', they have no idea when I call in. If it's larger, I think the 'monitoring systems' they rely on are the pissed off customers calling in! lol Maybe we should bill them for our services? lol