spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Dreyfus
join:2013-02-18

1 recommendation

Dreyfus

Why is Shaw running tracking scripts?

If I type an invalid URL in my browser, I am automatically redirected to assist.shaw.ca, which runs the edgesuite.net script. It apparently is:

"network of sites, cookies & other technologies used to track you, what you do and what you click on, as you go from site to site, surfing the web".

If Shaw is going to automatically redirect me, it should at least have the courtesy to not run any tracking scripts.

diffdnd
@telus.com

diffdnd

Anon

So don't use their dns. Problem solved.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

1 recommendation

jtl999

Use different DNS
216.21.128.22 (Radiant Vancouver)
137.82.1.1 (UBC Vancouver)

Kinzy
@shawcable.net

Kinzy to diffdnd

Anon

to diffdnd
lol its just shaw making money of of dns redirect. it will only happen if you type in an invalid url and its really never been a problem to me. and atleast where i live i have never had a problem with shaw dns they actually seem to be the best for me as far as response time goes

jtl999
canada

jtl999

When I had Shaw. I couldn't opt out through their web page at all. I had to call Shaw and ask them. Or you could use other DNS servers.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Dreyfus

to Dreyfus
Currently using unblock-us for DNS, however other than that I always use google's 8.8.8.8 and never had a single issue, just works.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

kevinds to Dreyfus

Premium Member

to Dreyfus
nxr.shaw.ca to disable the redirects, should affect all connections using your modem

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

Shaw_Alex to Dreyfus

to Dreyfus
We have a document explaining our DNS Redirect and how to opt out at »community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1218

jtl999
canada

jtl999

I know. The Opt Out never worked when I had Shaw. Just use another DNS server if opt out does not work. Haven't seen this new document yet.

Curious Me
@videotron.ca

Curious Me to Shaw_Alex

Anon

to Shaw_Alex
From Shaws webpage:
quote:
The DNS Redirect service is meant to suppress browser errors and prevent your browser from traveling to an incorrect or unverified website.
Interesting.
So Shaw verifies every webpage on the face of the earth? To what do you verify it to? It has me curious. What does Shaw's website verification consist of?

Alex, can you elaborate a bit on this? Thanks.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

If the url you enter doesn't have a valid A DNS record, the DNS server redirects to a web-search that displays results with what you might have wanted

Curious Me
@videotron.ca

Curious Me

Anon

That's what it should be, but that is not what their webpage states, is it?

It tries to fool people who may not know better into thinking this is some kind of protection because it states, "prevent your browser from traveling to unverified websites".

This is just plain deception on Shaw's part here. They should maybe also state if they profit off of this interception and redirection.

But I'll let Shaw_Alex speak on behalf of Shaw and this deception. Perhaps Shaw really does "verify every webpage on the face of the earth" for their customers like their website implies.

Over to Shaw...
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

I'm curious about how often people type in a wrong URL. I spend most of the day on the web, and it rarely happens to me. Actually, how often does one type in a URL? A few times in a day perhaps. Most addresses are via link, cut/paste, or from your cache. No?
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame to Dreyfus

to Dreyfus
Up next: Shaw implements daily customer spanking.
A certified spanking technician will be showing up at a regular time everyday to give an account holder a good spanking.

Please stand by for the opt-out url...

Curious Me
@videotron.ca

Curious Me

Anon

said by ilianame:

Please stand by for the opt-out url...

I opted out, but got spanked anyhow.
Why?
I deleted the cookie that had my opt-out.

Even then, their website doesn't even adequately explain what the opt-out is. Is it cookie based? Seems they hide that from the people as well.

That would be pretty skanky if it is cookie based and every customer is auto opt-in.

Over to Shaw... to explain the lie on their webpage, what the opt-out is, if they made it clear to their beloved customers that Shaw auto opted all their beloved customers into this, and how someone may have to opt-out constantly 99 times a day if their browser is not set to keep cookies in perpetuity.

Where's Shaw_Alex??

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

My understanding is that it affects the modem, so every device, clicking the opt-out should disable it.

However I do know that sometimes it simply just doesn't opt-out, and needs Shaw's higher support employees to fix

Curious Me
@videotron.ca

Curious Me

Anon

So it works by MAC number?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

By modem serial number or MAC address, not MAC of the device connecting

Curious Me
@videotron.ca

Curious Me

Anon

said by kevinds:

By modem serial number or MAC address, not MAC of the device connecting

So after calling in due to defective quality of service, no one knows how it works?

Shaw just re-auto-opts people in when they have in fact already opted out.

That is basically what you stated?

Is it mac address? serial? Cookie?

Anyone know because Shaw sure as hell doesn't make it clear as they are supposed to, and required to.

Shaw_Alex? How does it work? Can you point me to Shaw's privacy policy, or a ToS, that states what it is based on?

Shaw_Alex, (OR ANYONE AT SHAW) based on what kevinds stated about not really knowing how the opt-out works, and based on people (kevinds) stating they have to call in to re-opt-out because Shaw`s opt-out is full of bugs that prevent people from actually opting-out, even when they did, What have you got to say for this quality system you haveÉ

Please reply as I am going to be a future Shaw customer.

The policy you have is not at all transparent, nor does it address the issues brought up, and in addition, the finer details are well hidden. I believe this goes against privacy requirements, and sincere honest disclosure.

I wish to thank Shaw Communications in advance to clearing this up.

Best regards,

A potential Future Shaw Customer.

PS:
Shaw_Alex (or other Shaw employee working these forums) since information is lacking, can you please point me to someone who can maybe answer my questions.

I would also like to know what triggers the bug in the opt-out failure.

Thank you.

Looking forward to a positive reply from Shaw.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

»community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1218

A few details, but hopefully Alex can answer your questions

littlel
@atb.com

littlel to Dreyfus

Anon

to Dreyfus
Q. Why is Shaw running tracking scripts?
A. To generate some chump change revenue, about $1K per day