spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Akaz

join:2010-09-12

CTV Go locked for cord cutters

Seems to happened finally. Cannot watch either Big Bang or two and a half men at all. Tried both web via PC and iPad app

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Worse yet, even if you have a Rogers cable sub, you can't use the CTV go app, because Rogers hasn't paid Bell the ransom money...

This shit is getting insane... CRTC let this shit happen.
--

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

1 recommendation

They're doing you a favour, now you don't watch CTV and their ad revenue goes down. It'll just make the death of conventional TV go that much faster then we'll have better priced streaming options.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Oh, i know. i dont watch the shit anyway. i download stuff without commercials.

But curiosity got me when i downloaded the CTV GO app, only to be show the message when I picked Rogers as my cable sub from the list.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

They're doing you a favour, now you don't watch CTV and their ad revenue goes down.

Exactly CTV is one of those stations that could only survive in Canada...
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Akaz
The best part is that they're shooting themselves in the foot doing it this way.

By making sure that no one other than people *already* subscribed to their services use them, they lose the chance to lure in the curious.

If they were so concerned about people skipping through the ads, make it so the video cannot be fast forwarded when the commercials play (or play a commercial immediately before the video resumes) I would think no one would have a problem with that reasonable compromise.

I mean what the hell is CTV actually *losing* when a non subscriber views their service? 50 cents a head? If that?

Great way to piss people off CTV

NefCanuck

Grappler

join:2002-09-01
Ottawa, ON
reply to Akaz
I have no problem getting CTV online, I am not asked who my provider is nor do I subscribe to any of Bell's services. Is it possible that their website is also using DNS information to allow people to watch? I am on Teksavvy GCable, maybe it is seen as being a part of Cogeco.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

I mean what the hell is CTV actually *losing* when a non subscriber views their service? 50 cents a head? If that?

^Shrugs^ I still get CTV via OTA, not missing anything, and they don't make a penny offa me. \o/
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to Akaz
It's only asking me to sign in with my provider if I click on "Watch Live".
I went to shows, clicked on Castle, went to the latest video (43 minute episode) and it started playing just fine.

I am on Distributel Cable.

otheroptions3

join:2007-01-17
ctv seems to have gone downhill since bell took over. here in ottawa they run two channels out of the same building. the bell shills are slowly being moved in and they have no ties to the community and seem to be using ottawa as a stepping stone to move along.

part of the ctv purchase was to keep the local content. in this area rogers is miles ahead of bell. in ottawa they have had ties to one of the local colleges (algonquin).

to me it seems bell and all the cash they have makes short sited decisions. they bought the radio shack aka the source chain in canada with the goal of pushing the mobility cell phones. the source had a deal with rogers that prohibited bell phone services fro the stores they ran the source chain of stores for over a year not being able to put the bell mobile services in the stores they purchased....that was funny

i can see where they are going with the tv situation and trying to get people to pay. go for it bell I grew up with 4 stations and the remote was on a cord hooked to the tv and you pushed buttons. Was a huge upgrade to turning the channel on the tv for those of you that even remembe rthat.

Then we got a huge arial (?sp) and snagged a couple more channels. So OTA is picking up speed. It s the route im exploring and I ll be back to a half dozen channels. It all coes full circle .

Next thing for Bell is going to be home security, once again they will be playing catch up to Rogers. Bell used to be a leader, now they simply watch rogers and try and follow.

jack mack 01

@206.47.249.x
hasnt anyone noticed that this is a COMPLIMENTARY SERVICE above and beyond your existing subscription, your getting CTV already on your bell subscription, you can now watch CTV at no additional cost on your tablet, this was not meant for people to REPLACE WATCHING IT ON THEIR TV. remember this is a COMPLIMENTARY SERVICE, not everyone will be able to get this, if u dont have a cable subscription this does not apply to you, stuck with your antenna.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
said by jack mack 01 :

hasnt anyone noticed that this is a COMPLIMENTARY SERVICE above and beyond your existing subscription, your getting CTV already on your bell subscription, you can now watch CTV at no additional cost on your tablet, this was not meant for people to REPLACE WATCHING IT ON THEIR TV. remember this is a COMPLIMENTARY SERVICE, not everyone will be able to get this, if u dont have a cable subscription this does not apply to you, stuck with your antenna.

LMAO, someone's been drinking the koolaid. FYI, I do have a TV subscription that I pay for and I still cannot use this crapware.

What Bell is doing is trying to force people to subscribe to Bell by blocking out other TV providers from this service.
Expand your moderator at work

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to Akaz

Re: CTV Go locked for cord cutters

Yep, just tried it and it doesn't work. After cutting cable, I've been watching some series by streaming through my Boxee Box. That doesn't work anymore. There were ads while watching - one would assume they got some revenue from that. Screw them. I'll read instead.

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal
Videotron isn't even on their list at all.

En Enfer
This account has been compromised

join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC
kudos:4
reply to Akaz
The #1 rule : Shows are available to all for 7 days. After that, you need a login user/pass from a "participating" service provider.

Live TV always requires user/pass... but it's stupid since you can get CTV, Global, Citytv and other conventional stations for free over-the-air (think also Mobile DTV), without a subscription from a provider...

For CTV Go, it's for Bell sat/fibe customers only.
For Global Go, it's was for Shaw sat/cable customers only, but it's now open to Rogers and Cogeco customers.

Across the border, Fox and now ABC decided that you need to be a paying customer of Hulu Plus if you want to watch the latest episode. After 7 days, it's unlocked.

I have a hand-me-down iPhone 3GS running iOS6 (this device cannot upgrade to iOS7). There was a forced upgrade for the Global Go app. After selecting a show, localisation service have to be turned on or else the video won't play (CTV Go will popup a reminder annoyingly if you turned it off, but will play the video anyway). Well, after the first commercial break, the Global Go app will crash. That app is now completely useless for the 3GS.

On a semi-related topic, streaming CTV videos from CTV.ca using a computer running a Linux flavor OS no longer works due to Adobe Flash Player no longer supported, added with DRM crapola. Forced to boot in Windows or run a Windows VM (Virtual Machine). Argh!
--
Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."

MOES TAVERN

@206.47.249.x
LIKE I KEEP SAYING, BUT MODS KEEP DELETING, DONT DELETE THIS PLEASE.

ITS FOR BELL CUSTOMERS NOW, BUT OTHER CUSTOMERS WILL BE SLOWLY ADDED TO CTV GO. I GUARENTEE IT

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Yea thanks for the explanation, Mr. Shill.
--

Treegravy
Premium
join:2011-04-21
canada
reply to Akaz
Ironic they chose a name similar to HBOGO.

Akaz

join:2010-09-12
reply to En Enfer
said by En Enfer:

The #1 rule : Shows are available to all for 7 days. After that, you need a login user/pass from a "participating" service provider.

That is probably it. It use to be u could watch last 2 episodes and the locked or removed older ones but now they (and maybe even global) have switched to this 7 day rule. Would ripping the episode from their website in the first week for later viewing considered illegal or is that considered equal to recording OTA/cable for later viewing?

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Akaz
Yep, I tried CTVGo too, ran into the same issues being I'm a TELUS Optik customer.

here's the thing. I'm a CTV customer. I watch their shows, I subscribe to their channel. I am not a Bell customer. If this was BellOnTheGo or something, I could understand the restrictions. So yeah, this is sneaky pool in my book.

Locally, the CTV channel has gone to pot. The local news has turned into amateur hour with a barebones staff. Which is a shame, because they used to be competitive and strong. Now Global is eating their lunch.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

toobad

@noisetor.net
reply to Akaz
I kind of liked CTV, but only their main news and investigative reports like W5. I never really watched anything else, beyond maybe cartoons when I was a kid.

Really it is a shame that they are gone... indeed I noticed ctvnews.ca and ctv.ca stopped working for me a few months ago. After broadcast TV went digital I did not even bother buying the digital converter/receiver, ctv.ca was my only way. Well nostalgia will not help, I hope for the best for all the amazing journalists and broadcaster that were working there.

Oh ya I remember also liking a science show on weekends when I was a teen, forgot the title of it thought. I think I saw a rerun of it at my gym a few weeks ago.

tv_bullshit

@fastwebserver.de
reply to Akaz
I went the easiest way - I don't watch all that TV bullshit alltogether. Saves me a lot of time for other more important things in my life.

ctv go

@206.47.249.x
tmn go used to only be bell subscribers then they added all the other cable companies later, and tmn is owned by bell, so is ctv so if you were to put 1 and 1 together, you could intelligently draw your own conclusion that wait a second, ctv go will be available to other cable companes down the road too, wow why didnt i think of that?

and btw? wtf is a shill? did u do a typo?

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Akaz
Some how CTV is the #1 rated network in Canada... So unlike the views on here.. someone clearly is watching something.

Since Bell's take over, It would seem they are looking out for BELL and making it so if you want extras from Bell, you have to be a bell customer.

Canada's approach to OTA channels has been wrong which is why every one is failing. Good example of this is all the OTA channels in Buffalo vs Toronto. Toronto only has 4 mainstream OTA's with one of those being tax payer funded (cbc).

Buffalo with half the population, has over 7 OTA's, 3 of which run their own news departments. Toronto has issues supporting 2 with news, as Rogers keeps cutting City's, and CBC getting help by the tax payer doesn't count. It's nothing to to with viewers/advertisers, it's the ownership, approach, and getting away from basics.

The US also has most local stations owned by local owners, who happen to be an affiliate of a network. It saves money for everyone. CTV/Global/City/CBC are all owned by the network with very few local affiliates.

For example, CITY TV did better financially as a NEWS, MOVIES, MUSIC HYPER LOCAL focused channel.. Now they run all these big expensive shows, but financially have issues balancing the books and keep laying people off. Smart programming vs expensive programming sometimes is what's needed on OTA's. CTV 2 is in the hole financially because they are buying shows that are too expensive for the markets they are in.

CTV's local news went down in quality, when the network owner at the time bought all the local affiliates. Now the focus is on NATIONAL not local, and has been for years. This is why poor quality, inexperienced and green staff make it on the air locally. You can't get quality paying low wages and grabbing people fresh out of school. Selling these local stations to local owners, allows each owner to build up local staff and put pride locally on what they do.

CHCH Hamilton is a excellent example of how OTA should be... They went from major financial hole to very profitable, with a simple low cost approach, which isn't new. It's actually the OLD Citytv approach. Maybe it's time OTA's get back to this.

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB
said by koreyb:

Some how CTV is the #1 rated network in Canada... So unlike the views on here.. someone clearly is watching something.

Don't get me wrong, CTV has the best Primetime (read: US purchased primetime shows) in the country. But their local stuff is laughable.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I think the decision was made BLOW the money on the US Shows, instead of spending it on LOCAL, which is the wrong approach for OTA overall if you hope to keep viewers. Better to give up some shows and increase local quality. The US networks are all available in Canada, why do we need to have every show they do?

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB
Because Canadian advertisers will spend BIGGER money for space on those shows.