MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Akaz1

Premium Member

to Akaz1

Re: CTV Go locked for cord cutters

For me the question is: Is there ANYTHING I'd really want to watch on CTV?
Answer: No

Problem solved.

zirgkib
@cloudsigma.com

zirgkib

Anon

said by MaynardKrebs:

For me the question is: Is there ANYTHING I'd really want to watch on CTV?
Answer: No

Problem solved.

Not even W5? wink wink (I have not seen an episode in maybe a year, so maybe it went to shit by now )

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

En Enfer to ctv go

to ctv go
said by ctv go :

tmn go used to only be bell subscribers then they added all the other cable companies later, and tmn is owned by bell, so is ctv so if you were to put 1 and 1 together

Yea thanks for the explanation, Mr. Shill. But there's a huuuuge difference here.

People actually OPT to PAY 15$ in average for TMN/HBO. Of course, customers from other service providers will gain access to TMN Go. You pay for a service, you get service and cooperation from your provider to validate that you're an actual customer. Oh, and TMN Go started while it belonged to Astral, before the transaction to Bhell. Your analogy is wrong.

CTV is an OVER-THE-AIR network with 20 or so stations across the country. In other words, for Mr-I-sold-my-soul-to-Bhell here, You can be a subscriber to any service provider (Shaw, Rogers, Vidéotron, Cogeco) or grab it with rabbit ears antenna, you get CTV for free and nobody is paying subscription fees to CTV. It's all ad-supported.

Why would any service provider waste ressources and money on an authentification gateway for service offered on basic? It's PLAIN STUPID !

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

if I was CTV, I'd offer the Go app for free to everyone, but $5 for live streaming. In other words, free to watch one week old shows, or $5/month to watch stuff like NFL and primetime shows live on a tablet or mobile device.

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm to En Enfer

Anon

to En Enfer
What if... What if basic disappeared? What if skinny basic disappears? What if "must carry" ends and people no longer have to pay for crap they never wanted in the first place?

This is the only scenario I can think of where the above would work or even make sense.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to En Enfer

Premium Member

to En Enfer
said by En Enfer:

said by ctv go :

tmn go used to only be bell subscribers then they added all the other cable companies later, and tmn is owned by bell, so is ctv so if you were to put 1 and 1 together

Yea thanks for the explanation, Mr. Shill. But there's a huuuuge difference here.

People actually OPT to PAY 15$ in average for TMN/HBO. Of course, customers from other service providers will gain access to TMN Go. You pay for a service, you get service and cooperation from your provider to validate that you're an actual customer. Oh, and TMN Go started while it belonged to Astral, before the transaction to Bhell. Your analogy is wrong.

CTV is an OVER-THE-AIR network with 20 or so stations across the country. In other words, for Mr-I-sold-my-soul-to-Bhell here, You can be a subscriber to any service provider (Shaw, Rogers, Vidéotron, Cogeco) or grab it with rabbit ears antenna, you get CTV for free and nobody is paying subscription fees to CTV. It's all ad-supported.

Why would any service provider waste ressources and money on an authentification gateway for service offered on basic? It's PLAIN STUPID !

Sure maybe stupid but Global is doing almost exactly the same thing except you only authenticate to watch the older episodes and live tv. I suspect they will soon require a subscription for all online streaming though.
BACONATOR26

BACONATOR26 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

if I was CTV, I'd offer the Go app for free to everyone, but $5 for live streaming. In other words, free to watch one week old shows, or $5/month to watch stuff like NFL and primetime shows live on a tablet or mobile device.

If you were CTV this would be a much different conversation. But the current CTV is locking in to cable and satellite platforms as their main revenue driver so that means no free online content.

I also get the feeling they may decide to shut down OTA at some point.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

I don't think the CRTC will allow them to shut down OTA.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by shaner:

Its easy - they just surrender their license at the next renewal. Poof - gone.

En Enfer
Montreal, QC

En Enfer to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

I also get the feeling they may decide to shut down OTA at some point.

Around 2010-2011, before the analog shutdown, there was a proposition to flush out the american networks from all service providers, so there was no longer need for simulcast simsubbing, and therefor, they no longer needed an OTA signal as a requirement. Without the across-the-border competition, this move would allow canadian stations to arrange schedule their own way, collect subscription revenues and produce/air more original canadian content.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, as most Toronto residents can access Buffalo stations OTA, Montreal access Vermont stations, the border PBS stations count on canadians for donations, and the proposal will be in violation of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

said by NefCanuck:

I mean what the hell is CTV actually *losing* when a non subscriber views their service? 50 cents a head? If that?

^Shrugs^ I still get CTV via OTA, not missing anything, and they don't make a penny offa me. \o/

+1 OTA all the way.

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm to BACONATOR26

Anon

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

I suspect they will soon require a subscription for all online streaming though.

I wrote that here before about a month ago (+/-).

Apparently Bibic stated that all content in Canada will require double-authentication during his speech at the ICC conference (I wasn't there, but some here were).

I contacted CPAC since they recorded it and they came back to me and stated, "We did not record the address given during lunch".

:|

So yeah, From what I heard about the speech Bell gave during that lunch, which CPAC decided not to record, all content in Canada will require double-authentication. In addition to this, Bell will be lobbying the gov for heavy penalties (READ: copyright fines) and *new laws* for obtaining content outside of Canadian parameters.

If anyone was at this conference, could you please add to this? Thanks.

ZombieNoMore
@dataclub.biz

ZombieNoMore to Akaz1

Anon

to Akaz1
It's so funny to see how many people actually are so worried about such a small thing as useless shows and information pushed into their brains by masters. Do yourself a favour, go see your parents, take your family somewhere, meet some friends etc.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

Maybe not per-se, but they could always apply for a cable license and then mothball the OTA stations - the only casualty would be what little remaining local programming remains.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver

I think the only reason that OTA exists is for the big players to keep small players off the airwaves. There would be a big lineup of applicants for a vacated OTA slot that would then become competition!

rick jason
@206.47.249.x

rick jason

Anon

this is a message for mister sthill or strill or what ever crazy non existant nick name you gave that guy, he is correct, your paying for ctv just as much as your paying for tmn go, cos the cost of ctv is included in your cable subscription, you just dont see it, but he is right, ctv go only allows bell customers right now but they will slowly allow other cable cos just like tmn go did, they only allowed bell at first now they work with all the cable cos. and i can guarentee that movie central go will allow non shaw customers very shortly, im subscribed to movie central on my cable package, so its only a matter of time the go app will allow me to watch it, just wait and see.

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

3 edits

Spike5 to Akaz1

Premium Member

to Akaz1
Click for full size
they all come in perfect
Yet at the same time they continue to cry about those dirty pirates.

Limiting the free streaming to cable subs simply drive people to it.
Take the 7 day streaming delays in the US for instance....

»torrentfreak.com/abcs-7- ··· -140118/

People are cord cutters because they don't want to pay $100/mo on crap. Cable companies are already double dipping with all the ads they make people pay for.

Do they seriously expect people will come flocking back to cable when they impose such harsh restrictions and delays on free *AD SUPPORTED* streaming options? No, they will lose that ad revenue completely by doing such!

Unlike the US, which are simply delaying, completely eliminating streaming here in Canada will simply cause people to go elsewhere, and it won't be cable TV like they expect.

PS: I love my OTA HD. I get about 30 channels (including SD subcarriers).
CTV is one I rarely watch, because American ads are far more entertaining than being told I need life insurance every 5 minutes. I get to see relevant ads, like Google Play.

EDIT: I must add that CTV is the only one still broadcasting on a lower power VHF-HI frequency, everything else is high powered UHF. They appear to love the limited coverage this allows already.
CHCH recently changed to UHF, making CTV the only remaining.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to hmm

to hmm
said by hmm :

In addition to this, Bell will be lobbying the gov for heavy penalties (READ: copyright fines) and *new laws* for obtaining content outside of Canadian parameters.

I'd like to see them try to stop me from picking up Detroit OTA stations from Windsor
what07
join:2013-07-18
Toronto, ON

what07 to Akaz1

to Akaz1
I stopped watching CTV on tv after dave devall retired. But now I can't even watch it online. zzzzzzzz

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to hmm

Premium Member

to hmm
If basic disappeared CTV et al would be bankrupt within a month.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

NefCanuck to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

said by NefCanuck:

I mean what the hell is CTV actually *losing* when a non subscriber views their service? 50 cents a head? If that?

^Shrugs^ I still get CTV via OTA, not missing anything, and they don't make a penny offa me. \o/

Oh I cut the cable noose too (and my wallet is thanking me for it) for the five hours of TV I actually watched in a month, only US network I'm not getting is Fox since WUTV is using a directional antenna (why the other buffalo stations aren't puzzles me)

I'm finding that OTA does me just fine thanks...

NefCanuck
65194623 (banned)
join:2014-01-14

65194623 (banned) to Akaz1

to Akaz1
A non issue for me. It wasn't usable even before as CTV is using proprietary Flash; total garbage. Either way I download everything.

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

1 recommendation

Rickkins to Akaz1

to Akaz1
Sick Beard.

En Enfer
Montreal, QC

En Enfer to rick jason

to rick jason
said by rick jason :

this is a message for mister sthill or strill or what ever crazy non existant nick name you gave that guy, he is correct

Mister Shill is identified as "@206.47.249.x", which is the same as yours. Talking about yourself on the third person ?
said by rick jason :

your paying for ctv just as much as your paying for tmn go, cos the cost of ctv is included in your cable subscription, you just dont see it

You're terribly wrong !

None of the conventional stations with an over-the-air signal is receiving any subscription revenue. That includes CBC/SRC, CTV, Global, Citytv, CTV2, CHCH, CTS, PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, The CW, MyNetworkTV, and other locals.

Remember the "Local TV Matters" campaign back in 2009 ? That was a campaign to engage viewers into supporting their local stations into asking the CRTC for subscription revenues as a backout due to the poor economy crisis which resulted in low advertisement revenues.

The CRTC said no, but they increased the Local Programming Improvement Fund (LPIF), and all service providers added that TV Tax to your bill, which is why you're still paying a 0.5% extra fee on the whole television bill section.

Shaw brought Canwest Global, then Bell brought back CTV, economy got better and the fees were no longer required.

Know your facts before saying anything crazy. That being said, your basic service bill includes mandatory cable channels such as CBC News/RDI, Weather Network/MétéoMédia, CPAC, your provincial House of Commons channel, APTN and AMI TV, which amounts for around 3$ per month. Your service provider adds Galaxie radio channels, barker channels and a few other optional channels on basic which are not licenced as mandatory basic, such as sports channels. Everything else goes into your service provider's profits, but NO MONEY from your TV bill goes directly to CTV, or Global, or Citytv.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by En Enfer:

but NO MONEY from your TV bill goes directly to CTV, or Global, or Citytv.

What tv bill? I have OTA , no cable tv at all. Eh? Must be municpal taxes or somesuch lol
useless2764
join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

useless2764 to Akaz1

to Akaz1
well, if you get the us networks over ota, your basiclly getting all of ctvs prime time lineup, arent you
65194623 (banned)
join:2014-01-14

65194623 (banned) to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

said by En Enfer:

but NO MONEY from your TV bill goes directly to CTV, or Global, or Citytv.

What tv bill? I have OTA , no cable tv at all. Eh? Must be municpal taxes or somesuch lol

You're missing the point of his comment. What he is getting at is there is no financial incentive for Bell to limit CTV streaming to Bell TV customers since CTV does not gain any revenue from Bell TV customers vs an OTA viewer.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

said by 65194623:

You're missing the point of his comment. What he is getting at is there is no financial incentive for Bell to limit CTV streaming to Bell TV customers since CTV does not gain any revenue from Bell TV customers vs an OTA viewer.

Negative incentive, actually... streaming online, if they inject an ad into the stream that's a guaranteed viewer. That's worth *way* more per impression than OTA viewers for the advertising because they have no way to actually know how many people watch the OTA broadcast.

Take a look at what Shaw has been doing with their properties... I've been watching Lost Girl online for a couple of years since I cancelled my TV subscription. Around the middle of last year, they started putting ads into the stream, but it wasn't every time you watched and it usually only showed up in the current episode. If you waited a week and watched the old episodes, there weren't ads. This year, there are ads in the stream every time I watch it, and there's more ads. I don't object to them, because I can't get Showcase OTA and they can't continue to produce the show if they can't monetize it, but it's a completely different way of handling things than what CTV is doing here. I'm hoping they realize that rather than locking out potential customers it's in their interest to make it available to as many as possible, because they can simply insert ads to pay for the costs and make it much more profitable.