spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mike86
join:2004-09-28
Darien, IL

Mike86

Cannot enable wireless setting

I cannot enable the wireless setting on my D-Link 601 router. It is grayed out & along with all the other wireless settings on that setup page.

I used to be able to turn it on & off. It's usually turned off but I turned it on a few days ago to look at the various settings because I got a new tablet. But then I turned it off.

FWIW the Wireless Setup Wizard is also grayed out. I noticed it was that way a few days ago after I got done looking at the settings using the Manual Wireless Setup, but do not recall what it looked like before I started.

I have no idea what has changed & did not save any settings a few days ago.

Any ideas on what I might have done & how to get back access to the wireless settings?

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

What browser are you using? Was the browser updated?
Was the router FW updated? Some settings have been disabled by FW and you can't disable them. WMM Enable is one of them. What setting are you trying to work with?
Mike86
Darien, IL

Mike86

I tried Firefox 26 and IE 10.

Router FW has never been updated.

I'm at Setup > Wireless Settings > Manual Wireless Network Setup.
All the settings are grayed out which means clicking on Enable does nothing. Again, I was able to turn wireless On & Off a week ago. I have no idea what has changed since I never saved any changes.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Mike86

to Mike86
Disable any 3rd party security programs and browser add-ons...

Have you done a factor reset yet then set up from scratch?
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

1 recommendation

bbear2 to Mike86

Premium Member

to Mike86
I don't have the manual in front of me, but are you sure you are logged in with "admin" rights? Based upon your description it seems like you only have "user" capabilities.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

1 recommendation

BimmerE38FN

Good catch bear...
Mike86
Darien, IL

Mike86 to bbear2

to bbear2
When I type in the URL the D-Link screen comes up & it says Admin. Password is blank because I never entered one.

I click on Log In and then have access to the Internet Connection settings & the Network Settings. So I must be logged in.

I can click on the Manual Wireless Network Setup which brings up a settings screen, but everything is grayed out on the settings screen.

I was trying to avoid a factory reset because the wired configuration works just fine & I didn't want to mess that up in case I did something wrong. But it appears I'll have to do it.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Mike86

to Mike86
Please write down or screen capture any router settings then do a factory reset. Use IE or FF with out any add-ons enabled and disable any 3rd party PC security temporarily while your reconfigure the router after the reset.

You on DSL or Cable?
BimmerE38FN

BimmerE38FN to Mike86

to Mike86
What FW is currently loaded?
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2 to Mike86

Premium Member

to Mike86
Pg 36 of the manual shows "Manual Wireless Network Setup" and there's a check box for "Enable Wireless". Is this checked? And the pull down that restricts the time, is that set to always?
Mike86
Darien, IL

Mike86 to BimmerE38FN

to BimmerE38FN
DSL

FW 1.01
Mike86

Mike86 to bbear2

to bbear2
That's the problem - I cannot check the "Enable Wireless" box. It's there but grayed out & does not respond. Same thing for the pull down menu, & everything else on that settings page.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2 to Mike86

Premium Member

to Mike86
Can you try booting FF in safe mode and see? Also, as was mentioned before, remove or check security settings, specifically on firewall.

As long as you are logged in as 'admin' you should have access rights to change the wireless settings. You said that you had this working before? What changed?
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat to Mike86

Premium Member

to Mike86
Every Dlink I ever had required by default that you enter admin in the password area in order to log on as admin.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Mike86

to Mike86
Something has changed with your PC, browser or security settings on your PC.

You might try a different PC or Mac to see if they can connect and change the settings.

Yes, you need to log in as Admin, not user.

If any of this fails, you may need to update FW. Follow this if you do as it will ensure you get a good clean load:
»forums.dlink.com/index.p ··· =42457.0

Get new code here:
»support.dlink.com/Produc ··· =DIR-601

Default_PW
@comcast.net

Default_PW to tobicat

Anon

to tobicat
said by tobicat:

Every Dlink I ever had required by default that you enter admin in the password area in order to log on as admin.

We obviously have different D-Link equipment. I currently have three D-Link routers, and two D-Link VoIP ATA boxes, but only the Vonage branded VTA-VR boxes have a factory default password (and it isn't "admin"). The screen shots below from the user manuals verify my statement:

DIR655

DIR601

EBR2310

VTA-VR

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

The FW is handled by Vonage and not D-Link OEM FW, so yes there will be differences in default log ins depending on what Vonage policy is in there FW. D-Link products are Admin and the PW is blank out of the box for there OEM FW.
Mike86
Darien, IL

Mike86

Got it working.

Tried another PC, but settings still grayed out.

Saved configuration & did a reset. Success - everything looked OK.
Loaded original config. This set things back to grayed out condition.

Did another reset & success again.
Did not re-load original config as it must contain whatever is causing the problem.

The only thing that I had to change was the Router IP Address.

I've got a question though. Under the Tools menu I can change the Admn Password & the User Password. What is the User Password? I never noticed that before.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by Mike86:

I've got a question though. Under the Tools menu I can change the Admn Password & the User Password. What is the User Password? I never noticed that before.

User is the default user and password that grants, read only access to the router. If you do not want some one to know the password for read only access, you must change the password for User.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Mike86

to Mike86
Glad the factory reset got it working. Cheers.