share rss forum feed

En Enfer
This account has been compromised

join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC
kudos:4
reply to Akaz

Re: CTV Go locked for cord cutters

The #1 rule : Shows are available to all for 7 days. After that, you need a login user/pass from a "participating" service provider.

Live TV always requires user/pass... but it's stupid since you can get CTV, Global, Citytv and other conventional stations for free over-the-air (think also Mobile DTV), without a subscription from a provider...

For CTV Go, it's for Bell sat/fibe customers only.
For Global Go, it's was for Shaw sat/cable customers only, but it's now open to Rogers and Cogeco customers.

Across the border, Fox and now ABC decided that you need to be a paying customer of Hulu Plus if you want to watch the latest episode. After 7 days, it's unlocked.

I have a hand-me-down iPhone 3GS running iOS6 (this device cannot upgrade to iOS7). There was a forced upgrade for the Global Go app. After selecting a show, localisation service have to be turned on or else the video won't play (CTV Go will popup a reminder annoyingly if you turned it off, but will play the video anyway). Well, after the first commercial break, the Global Go app will crash. That app is now completely useless for the 3GS.

On a semi-related topic, streaming CTV videos from CTV.ca using a computer running a Linux flavor OS no longer works due to Adobe Flash Player no longer supported, added with DRM crapola. Forced to boot in Windows or run a Windows VM (Virtual Machine). Argh!
--
Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."

MOES TAVERN

@206.47.249.x

LIKE I KEEP SAYING, BUT MODS KEEP DELETING, DONT DELETE THIS PLEASE.

ITS FOR BELL CUSTOMERS NOW, BUT OTHER CUSTOMERS WILL BE SLOWLY ADDED TO CTV GO. I GUARENTEE IT

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Yea thanks for the explanation, Mr. Shill.
--

Akaz

join:2010-09-12
reply to En Enfer

said by En Enfer:

The #1 rule : Shows are available to all for 7 days. After that, you need a login user/pass from a "participating" service provider.

That is probably it. It use to be u could watch last 2 episodes and the locked or removed older ones but now they (and maybe even global) have switched to this 7 day rule. Would ripping the episode from their website in the first week for later viewing considered illegal or is that considered equal to recording OTA/cable for later viewing?

toobad

@noisetor.net

I kind of liked CTV, but only their main news and investigative reports like W5. I never really watched anything else, beyond maybe cartoons when I was a kid.

Really it is a shame that they are gone... indeed I noticed ctvnews.ca and ctv.ca stopped working for me a few months ago. After broadcast TV went digital I did not even bother buying the digital converter/receiver, ctv.ca was my only way. Well nostalgia will not help, I hope for the best for all the amazing journalists and broadcaster that were working there.

Oh ya I remember also liking a science show on weekends when I was a teen, forgot the title of it thought. I think I saw a rerun of it at my gym a few weeks ago.