uniqs

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

[Help] 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS... Power/Brake Issue

Hello, I'm no mechanic by any stride but would like to know how to attack this...

I have had a brake leak for a little while, but i keep topping off the liquid and only driving less than 2km away from my home for 1 day a week... I have to goto a medical appt that's off the beaten path.

Anyway, today a new ting developed where my battery meter goes down to almost a 1/4 and the battey light flashes like the bulb is loose ONLY when I use the brakes.

Any ideas?

What would worst case cost be?

Zacron

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

When you use the brakes the brake lights come on. That is a higher draw on the battery. They do draw considerable power.

Does the battery light come on when you turn on the headlights?

zacron
Premium Member
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

no, it just stays low, it never used to do this. used to have about 75% available usage.

Z

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to zacron

to zacron
You likely need a new battery. The alternator can no longer keep it charged while running which is why you have more issues when you hit the brakes.

The missing brake fluid is not related but you do need to have it checked. It doesn't disappear; it is leaking somewhere and it needs to be found before you have no brakes. Most brake failure happens instantly. You stop fine one time and then nothing the next.

zacron
Premium Member
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

Should I attempt to charge it?

namehereeh
@optonline.net

namehereeh to zacron

Anon

to zacron
First I've never seen a car battery that would start the car in the cold (guessing cold as OP's location is "Canada") but was too weak to power brake lights so the battery light comes on.

Sounds way more like an alternator issue. It needs to be diagnosed, not just say bad battery.

Could be (in no order)

Bad battery
Dirty connection to the battery
Bad Alternator
Lose belt
Bad belt
and more.

The battery "meter" does not show "available usage" it shows charging rate. With this comment I think you would be best to go to a shop and have them look at the car.

The brakes, REALLY need to be fixed, any leak of any sort is no good, first off the fluid is going to destroy whatever it gets on... next, and more important as said, one day you will be out driving, no issues, then next time you go to stop, not a thing is going to happen except a crash.