gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

2 edits

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

Guys another update for X2 this morning.

Date Jan.15,2014

Only thing new I can see is when pressing the red button when viewing the big guide now brings up an option to view things like movies,sports,favorites,trending and it actually is working now. In the last update all you got was the same poster over and over when clicking on one of the options.

Davy49
join:2007-04-10
Brandon, MS

Davy49

Hi gate1975mim,
How can I tell if I have received the X2 software 'update' or not...I rely on information here in the forum's.
Thanks,
David

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Davy49:

How can I tell if I have received the X2 software 'update' or not...I rely on information here in the forum's.

X1 users, such as gate1975mlm See Profile or SeattleMatt See Profile will have to verify this, but I believe the software/firmware info is displayed under the "About" tab.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
Gate-
Thanks for the heads up. Just got back from 2 days at the beach.

My 2 HD boxes updated to the new XRE Server build - as you mentioned, dated 1/15/14.

However, my DVR will not update - even with a reboot. I'm sure it'll pull it eventually this week. As you also mentioned - yes - when in the Guide - and you hit "C" - it does now take you to correct poster art.

**Edit** - noticed the Comcast SVP tweet that all "should be working on Wednesday" - so, they may be slowly rolling out the update.

I also liked the "trending" options.

I also saw that on the Notices tab of the Diagnostics - it now shows Instagram and Flickr. Since my DVR hasn't updated - i can't tell on the Apps tab yet if they've been added.

Davy - if you hit Menu on the remote - scroll over to the "cog" icon - or whatever you want to call it. If you click down to About - you'll see the STB information.

There are two areas that get updated - the XRE Server (which is what is in the cloud) and the STB Timestamp and Version - this is what actually gets downloaded to your box.

On my 2 HD boxes - I'm showing XRE of 1/15/14, and a STB Version of 12/10/13.
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Lo and behold - apparently sometime overnight my HD boxes have reverted back to the 12/18 XRE build - wondering if there were some issues with the update?
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Based on Gate's tip - rebooted the DVR tonight - finally pulled the new build.
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

As of this morning - my DVR and 1 HD box are on the 1/15 build. Other HD box won't pull it.

Anyway-
As Gate mentioned - when you bring up the guide - and hit Guide again- you now have the Trending, Kids, Sports, options. And - it now works and takes you to a poster art screen of shows. However, you don't have an option anymore to choose "HD Channels" - just Favorites, and then the other ones.

I also like the enhanced Search box. If you're watching TV - and enter a channel # - the search box is now different in the upper right - and will show a channel logo once you enter the #. It's very smooth looking.

I also thought the HD box seemed snappier as well.
It's all I noticed so far - time to go dig out our foot of snow!
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm

Skip Ahead a Day in Guide

Wow - I can't confirm it right now since I lost the update again - but on the Comcast forums someone reported that with the 1/15/14 XRE build - you can now skip ahead a day in the guide by using the FF button.

This has been a bitch session since X1 rolled out!

I'll look to confirm whenever I receive it again.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Cool this has been requested by a lot of people

BigBearsFan
join:2009-08-01
Galesburg, IL

BigBearsFan

I had the update overnight and yes they had added this feature(while in guide using ff/rw arrows moved day forward up to 14 days and back) .Also on the guide after double clicking had setup hd,trending which showed what shows were being most watched,kids sports and favorites.I set up my sports favorite teams which surprisingly didn't go away when upgrade did. The app for headlines went away.Did notice first time I went to view saved programs it took a little time and 3 dots came up and kept going through them till the picture art came up for recently saved. Keep us in the loop if and when it comes back.

wolf
@74.121.100.x

wolf

Anon

Maybe the Sports Favorites were retained because you could already save them previously without this latest X2 update. I have my Sports Favorite teams set & never received that new update.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Well, woke up - my office HD box is now on XRE Build 37P5 - dated 1/22/14.

However, the DVR is still on 12/18/13 - and will not update. Haven't checked the bedroom HD box yet - but this week is turning into an upgrade circus...

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

I got the update dated 1/22/14 on one of my DVR boxes this morning.

And you are correct you can now skip ahead 1 full day at a time in the guide. However you still can not select HD channels only when viewing the big guide. I wonder if they will be adding that back?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

I'm sure they will - I know that's also a big ask from people. I just wish I could get my DVR to pull it.
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Last night was a success - and still this morning all 3 boxes (including DVR) are on the 1/22/14 build.

I'm wondering if there will be 1 final STB update as well before the real "X2" is live?

ahrealmonstr
@comcast.net

ahrealmonstr

Anon

Am I the only one that hates the "X2" guide? It's too dark and cheap looking and feels more like I'm watching TV on my Xbox.

I'm not in love wit the X1 guide but I think it's better than the X2, especially if they add some things and fix some things.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Not sure if your alone or not but as for me I like the new X2 interface way better then X1. I do agree it could use a little more color perhaps and a little less black. But as far as "usability" X2 feels light years ahead of X1 in my opinion. However I do not think X2 is perfect as it is now. There are still some missing features even from X1 that comcast needs to add.
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
At least one of my DVR's this morning went back to build dated 12-18-13 from the newer date build 1-22-14. So then I restart the DVR and guess what its now back to build dated 1-22-14 again lol

Something very strange has been going on this week.