uniqs

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

1 edit

Hazy Arc

Error 425 with Filezilla FTP Server

Hi All:

I'm using Filezilla server (and Filezilla client on receiving end) to transfer files between two locations. The client is able to connect to the server and retrieve files, but after two completed file transfers (it appears Filezilla client automatically begins 2 concurrent file transfers if you queue several), I receive FTP error 425 (Can't Open Data Connection) on both ends and the remaining queued files fail. I can instantly restart the connection and transfer manually and the transfer begins again, but again, the queued transfers will fail after the initial 2 are done. Here is a snippit of what the client shows as it fails:

Command: RETR File3
Response: 425 Can't open data connection.
Error: File transfer failed
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,250,208,190)
Status: Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.

Any ideas? I'm using Tomato in front of the server with ports 20 and 21 forwarded to the server's internal IP address - FWIW. Thanks!
Hazy Arc

Hazy Arc

As a troubleshooting maneuver, I disabled Windows Firewall on both sides, but the problem remained.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano to Hazy Arc

MVM

to Hazy Arc
It sure looks like the front end router's FTP_ALG can only handle 2 simultaneous connections.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
you also need to open a port range for the passive ports, since the client is trying to use passive connect, you then need to to go into the server options and add those ports into the passive range you extended

other wise has to be configured to use active and not passive
LittleBill

LittleBill

must also tell the server to use the public ip when responding back, not the internal, thats why you are seeing unroutable

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc to LittleBill

to LittleBill
said by LittleBill:

you also need to open a port range for the passive ports, since the client is trying to use passive connect, you then need to to go into the server options and add those ports into the passive range you extended

other wise has to be configured to use active and not passive

That was the problem - I had to open a series of ports for Passive mode and set them statically in the server interface in addition to specifying my external IP address. I wonder why the first two files would transfer though?

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

said by Hazy Arc:

Because you were able to have only two sessions at once.