Search similar:

uniqs
xcentrik
join:2006-01-13
Bassano, AB

xcentrik

[AB] Optik TV online gaming

Hi everyone!

So I own an optik tv 50/10 package (I have optik tv unplugged) and an actiontec v2000h gateway.

My problem is while online gaming (specifically while playing NHL 14) EA servers will place you on one of three servers: NA west, NA east, or Europe. I am being connected to the europe servers which is causing a lot of delay and leading to an unplayable experience. I live in Edmonton, AB, use a wired connection, and have my Xbox 360 in a DHCP reservation address which is then DMZ'd.

Are there any options within the gateway under the advanced tab that can "optimize online gaming" ? If I change the DNS settings will I have better luck routing to the correct server? Could the DSL bonding be causing the issue?

TELUS claims nothing is wrong on my end, and its EA's fault. EA claims it's the ISP's fault.

I really appreciate any input or help you smart network guru's here can provide!

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

Well the further away the server you play on is, the higher the latency is going to get. I'm in Edmonton also on Optik, but play games on PC not console, and find the Chicago servers I play on for the list of games I play are great. I usually avoid the ones in California or overseas as I find them to offer a much inferior gaming experience.

Nat
@telus.net

Nat to xcentrik

Anon

to xcentrik
I live in Vancouver and have the same set-up except I have the actiontec v1000h and online gaming is pretty much a bust. My latency spikes are through the roof. Telus tells me they do not support Xbox online gaming and that's it. I play Battlefield 4 and Halo 4 and Reach. I have also had the problem of the firewall not opening on the router making my Nat closed taking up to 20 minutes to get an open Nat and again Telus says that is not there problem and that is it. Good luck to you, but I am sure you will never get any help regarding your problem. The first step would be for Telus to admit that it maybe something on their end or at least something they could tweak to make online gaming better, but seen as Telus always blames someone else that will never happen.

Cheers
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Nat :

I live in Vancouver and have the same set-up except I have the actiontec v1000h and online gaming is pretty much a bust. My latency spikes are through the roof. Telus tells me they do not support Xbox online gaming and that's it. I play Battlefield 4 and Halo 4 and Reach. I have also had the problem of the firewall not opening on the router making my Nat closed taking up to 20 minutes to get an open Nat and again Telus says that is not there problem and that is it. Good luck to you, but I am sure you will never get any help regarding your problem. The first step would be for Telus to admit that it maybe something on their end or at least something they could tweak to make online gaming better, but seen as Telus always blames someone else that will never happen.

Cheers

You would be surprised to know how much the EA server are mostly responsible for your issue. Its it not the actiontech that is the root cause. I know it has it fault and its not perfect but has nothing to do with crappy netcode and overcrowded server.

nat
@telus.net

nat

Anon

I agree with you the EA servers are crap, but we also have the same problem with Halo, 98% of the time it is brutal. I except that there are many factors that can cause bad gaming experience, but not 98% of the time. All I am saying is, as long as Telus has the opinion that it is never on their end or nothing they can do to make it better then there is basically no help.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by nat :

I agree with you the EA servers are crap, but we also have the same problem with Halo, 98% of the time it is brutal. I except that there are many factors that can cause bad gaming experience, but not 98% of the time. All I am saying is, as long as Telus has the opinion that it is never on their end or nothing they can do to make it better then there is basically no help.

The problem is not taking responsibility but issue that are outside of our network that we have no control over. I don't know which region you are in but we do have a few region that are satured at prime time. So unless you provide me with more info in pm, I won't be able to tell you if the problem is on your side or not.

Darhole
Premium Member
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole to xcentrik

Premium Member

to xcentrik
A game server deciding to put you on Europe has little to do with your ISP. It sees your location in North America, and then says oh well, Europe has no load right now, toss him there. Its a tad more complicated than this. I believe there is some ping calculations (they probably accept way too high of a ping as being 'okay')
This has everything to do with EA being a bunch of sellout micro transaction money grabbing assholes these days.
I know it is cliche, but console online gaming sucks. You don't have control like you do on a PC with who you connect to or where you connect to. You are entirely at the mercy of the companies shitty decisions.

I feel bad for you, because NHL is a ton of fun online when it does work (and you don't get the glitch goalers ) You can try reconnecting until you get what you want. Also, playing on non-peak hours is usually a good bet for getting the right server. If you are logging on after supper, so is everybody else, and Europe will be low pop as half of them are asleep.

Sorry there is no solution for this, but there really isn't.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

I know I'm taking a shot in the dark. Can't you block European server IP's or does NHL do some P2P crap now? Kind of like how blocking some IP ranges helps with streaming stuff on Shaw/TimeWarner/Comcast
xcentrik
join:2006-01-13
Bassano, AB

xcentrik

As far as I know, vs mode, gm connected, and hut modes all use p2p. Eashl uses 3 servers (west, east, europe) I believe the west server is in Vancouver, east in Montreal, and im not sure about the europe one.

Can i spoof the server into thinking I live in BC to get connected to the west server?