how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hugrtyu

join:2014-01-06
singapore

Anyone used BaoFeng GT-3?

happened to see a review about Baofeng GT-3.
»arduinotronics.blogspot.sg/2014/ ··· iew.html
Is there any one has any experience with BaoFeng GT-3, how is that work?
baofeng claims that it is the 2014 latest Baofeng two way radio with human-oriented features.

aSic
application specific
Premium
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
I'll bite.

The specs are identical to the UV-5(x) series. I say (x) as the same radio was released with like five different designations, and two different colored cases. UV-5, UV-5R, UV-5RA, UV-5RX, blah blah. Functionally, it was the same radio regardless of what you thought you were buying. They also added year designators to the radios to try and differentiate.. "New 2013 model!". Turned out a "2012" was identical to the 2013 internally...components and all.

I see only cosmetic differences between this and the UV5 series. Such has the reverse LCD, and faceplate buttons moved around.

The published specifications are identical to the UV-5R that I already own. I've got a feeling this is just another repackaged deal to extract some more money out of an existing setup...given the low price point.
--
Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
I do think they occasionally fix glitches in new ones though.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Possibly, but a firmware update could take care of that just as easily. I won't be buying one, as my UV5R works just fine, and I don't need another identical radio...
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
Do they have user firmware updates? I thought firmware updates only where on production line. So newer models get updates older stay the same.

aSic
application specific
Premium
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Not that I've ever seen. Firmware is set in stone at the factory.

The amusing thing is, I've only managed to find two glitches in my UV5. One is critical, the other is simply annoying. Both have to do with "dual watch". The 2012 UV-5R that I had previously and the "New for 2013 UV-5RA" I've got now both suffer from it. I'd doubt there are any bugfixes at the factory level between the variations, hence my suggestion of squeezing the most money possible out of the turnip.

Given the company's reputation, IMO, I'd wait until there is some completely new hardware before I'd pop for a new one.
--

hugrtyu

join:2014-01-06
singapore

1 recommendation

reply to hugrtyu
I collect some data and made some comparison between them
Radio Frequency IC
GT-3:Radio Frequency IC
UV-5R:RDA1846
Upgrade SQ to enhance the anti-interference ability.
RDA1846S add an new tail tone elimination function, when transmit and receive signal between 50Hz with 55Hz
Improve the receiver AGV switching noise when signal strength changes severe

Frequency-Modulated Receiver Chip
GT-3:RDA5802N
UV-5R:RDA2802E
The RDA5802N has a powerful low-IF digital audio processor, this make it have optimum sound quality with varying reception conditions

Power Amplifier IC
GT-3:UTC TDA2822L
UV-5R:UTC TDA2822F

LED Flashlight
GT-3:Pro-LED (straw-hat LED)
UV-5R:common LED flashlight

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to aSic
There have been fixes made by Baofeng (examples are the VHF squelch fix and the correction of the DTMF tones) but everything I have read on the subject agrees that the firmware is write-once and cannot be changed once installed in the factory.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

aSic
application specific
Premium
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hugrtyu
Looking at the datasheets from RDA, there isnt much in the way of differences between the two chips.

Now whats more amusing, is this data seems to be copied and pasted across several message boards...including the errant "RDA2802E." There is no such product listed on RDA's website. Seems as though this is creative marketing...getting people to post up details about a product to "get the word out" to relevant sites. The copy+paste bit made me chuckle.
--

SaltyPeaks

@quadranet.com
reply to aSic
said by aSic:

Not that I've ever seen. Firmware is set in stone at the factory.

Check these out, pretty neat (and I own a UV-5RA+, great HT)

»hackaday.com/2013/02/28/hacking- ··· m-radio/
»www.elazary.com/index.php?option ··· temid=17

Of course, it's well above my skillset. Nice to see the disassembly pictures.

p51d007
Naa-P51d Mustang

join:2002-06-07
Springfield, MO
reply to hugrtyu
I've had the UV5 for over a year. Great little radio. Ordered the GT-3, just to have
a "backup" HT.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to hugrtyu
Anyone want to donate one of these Baofeng to me so I can test it in harsh northern Canada winter climate?

The Wouxun KG-UV6D I have already failed the test. Manufacturer claims operating temperature down to -30C however I was outside on a -25C day with the HT in my jacket pocket (so the HT's temperature should have been several degrees warmer than ambient) and something really strange started happening, it started to receive signals out-of-channel. I could still receive the amateur 2m repeater I had it tuned to, however other signals like the police and ambulance repeaters were also coming through clear as day, even though I definitely was not tuned to those frequencies. Also, the squelch even at maximum was not enough to stop noise from cracking the squelch. Really weird.

And of course, the LCD display is downright useless at that temperature too.

I wonder if the cheaper Baofengs would fare better.... or worst? Hmmm...

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
FWIW, I had a UV-5R outside for most of a day in -10C last month [It was sitting out on a picnic table unless I was talking; doing comm's for a Boy Scout event]. It did very well, including the battery [had an extra in my shirt pocket under several layers, just to be safe]. I can't test it in -25C here because it hasn't been that cold here since 1981. We were warned not to hang our HTs in trees, if it makes you feel any better.

I remember the two times it was -25C here in the last 50 or so years because I was outside for several hours each time. The cold seriously stressed out the lead-acid batteries I was using for comm's. I had to wear two or three layers and slather any and all exposed skin [not much] with lip balm. I think the PLL on my radio drifted a bit off in the cold, as well.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by DrStrange:

I can't test it in -25C here because it hasn't been that cold here since 1981.

It was -42C on the morning of March 1st here (yup, just 3 days ago).

I haven't obtained a mobile for my car yet but whatever I end up buying, it better be able to handle the cold!