share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to PX Eliezer

Re: [NFL] Super Bowl XLVIII Discussion

said by PX Eliezer:

I know that this is [not] the case, but the game was so lopsided that it almost looked fixed.

a) a great defensive team usually beats a great offensive team
b) the Broncos don't match up too well against the Seahawks
c) the Seahawks were better prepared
d) during the season the Broncos relied more on their QB than the Seahawks
e) but Payton (and the Broncos) were rattled early and often, and they just could not recover
--
.sig

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
reply to Moorecards

I bet this game goes on the top 10 worst SB's. It wasn't really a game.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Moorecards

Sup?

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium
join:2006-03-01
USA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rook008

said by Rook008:

The half-time show sucked. I still don't know who Bruno Mars is, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers did one song.

Rook, my kids and I were flipping out..."where's the Chili Peppers?!?! That's it?!?!"

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5
reply to Moorecards

Worst Super Bowl in a looong time. Commercials, half-time and even the game all sucked.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Edge1

Yeah, it was pretty bad.
Next year they're going to continue the trend with Justine Beeber headlining and The Rolling Stones coming in for one song.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

Justin Beiber played the half time show at the Grey Cup game in 2012, along with Gordon Lightfoot. The reception by the crowd wasn't good (and those of us who can't stand him enjoyed every moment of the boos).

Justin Bieber booed by crowds during splashy Grey Cup halftime show
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Moorecards

Grats Hawks!

I wasn't a fan of either team (no special like or dislike for either) but I love defenses. I was rooting for Seattle because I live in the area now and because of the defense. Awesome job.

As for commercials, the mixed dog commercial was my fave.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

The Shadow
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Moorecards

Seattle has one of the best all around solid defenses I've ever seen. In terms of pass coverage they are the best I've seen. Their defense was head and shoulders better than any other team in the league this past season. Matched to that was a good effective offense that optimizes the talent on the team. In just four years Carroll completely rebuilt them from the ground up to being tied as the youngest team to win a Super Bowl.

On any given Sunday...Yesterday Denver was literally in over their head. They justifiably had high expectations going into the game and but have been especially devastated by the loss given how they were never even close to being in it and how they were physically manhandled. At least when the hurt fades they have every reason to be optimistic about next year.

Manning set another record, the most playoff losses by any QB in NFL history. He has many strengths and is one of the best QBs to play the game. However, yesterday he showed two of his biggest weaknesses. One, his level of play drops off in the playoffs in general or in many cases and especially against the best teams. He must have excellent pass protection and he cannot improvise that well. Wilson encounters a pressure pass rush and he just dodges it and moves around until he finds a receiver or he decides to run. Manning is statue that either has to immediately get rid of the ball whether or not he is ready to do so or take the sack.

He should retire to protect his health and wait to go deservedly into the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility.

join:2013-12-20

said by The Shadow:

Seattle has one of the best all around solid defenses I've ever seen. In terms of pass coverage they are the best I've seen.

Never seen the 2002 Buc's? Still the best ever by the numbers.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

He said "one of the best", not "the best"
--
.sig

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to Critsmcgee

said by Critsmcgee:

I think it all depends on who you ask.

Around here, this is going to be the best SB ever.

I have a feeling that with respect to expectations, many people's judgement were clouded by their feelings toward Peyton, and toward certain Seahawks players.

As far as I concern, it was clear well before the SB that is a very unfavorable matchup for the Broncos.
--
.sig

reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

He said "one of the best", not "the best"

The second part said "the best".

reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

said by Critsmcgee:

I think it all depends on who you ask.

Around here, this is going to be the best SB ever.

Only for Seattle fans. In terms of a game worth watching it sucked. Not to mention the ads or halftime which weren't any better. Maybe 2015 will be better!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

3 edits

Maybe the other teams can resist Seattle better next year...

Although I think the 49ers did put up a fight even this year.

Edit: one more thing -- in a game like this, the officials can't be blamed for the outcome.
If there's a disputed TD at the very end in a close game where it can effect the outcome -- many people will argue that it should've been an INT, or it's should've been called an offensive foul, etc.
--
.sig

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Critsmcgee

said by Critsmcgee:

Nope at least not in viewership

quote:
For the fourth time in five years, the Super Bowl has set a record for the most-watched television event in U.S. history, drawing 111.5 million viewers even though the Seattle Seahawks' 43-8 victory over the Denver Broncos wasn't really competitive.
»news.yahoo.com/ratings-another-r···=appleww
--

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Voxxjin:

said by Critsmcgee:

quote:
For the fourth time in five years, the Super Bowl has set a record for the most-watched television event in U.S. history, drawing 111.5 million viewers even though the Seattle Seahawks' 43-8 victory over the Denver Broncos wasn't really competitive.
»news.yahoo.com/ratings-another-r···=appleww

Need viewership by quarter though. We all knew it would break a record in the first quarter but by the 3rd and 4th quarter people were watching "The Big Bang Theory".
--

The Shadow
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Voxxjin

said by Voxxjin:

said by Critsmcgee:

I suspect a high percentage of people that are football fans and thought yesterday's game was one of the worst of all times are mostly Denver fans, or Manning fanbois, or they picked Denver.

Regarding the Seattle defense: They are the first team since the 85 Bears to lead the league defensively in points allowed, yards allowed, and takeaways.

They also went up against a team that statistically was the best or most productive offense in the history of the league that was dominated by the pass. The Seahawks made them look inept. Manning had thrown 55 TDs in one season! Seattle had only given up 16 TD passes in the season. At the end of the game the matchup speaks for itself.

Sherman was acknowledged and strongly endorsed by Aikman during the broadcast as the best shutdown corner in the league and he's a guy that knows a bit about the subject being a HoF QB and having played with and against Deion Sanders.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
reply to Moorecards

»t.co/1tJLj8r7Bc

Congrats to the only Canadian playing too.........he made a couple of nice catches.
--
GO SEAHAWKS~

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to The Shadow

said by The Shadow:

said by Voxxjin:

said by Critsmcgee:

I suspect a high percentage of people that are football fans and thought yesterday's game was one of the worst of all times are mostly Denver fans, or Manning fanbois, or they picked Denver.

Regarding the Seattle defense: They are the first team since the 85 Bears to lead the league defensively in points allowed, yards allowed, and takeaways.

They also went up against a team that statistically was the best or most productive offense in the history of the league that was dominated by the pass. The Seahawks made them look inept. Manning had thrown 55 TDs in one season! Seattle had only given up 16 TD passes in the season. At the end of the game the matchup speaks for itself.

Sherman was acknowledged and strongly endorsed by Aikman during the broadcast as the best shutdown corner in the league and he's a guy that knows a bit about the subject being a HoF QB and having played with and against Deion Sanders.

The top 10 worst SB's are ones which were blow outs so if you're smart and see the writing on the wall you can make your own conclusion on yesterday's game. Even Montana has one in the top 10 worst. It's no dig on the winner.
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by Critsmcgee:

The top 10 worst SB's are ones which were blow outs so if you're smart and see the writing on the wall you can make your own conclusion on yesterday's game. Even Montana has one in the top 10 worst. It's no dig on the winner.

Well I guess Denver has been in a few of the worst SBs going by that definition of worst SBs
--

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

said by Voxxjin:

said by Critsmcgee:

Well I guess Denver has been in a few of the worst SBs going by that definition of worst SBs

Yup! Elway was in one. It's not a definition just google it. It's not my opinion or definition or anything based on me or what I think. I'm merely the messenger. Shot someone else!

Edit: Yesterday's SB is already ranked on the top 10 worst at #3 all-time. LOL
»sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ph···bowls/3/

"If one team epitomized the era of bad Super Bowl games, the Broncos were it."
»sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ph···bowls/1/
--

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

»t.co/1tJLj8r7Bc

Congrats to the only Canadian playing too.........he made a couple of nice catches.

Ummm...no.

Didya notice Rob Ford was wearing a #74 Broncos jersey last week? That was for Toronto native Offensive Tackle Orlando Franklin.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Franklin

And the Seahawks punter Jon Ryan is from Regina.

But yeah, Willson did have a decent game.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to Moorecards

Yes, the game was very disappointing to watch.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Trenton, NJ
reply to Moorecards

I know Peyton will get pinned for the loss, but my oh MY Denver didn't show up on all 3 phases. That o-line was destroyed all night long - pretty sure I was watching Happy feet 3 on Sunday rather than the SB starring Peyton Manning.

Seattle was absolutely amazing all year long, even prior to the SB they still didn't have a massive amount of respect(including from me) - but this Seattle team was easily the best in the league, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Brees, and Manning did NOTHING against them(Brees had 2 chances). 2 of the top 5 QBs in todays game did literally nothing. Seattles defense is easily one of the greatest to have ever played the game. Pass rushers, and one of the best defensive backfields in NFL history, easy. Impressive.

On to next year! As an Eagles fan I can say I'm excited!
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

1 edit

said by Eagles LoveR:

Seattles defense is easily one of the greatest to have ever played the game. Pass rushers, and one of the best defensive backfields in NFL history, easy. Impressive.

They are working on it but not in the top 5 yet. Your 1991 Eagles D was better though you weren't alive to see it.
»img.bleacherreport.net/img/artic···433&q=85

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Trenton, NJ

said by 25696122:

said by Eagles LoveR:

Seattles defense is easily one of the greatest to have ever played the game. Pass rushers, and one of the best defensive backfields in NFL history, easy. Impressive.

They are working on it but not in the top 5 yet. Your 1991 Eagles D was better though you weren't alive to see it.

Didn't say they were top 5, sorry for the misunderstanding. The Seahawks Defense is *one of the best* defenses to have ever played. Not ranking them in any position what so ever.

I was alive, just wasn't very old. I was 3 in 91
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Eagles LoveR:

said by 25696122:

said by Eagles LoveR:

Didn't say they were top 5, sorry for the misunderstanding. The Seahawks Defense is *one of the best* defenses to have ever played. Not ranking them in any position what so ever.

So you aren't 21 as you claim?
--

The Shadow
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Eagles LoveR

said by Eagles LoveR:

said by 25696122:

said by Eagles LoveR:

Certainly one of the best and IMO the best defensive performance by any team in a Super Bowl considering that they did it against statistically the all time greatest offense and effectively shutting them down while making them look inept for four quarters.

I caught a short interview with Carroll yesterday and he was saying, not bragging, that they didn't prepare especially or differently for Manning or Denver in anyway, just played their standard defense and offense. He said he thought it best they just do what they were best familiar with...their usual routine and plays.

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by The Shadow:

Certainly one of the best and IMO the best defensive performance by any team in a Super Bowl considering that they did it against statistically all time greatest offense and shut them down and made them look inept for four quarters.

It was the best defense in a super bowl ever. Just not the best defense in a season or remotely close to the best ever.

said by The Shadow:

I caught a short interview with Carroll yesterday and he was saying, not bragging, that they didn't prepare especially or differently for Manning or Denver in anyway, just played their standard defense and offense. He said he thought it best they just do what they were best familiar with...their usual routine and plays.

BS, Carroll lies!! The players said they studied 2 weeks and figure out Denver's calls.

»www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000···ndencies
»profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20···ng-code/
--