All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CJ777
join:2004-10-05
Los Angeles, CA

CJ777

[TV] What is up with these STB's in LA???

Well, here we go again. 2 months ago I realized the Jade Channel 626 was just giving a black screen. I called many times and everyone would give a different answer. I then did some investigating and found 11 channels that were black. So, they came out and replaced my piece of sh*t Samsung box. Replaced with a Motorola DCX 3400. Ok, so problem solved, so I thought. Now about 1½ months later, again the Jade Channel is just black. Been this way for 2 weeks. I've called numerous times and one rep here in the states put in a trouble ticket. Now this time Jade is the only channel having issues. I investigated again and did not find any other problem channels. Even the rep said it must be the channel having issues because it was the only one blacked out. The next day I receive an automated call from TWC saying no issue was found on their side. So I call back a few days later and get a rep in Philippines who says they are having trouble and still investigating. Huh??? I just call now and the rep here in the states says there is nothing in the notes showing an issue on their end, so she schedules a truck roll AGAIN. I mean seriously WTF??? Is this a common issue TWC seems to have with their channels blacking out a lot and constant swapping of boxes? Damn, I wish U-Verse was available here. This is getting really old.

Vertigo
@myvzw.com

Vertigo

Anon

Another possibility is that Time Warner put that channel on SDV and due to poor signal, its not receiving two way communication. I don't think its a box issue at this point. A relative of mine noticed channels missing and turns it sdv was the culprit. A new line from the pole fixed the issue.
CJ777
Los Angeles, CA

CJ777

said by Vertigo :

Another possibility is that Time Warner put that channel on SDV and due to poor signal, its not receiving two way communication. I don't think its a box issue at this point. A relative of mine noticed channels missing and turns it sdv was the culprit. A new line from the pole fixed the issue.

The TWC tech came today. It was another box issue. There was updated firmware my Motorola DCX 3400M never received. It was still stuck on Bedford 12.36 He said he has had a lot of customers missing channels because of this. He replaced with a DCX 3510 and we watched the newer firmware get pushed to the box after he plugged it in to the cable network. The latest version is 14. something and this resolved the issue.
CJ777

CJ777

The Smithsonian channel was blacked out as well and now is coming in, which is cool because I've never had the channel before since it used to be on the HD tier and was recently moved.

SoCal
@verizon.net

SoCal to CJ777

Anon

to CJ777
do other SDV channels work? i understand you may or may not know which channels are on SDV. Does your Video On Demand work? If not it's a problem with return path signal from your box to TWC's headend. SDV and VOD are similar technologies and if one doesn't work a lot of times other doesn't either...due to signal issue.
CJ777
Los Angeles, CA

CJ777

said by SoCal :

do other SDV channels work? i understand you may or may not know which channels are on SDV. Does your Video On Demand work? If not it's a problem with return path signal from your box to TWC's headend. SDV and VOD are similar technologies and if one doesn't work a lot of times other doesn't either...due to signal issue.

Yes, everything is working. My last box was only missing Channels 420 and 626 (Smithsonian and Jade). According to the tech, problem was the botched firmware update. He says it's been a common problem and has been changing out STB'S like crazy.
JSull
join:2013-01-15

JSull

Here in N. Texas/DFW area, since Nov.30th, I can not get channel 937/game 8 of the PPV NHL Center Ice. All other channels work fine...no issues. The screen has This channel will be available shortly. Ref. Code S0012.

S0012 is an error code for a headend issue.
TWC has sent 2 techs out to check the signal, and all is fine on my end...they all agree the problem is on their side, but it appears that they can't fix it. So, any games on this channel, I miss. They have given me a one month credit to my bill, fine....still want this fixed.

I must be the only person in my area that subscribes to this hockey PPV. When baseball season returns, they likely will get a greater volume of complaints, since they share the same channel group with hockey.
CJ777
Los Angeles, CA

CJ777

Hence why I was po'd in my original post. I've now gone through 3 cable boxes in only 5 mos. The most irritating thing is calling customer service and being told different things every time. I've never done that to my customers when I was working in Verizon Wireless customer service years ago. I was extremely knowledged and went out of my way to make sure I gave my callers accurate as possible information.
CJ777

CJ777

And it's either because of Navigator or SDV, I do not get error messages when a channel is screwed up. It's just a black screen.
JSull
join:2013-01-15

JSull

Have you voiced your concern to the Time Warner Cable Direct forum?
I have found them to be a better source for action.
In my case, noted above, it was finally fixed...got 3 different phone calls from different TWC folks to verify that my channel was fixed. The sad part is it took from Nov 30 until Jan 24 to get it fixed. I have the silver dch6416 box and it serves me just fine. The difficulty is getting an issue escalated above the local CSR that you deal with on the phone.....which you do when contacting the TWC Direct forum.

Give it a try.
CJ777
Los Angeles, CA

CJ777

said by JSull:

Have you voiced your concern to the Time Warner Cable Direct forum?
I have found them to be a better source for action.
In my case, noted above, it was finally fixed...got 3 different phone calls from different TWC folks to verify that my channel was fixed. The sad part is it took from Nov 30 until Jan 24 to get it fixed. I have the silver dch6416 box and it serves me just fine. The difficulty is getting an issue escalated above the local CSR that you deal with on the phone.....which you do when contacting the TWC Direct forum.

Give it a try.

I will have to look into that with the next issue that may come up.