Look Outside

Bathroom questions / how to fix paint

Click for full size
where to put tp roll
Click for full size
I messed up
Click for full size
tp holder
1. Where should I put this toilet paper roll? What tools do I need?

2. How do I fix paint? I have a few random areas around the house like this. I've never painted much in my life but it seems simple enough, I just need to learn the basics/what to do.

In my bathroom, as one example (see the middle part of pic), my failed attempt consisted of this in this order:
1. Use drywall mud and then sand it. Did this only once
2. Use the same paint to try and cover it up (2 layers of glossy)
3. Use Kilz to try and make the area darker
4. Use glossy paint again (2 layers)
5. Still looks like crap, post on DSLR.

What should I have done to make it smooth and even looking?

How do I paint other parts of the house (I have a closet and a hallway I'd like to paint)? I'd rather not pay someone. I have the paint but don't want it to look like a kid did it.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Glossy paint magnifies any surface imperfections. You needed to sand more until the edge of the mud was feathered in perfectly with the existing wall. Use a light on the floor shining up the wall to really bring out the problems before using glossy paint. Once it is sanded perfectly smooth, then go to prime and paint. Now that you have painted over it, sanding will be difficult. You might have to add more mud, or use an electric sander. Beware of lead paint if using an electric sander.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fartness

You don't want to hang the TP dispenser where a shoulder or arm will hit it when getting off the toilet nor where the door to the cabinet will hit it when opening. The other wall facing the window might be best to keep it out of cabinet way. Best way is to add TP to it and hold it up to the wall while sitting on the toilet then judge where to hang it from there.

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to fartness

The quickest way to install a toilet paper holder is to get one of these »www.google.com/search?q=toilet+p···imgdii=_

If you really want to learn a new trade, the guys here will definitely get you there.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Ken

What should I use as a primer? Kilz is too dark, but two coats of the glossy white is too light if used with no primer.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

Kilz generally dries white... So I'm at a loss as to what you mean by "too dark"?

If you're doing a drastic colour change; then a tinted or coloured primer can go a long way to improving the finished look - but you said you top coated with white... So that's not an issue.

Ken's right on - use drywall mud to feather out any imperfections - and work in thin coats... 2-3 coats, sanding lightly between, until it's smooth and even. Rough up the existing paint with a medium or fine grit sandpaper, so that the new primer and pain bonds. Prime, then paint.

A semi-gloss or eggshell will be a more forgiving finish then a gloss, but it means repainting the entire room to match colour and finish.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

2-3 coats of mud then sand you mean?

LazMan
Premium
canada

2-3 coats of mud, sanding lightly between each coat...

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Do I do the same for the rest of the walls throughout the house that have egg shell coating on it? Some are just nicks and marks that can be painted over but some is chipped from hitting into the wall with objects.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to fartness

Matching and blending texture repairs is an art, more then a science. And it's an art I'm not good at...

I'll scrape and retexture an entire wall or ceiling, before I'll try and blend a repair in. But that's me.

If it's minor, then some drywall mud, an assortment of brushes and sponges and knives, and some patience are all the tools you'll need. Work it until it looks good, then walk away. If you try for perfection, you'll go too far.

Others may have better tips.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to fartness

After owning and painting several houses, my thoughts are the best method is to repair where needed and repaint the whole room. It will look fresh and beautiful.

Years ago I learned a trick with white paint. There are probably 60 shades of white and as many shades of black. The Eggshell color varies with each dealer. Lowe's Eggshell will not be the same color as Eggshell from Walmart as the formula is not the same, plus the paint may not be the same quality.

Eggshell has yellow tint added. You will not get a match on the Eggshell unless the paint and formula are identical. Plus ... you are trying to match old paint with new paint. To say the least it is a challenge. .

Oyster has black tint added. The only formula I've used for years is from Sherwin Williams. It is 1/2 Eggshell and 1/2 Oyster. This creates a white that is neither hospital sterile nor a shocking bright white. It always looks fresh yet it is not particularly noticeable. It is also an excellent ceiling color. For white trim I use a high gloss bright white against a colored background.

As for the bathroom there are floor-stand toilet paper holders of various construction and color. I like it in a small area because it can be moved.

--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

The paint is only 3.5 years old, so repainting the whole room might not be necessary. I repainted the window sill in the bathroom after 2.5 years since its last paint job and I can't tell the difference between what was painted before and what wasn't.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State

Wood is different than plaster or drywall. You may or may not see a difference when you paint the walls.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Expand your moderator at work

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

Re: Bathroom questions / how to fix paint

BTW for the tp roll question, see the picture, I already have it. I need to know what I need to install it.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

said by fartness:

I need to know what I need to install it.

What did it come with? Open it and see.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

The paint is only 3.5 years old, so repainting the whole room might not be necessary. I repainted the window sill in the bathroom after 2.5 years since its last paint job and I can't tell the difference between what was painted before and what wasn't.

So, my wife re-paints rooms after that length of time .... just because

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Benefits of not being married. The paint still looks like it was painted on yesterday.

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to fartness

These holders recess into the wall. Works good if you are tight on space.

What is the wall made of? Sheetrock? Lathe-n-Plaster?
If there is lathe back there, you should be able to screw into some.
You just have to find them to get into wood and not between.

If you want to put that holder that you got onto a sheetrock wall, you will probably need some anchors.
I like these:

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Drywall

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to fartness

what type of "drywall mud" did you use? some dries rock hard and cannot be sanded, this is really for patching small holes or filling nail holes.

why use glossy paint on the walls? use eggshell, you get some of the shine of gloss but the easy cleaning and imperfection hiding of flat.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fartness

I'm a lifelong professional painter...that being said...

Eggshell might be a color, but in the paint world eggshell is a sheen, it goes flat, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, gloss. The only sheen you can touch up is flat. Touching up an eggshell sheen will usually not blend in perfectly. You have to at least paint the whole wall. Patch with mud and sand, starting with the edges. Use your hand to feel the smoothness around the edges. Sand with 120 or 150 depending on how smooth the walls are. Most houses would be 120 or used 100. After priming with kilz, sand that too before painting. Kilz dries super smooth compared to the rest of the wall and will stand out if not sanded with 120. You should be good to go following these instructions.
--

I see that this thread is old, just trying to give back to the group.

we're all connected