Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: [Weather] Bundle Up Polar Vortex II Arriving on Track 1

said by Gone:

said by Hydraglass:

I hear at -29C people in Niagara Falls cease to exist...

Pretty much.

Glad you noticed that one was sort of aimed at you (Even though you're in Fort Erie now) - I remember you're comments of Niagara Falls never being quite that cold. (It's really rare for Kingston too - we actually broke our all-time record of -27.2 for today).

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Hydraglass:

said by Gone:

said by Hydraglass:

I hear at -29C people in Niagara Falls cease to exist...

Pretty much.

Glad you noticed that one was sort of aimed at you (Even though you're in Fort Erie now) - I remember you're comments of Niagara Falls never being quite that cold. (It's really rare for Kingston too - we actually broke our all-time record of -27.2 for today).

I remember Kingston being plenty cold. We would stop at the banks on the way home just to warm up by the ATMs after leaving a bar. And poutine from Bubbas on King.

Hydraglass
Premium Member

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

I remember Kingston being plenty cold. We would stop at the banks on the way home just to warm up by the ATMs after leaving a bar. And poutine from Bubbas on King.

Compared to the big smoke - yeah it's a lot colder - but in comparison to the rest of eastern ON (Brockville, Ottawa, Cornhole... errr Cornwall) it's always significantly warmer... (By warmer I mean when Brockville is -30 we're usually -24... while at the same time Toronto is -16). I think with the extended cold most of the east end of the lake (from Prince Edward across to Oswego roughly) has frozen now though from a quick check of the lake ice extent on EC. So there goes our "lake warming effect".

I remember one night back in '04 I think was - somewhere down around -30 in Kingston - I was in town for the night visiting friends... at the time I was living up near the Algonquin Park - so I was quite used to -30C and made fun of them for complaining that it was so much colder than normal... but now I understand

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

I came from Port Hope to Kingston, but Kingston seemed so much colder but that might be because of the amount of walking I did outside so I was in the cold more often.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Not as cold as I, but the cold is lasting longer with II, four consecutive mornings of zero or below zero F temps, through Friday morning.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope to DKS

to DKS
I like how when the east with most of the continents population gets some cold weather its now a "Polar Vortex" but out west we still have the Arctic High.

Media sensationalism at its finest.

Get used to the word as they'll be running with it every winter now. Meh.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

Yeah even during Polar Vortex I it didn't drop much below -20 at night, but even so that's pretty significant down this way. Supposed to be -19 here tonight. If the winds were bad we'd probably end up with another "frozen" Niagara Falls.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Because some people understand that global warming is about averages, not outliers.

Oh I understand it perfectly....that's why the "smile" was there.

FaxCap

Hydraglass
Premium Member

Hydraglass to Kitlope

Premium Member

to Kitlope
said by Kitlope:

I like how when the east with most of the continents population gets some cold weather its now a "Polar Vortex" but out west we still have the Arctic High.

Media sensationalism at its finest.

Get used to the word as they'll be running with it every winter now. Meh.

There is a bit of a difference - an "arctic High" is a relatively common thing - we get 10-20 per winter.. it's a normal high pressure over the prairies or northern ontario with rotation that brings air from the territories down over central Canada.

The "Polar Vortex" if you will, is an arctic high that gets pulled unnaturally far south by a dip in the jet stream. Normally the 54th parallel is the stopping point for arctic highs - southern ON, southern QC, and most of the US midwest get "cold" snaps - meaning daytime highs across ON ranging from -20 to -10C, and in the US they see lows "just subzero" F. The "Polar vortex" type thing typically only happens once or twice every 2-3 years and lasts for 3-5 days where the arctic high settles far enough south that places like Georgia and Alabama get snow flurries, the midwest sees lows in the -10F to -20F range, and the relatively more mild parts of eastern Canada see highs below -20C, lows at or below -30C, and sustained north winds with windchills pushing -40C... it's not unusual weather for Edmonton or Winnipeg -- as the typical arctic highs hit there repeatedly each winter. They don't get "sucked" this far south very often.

2 winters ago we had an unusually warm winter in this part of Canada (winter 2011/2012) - the "Polar vortex" settled over eastern Europe that year. Moscow was seeing -35C, Warsaw broke some all-time records, they were skating on the river in Prague.... which ever way the jet stream sucks/pulls the arctic highs is the part of the globe that gets these polar vortexes freezes more than normal. This year it's our turn. Europe is having a very nice mild January.

Kitlope
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

This is hardly a new weather phenomena. So why the sensationalistic naming? Is it because it's the trendy thing to do to get viewers watching The Weather Channel?

Seriously. Until this winter I have never heard the term. Now the Polar Vortex has occurred twice for weather events that are no different than prior weather events.

My point is that the media loves to throw fear-like names onto things and "Polar Vortex" is no different. It's silly.

Thanks for the description, I'm not an expert of eastern weather so helped me understand.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by Kitlope:

This is hardly a new weather phenomena. So why the sensationalistic naming? Is it because it's the trendy thing to do to get viewers watching The Weather Channel?

Seriously. Until this winter I have never heard the term. Now the Polar Vortex has occurred twice for weather events that are no different than prior weather events.

My point is that the media loves to throw fear-like names onto things and "Polar Vortex" is no different. It's silly.

Thanks for the description, I'm not an expert of eastern weather so helped me understand.

Are you channeling Rush Limbaugh? lol.
Get used to it. Like Polar Pig and Chibaria.
And this "Climate Change Might Just Be Driving the Historic Cold Snap"

Read more: Polar Vortex: Climate Change Could Be the Cause of Record Cold Weather | TIME.com »science.time.com/2014/01 ··· r4h4MQmO

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Kitlope

Premium Member

to Kitlope
It's because when this first happened we were experiencing some of the coldest weather in a generation. It was a big deal. Now the same thing is happening for a second time in the same winter. It's an even bigger deal now.

Hydraglass
Premium Member

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by Gone:

It's because when this first happened we were experiencing some of the coldest weather in a generation. It was a big deal. Now the same thing is happening for a second time in the same winter. It's an even bigger deal now.

Or in the case of some areas (here in Kingston) we're breaking all-time historic lows this week, and did it 3 weeks ago during "PV1" - two cold snaps that break all-time low records in one month is an "unusual event" to say the least. It may be no disaster - we're certainly used to cold in Canada and we can deal - but it's not typical winter weather in this part of the world. For the prairies? Sure.. for Quebec in the upper St Lawrence? Sure... but for the lower great lakes - not normal.

As for climate change - I read a really interesting article a few weeks ago (can't remember where) that said we might actually be in the middle of a climate war and not even realizing it -- that we could be pumping GHG's into the atmosphere which would contribute to an increase in overall average global temperature, and that there may be another small ice-age on the precipice of trying to begin as part of a normal historical cycle -- and it's actually losing to anthropomorphic CO2 creation... and that could be contributing to hughe temperature swings in the next 50-100 years with some exceptionally warm years in parts of the world, and some exceptionally cold ones too...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
Wind Chill is in effect again, they are estimating drops to -30c tonight. Time to crank up the heat to 15c, that should make the house very toasty.

Kitlope
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

It really is a Polar Vortex!
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

1 recommendation

Robrr to DKS

to DKS
I'm going to just leave this here:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· daI#t=46