All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

Pending install 1-23-13... Hope it goes well!

The title pretty much says it all; AT&T is installing Uverse -- U450 and Max Plus (18M) -- in my home this Thursday. Hopefully I get a decent tech, because chances are I know this system much better than (s)he does Plus, it'll be an easy install. I'll have one DVR, 2 wired STB's, and one wireless.

When I moved into this home (10/2013) I dropped 2 RG6 and 2-6 CAT6 drops into each room. The coax remains in the attic, but the networking stuff hits a 16U wall mounted swing frame in my garage. All cables are terminated on ADC CAT5 RJ-RJ panels, and ran up to a 24 port Cisco Catalyst 2950. Yes, a 10/100M switch. This thing has been absolutely rock solid, and hasn't even hiccuped since install. Eventually I'll step up to a 1G switch, but I don't have a reason as of now.

I'm going to make a bracket and mount whatever RG I get and a Netgear GS105 (or 108 if I can find it) in the frame. This way my network will be isolated, and will not catch any of the multicast traffic. Wireless will be split between my Asus RT-AC66N (N devices and AC when I finally get some) and an ancient Cisco Aironet 1200 (converted to IOS and G).

I kind of wanted to keep everything wired, but the wireless box will be a good "floater." It'll work great in my office this winter, and on my pool deck in the summer! From previous experience the wireless boxes were much more responsive too. Maybe something has changed in the last 3 years tho...?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Good luck .

Mind posting what equipment you receive during the install? I like knowing what most new customers are getting if you don't mind .

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

1 recommendation

weaseled386

said by Darknessfall:

Good luck .

Mind posting what equipment you receive during the install? I like knowing what most new customers are getting if you don't mind .

Yeah, that won't be a problem. I'll snap a pic of the rack also. The shelf for the RG & switch may be a little ghetto tho. I'll most-likely take an extra heat baffle and work a little magic on it. The best part is I have a total of less than $50 invested in everything behind-the-scenes! Extra stuff that has been laying around our warehouse for 3+ years. The most expensive part has been the wall plates and a box of RJ45 connectors... those things are like little golden nuggets.
weaseled386

1 recommendation

weaseled386

The install went very smooth today. I'm up and running, but have some "modifications" to take care of. As with any service, all I want the installer to do is make it work; I'll handle getting everything placed where I want it later

Here are the devices:

RG: 3801HGV
DVR: ISB7500
STB (wired): IPN330HD (x2)
STB (wifi): ISB7005 with VAP2500 access point

Before I post any pictures I have to get everything wired in right. One thing I didn't expect is they make a wall mount bracket for the 3801! That'll make things much MUCH easier.

No surprises, no problems, all good so far!

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Thanks for the update .

Seems like a lot of people are getting those VAP2500s even if they're not in a Motorola market.

SC80
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
Dearborn, MI

SC80 to weaseled386

Premium Member

to weaseled386
Thanks for sharing!