Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

[WIN7] Cannot start Task Scheduler

I was attempting to run the defragment program and it says that the task scheduler is not running. When I try to start the task scheduler it tells me it cannot find the remote computer. I have tried everything, even running through the suggested Microsoft troubleshooting scenario's. Any suggestions?
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut

Premium Member

»www.sevenforums.com/gene ··· ler.html

It suggests changing a registry setting and reboot.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

I looked on 2 machines I am not sure where that key is located. All I see is HKEY and I do not find anything under local machine schedule similar to the suggested change.
rfnut
Premium Member
Fisher, IL

rfnut

Premium Member

Its in the registry, not the file system. If you are not familiar with teh registry, i suggest not going there. Another method is to verify in MSCONFIG that all the services under the service tab are check marked. Ill bet Task Schedule is unchecked.
(START > Run type msconfig)

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

I am familiar with the registry editor, maybe what they listed is for an older version of Windows. The key they were attempting to state to edit is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\schedule.
The Task Scheduler is checked. When I go into Services and start it, it immediately stops. That is what has me baffled. There is no error code, it just stops, even if I start it using the command.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

randavis

Are you running as Admin?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Yes it is running as admin.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
Blue Springs, MO

randavis

Click for full size
This is what I have there.
rfnut
Premium Member
Fisher, IL

rfnut

Premium Member

Almost caught me. I was posting same screeny.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Hank

Premium Member

to Hank
Anything in the event logs?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank to randavis

Premium Member

to randavis
Yes, that is exactly what I have on both machines - one works the other doesn't. On the machine that it will not continue running when I open the Task Schedule (tashschd.msc) it states that "Reading Data Failed", plus it tells me it cannot find the remote pc. It is set for the local machine. I get the same results when using the default admin account. I must be overlooking something.
Hank

Hank

Premium Member

Oh, maybe I found the problem. I don't see the Task Scheduler Library folders listed. Now to figure out how to restore them.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
Blue Springs, MO

randavis

Can you export the library folders from the working machine and import them into the non-working machine?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

1 edit

Hank

Premium Member

I can export the files, but there are several different programs and games installed on the machine that is not working. So I am concerned that if I import the files from the working machine that I will create additional problems.

It is a 4k xml file and I would have to do quite a bit of editing to the file to reflect the other user and the pc information. I am not familiar with xml files and do not know if there is any hidden data that may cause problems. I am wondering if there is anyway to force windows to recreate that file?

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
Blue Springs, MO

randavis

You may be able to do a non-destructive repair install of Win7. It may recreate the folders.

Fred Langa of Windows Secrets has a good tutorial on how to do it.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Yes, I have done that in the past on a couple machines. I'll have to do a current backup before doing attempting the repair install. Since it is the wife's PC, I'll also have to do it when she is not at home.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
Blue Springs, MO

randavis

Wife's PC means PRIORITY here! When her PC don't work, she expects me to drop everything and FIX IT NOW.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Same here also. The problem here is exasperated by the fact the we have Frontier for our ISP and it is also very slow. So I am in survival mode. lol