uniqs

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

Anyone here of these guys before or have any experience?

»www.wifiapartments.com

Working with an 80 2/5 story apartment complex and did a big presentation on a solution with great coverage and a great price then they threw this in my face today asking why they should go with our solution VS »www.wifiapartments.com

I put in a call to the company to get a feel or info on what it is they are using.

They claim as little as $2 per apartment per month includes equipment, management, repairs etc? I don't get the warm and fuzzies..

Thanks
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Open-Mesh type equipment bought in bulk maybe? »www.open-mesh.com
$2 per month does seem low even if Open-Mesh type equipment is used. 500 devices, a worst case scenario I can think of, would be about $35,000. That would be about $6/month just for the equipment to be paid back in 12 months with no interest. Optimistically assuming a 4 apartment per one AP solution gets to $1.50 per month on hardware alone. See if they will give references to previous clients with you pretending to be a potential customer or will detail out examples of successful deployments in similar scenarios. It would not surprise me if you find out that the $2/month is just the starting point for most of their deployments and that the actual final cost for a successful deployment is much higher. If the buildings have no metal water or sewage pipes, are made only out of thin wood, sheet rock, and plaster, and have apartments less than 500 square feet, you get the $2/month service with a 12 apartment to 1 AP solution Anything else and the cost goes up I bet.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

I put a call in to them, its after hours for sales so I hope to hear back tomorrow. I did however get in touch with the tech support group hahahaha they said its a best effort and the one apartment complex close to me they said is really slow best speeds are 2 megs down max!

I probed further about other places he stated we are just providing a basic service we don't do anything special for speeds no public IP's if you want all that and better faster speeds then you would have to order from the local carrier.

So from what I can gather its a non issue for me I already let the potential customer know that its not even a fair comparison. I quoted bringing in a 100 meg fiber connection to the complex. They anticipate 50% signing up, more if it works as plans.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

2Mbps is the kind of speed that will just make the tenants resent the owner for implying that WiFi access to the WWW is being provided. It would probably be better not to offer it at all.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

I agree.. But they claimed its fine for streaming netflix, voip, etc etc.. OHHH yeah you might have problems with HD content.. hahahaha