Search similar:

uniqs

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

[Help] LogMeIn Free Discontinued - Suggested Alternatives?

Just received an email that effective immediately, LogMeIn Free is no longer a product and you must sign up for the paid version. There's a 7 day period after your next use of LogMeIn Free to switch or have no access.

I used LogMeIn Free to access my computer at home while I was at work and more importantly to support my parents/in-laws who live out of state. I had previously used VNC, etc and wondering if there's are comparable products to LogMeIn Free that are available allowing me to support my family. I don't use any of this for "commercial" work.

Thanks,
David

Dr Tweak
join:2004-09-23
Chesapeake, VA

Dr Tweak

[Help] Re: LogMeIn Free Discontinued - Suggested Alternatives?

Chrome Remote Desktop

moseby
Ool For Me
Premium Member
join:2002-11-18
Somers, NY

3 recommendations

moseby to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ
»www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Been using them for years, free for home use.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ
Thanks, I don't like team viewer much..
That Chrome remote desktop, can i remote in whenever i need just like logmein?
Chuts
join:2006-03-01
Brandon, FL

Chuts

Teamviewer has changed since it first came out .... I like it better now. It's almost like Skype in that you can tell when the remote is online. No more getting a code from the remote to access the remote.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ
Teamviewer or Splashtop.

Dr Tweak
join:2004-09-23
Chesapeake, VA

1 recommendation

Dr Tweak to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

That Chrome remote desktop, can i remote in whenever i need just like logmein?

Yes, you can set it to run all the time and login whenever you like. It's very stable, secure and fast.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to GeekNJ

to GeekNJ
I would suggest Splashtop as well. I use it between my laptop/PC and iDevices with no issues.

NefCanuck

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to GeekNJ

MVM

to GeekNJ
Teamviewer would be my choice, but Go To Meeting, »www.joingotomeeting.com/ ··· set=true, or Join Me, »join.me/, might be viable choices for you.

No. The last 2 mentioned are not free.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

I'm quite interested to know what you don't like about Team Viewer. I like it much better than Remote Desktop or VNC, plus it's braindead simple to talk a non-techie through joining a session so that you can help them.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

What I like about Splashtop is that it starts up every time the user logs in and there's no need to talk anyone through the process of joining a session. You just remote in.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

What I like about Splashtop is that it starts up every time the user logs in and there's no need to talk anyone through the process of joining a session. You just remote in.

TeamViewer can also be configured to run on startup (it actually runs as a service, so a user doesn't even need to log in). I only have to talk a first-timer through getting connected.

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

1 recommendation

GeekNJ

Premium Member

Thanks everyone. Teamviewer seems to be a logical replacement with it installed, running and waiting at startup. I installed it on 2 home computers and briefly clicked around and it seems to be fine. With LogMeIn Free I didn't use anything but remote control to fix whatever they "didn't touch but somehow it no longer works". I'll connect into my in-laws and parents computers tomorrow and get those switched over.

I really appreciate all the terrific responses.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

chachazz to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ
How do I switch from LogMeIn Free to TeamViewer
»www.teamviewer.com/en/he ··· wer.aspx
LeafNation
join:2014-01-22

LeafNation to GeekNJ

to GeekNJ
I would suggest Techinline as a possible alternative. While it's not entirely free, based on its price it's literally the closest thing out there to being free and also allow commercial use.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to moseby

Premium Member

to moseby
said by moseby:

»www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Been using them for years, free for home use.

I've been a fairly happy TeamViewer user with a few exceptions.

1) My license doesn't seem to stay attached to the two systems I've licensed and it's annoying me.

2) The "log out" option to allow you to log back into a system as administrator or a user with administrative rights doesn't always work reliably, whereas reboot usually does. However sometimes even then you need to ask a person in front of the system to start TeamViewer for you and try again for no particular reason.

They do not force you to upgrade your license if a new version comes out which is good too, so if you paid for 8 you don't have to upgrade to 9, the older version will still work just fine.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ
I got the notice too, I think I am headed to teamviewer. Another thought I had was either ultraVNC with a logmein hamachi account. That is only $29/yr for up to 32 machines (1 network), or I thought $58/yr for up to 64 machines (2 networks). I don't manage that many so the $29/yr might not be a bad idea.

if you have an iphone, teamviewer is it. There is also NTR free cloud as well I thought about.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ
... of course, this is all assuming you don't have a static IP and a Windows server (which could be easily configured to host VPN connections).
The Antihero
join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA

1 recommendation

The Antihero to GeekNJ

to GeekNJ
I used Logmein free for years, until I had to remote into one of my machines yesterday, and got a message telling me that the free version was going to be discontinued in a week. A little more advanced notice would have been nice. A real dick move on their part.

I considered going to the paid version, until I found out that the $49 price was only an introductory offer that would double in a year, and that it would only support two computers. I ended up going with Teamviewer, and I'm happy with it so far.

So I connected to each computer with Logmein, used it to install Teamviewer, disconnected Logmein, reconnected with Teamviewer, and used it to uninstall Logmein. So long, adios, goodbye, etc.

TwoFrogs
Times Fun when You're Having Flies
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Redlands, CA

TwoFrogs

MVM

said by The Antihero:

I used Logmein free for years, until I had to remote into one of my machines yesterday, and got a message telling me that the free version was going to be discontinued in a week. A little more advanced notice would have been nice. A real dick move on their part.

I considered going to the paid version, until I found out that the $49 price was only an introductory offer that would double in a year, and that it would only support two computers. I ended up going with Teamviewer, and I'm happy with it so far.

So I connected to each computer with Logmein, used it to install Teamviewer, disconnected Logmein, reconnected with Teamviewer, and used it to uninstall Logmein. So long, adios, goodbye, etc.

This. Exactly my experience and sentiments.

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David to The Antihero

Premium Member

to The Antihero
said by The Antihero:

That's pretty much what I have been doing.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to The Antihero

Premium Member

to The Antihero
Same here, along with Remote Desktop/VPN for LANs behind servers with static IP.
Expand your moderator at work

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5 to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ

Re: [Help] LogMeIn Free Discontinued - Suggested Alternatives?

I use TeamViewer. Very easy to set up and very easy to use.

CNet had an article today.

»howto.cnet.com/8301-1131 ··· D3c77551
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ
Teamviewer

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ
NTR login is another one (free cloud) I believe. They also allow installs on linux and mac I believe.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

1 recommendation

mmainprize to GeekNJ

to GeekNJ
One more to the list, This one work behind firewalls and NAT without problems, is very small and work through a web browser.
»sourceforge.net/projects ··· thinvnc/