spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Kegman
@205.148.53.x

Kegman

Anon

[OOL] Is my OOL modem outdated?

I have this momma jamma as my cablevision modem.
»www.cbvnol.com/images/sb5101.gif
Now, I'm paying a monthly fee for it and since they just shoved it up my ass with the new monthly fee on top of it.

My question is A. Is this modem outdated and should I be requesting they update it, or B. Should I go out and buy my own? Any suggestions what to get?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

1) That modem is highly out dated. Go to a walk in centre and get a arris docsis 3

2) ool doesn't charge for Modems

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to Kegman

to Kegman
You could also call customer service. They'll likely ship you a new one and a box to return the old one at no cost.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31

They didn't even want mine back.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to Kegman

to Kegman
That's my modem! I subscribe to basic OOL at 18/5 so I really do not need an upgrade. Besides, I own this modem as there has been a continuous chain of custody since I bought my SB4100 at The Wiz back in 2001.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to Kegman

Premium Member

to Kegman
Not an OOL customer.
"Carolina Mountain Cablevision"
Waynesville, NC

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx
So you would rather hold on to a modem that you bought in 2001 with 2 bonded download channels and one upload instead of switching it in for 8 channels of bonded download and 2 for upload?

I think you got your moneys worth out of that modem. It's been 13 years.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

said by MuDvAyNe:

So you would rather hold on to a modem that you bought in 2001 with 2 bonded download channels and one upload instead of switching it in for 8 channels of bonded download and 2 for upload?

I think you got your moneys worth out of that modem. It's been 13 years.

No. I bought an SB4100. Cablevision took it back a few years ago and gave me a SB5100. Last time I checked, I did not qualify for a replacement because I am on basic service. If I were to upgrade to Boost, then I would qualify.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff

MVM,

You don't have to "qualify" (at least not for awhile). If that SB5100 is in the system as a customer-owned modem, you can walk in to any service center and pick up a D3 modem free of charge. You get to keep your SB5100 as a doorstop or a backup.

If it's recorded as leased, then you can swap it for a D3 modem (and you should've kept your 4100).
Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff to MuDvAyNe

MVM,

to MuDvAyNe
DOCSIS1/2 do not support any channel bonding. So it would switch from a single download channel to up to 8.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to n2jtx

MVM

to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

Last time I checked, I did not qualify for a replacement because I am on basic service. If I were to upgrade to Boost, then I would qualify.

Cablevision wants to get the Surfboards out of their system and get everyone onto the Arris platform with their DOCSIS 3 modems, regardless of tier. Like others have said, you are doing yourself a great disservice by not swapping it out. They wouldn't even think twice if you went to an Optimum store and ask to replace it. They may even throw in a free gigabit router while they are at it, though you would double as an Optimum Wifi hotspot with their router.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Kegman

to Kegman
Being able to load balance your traffinc among 8 channels is better for both you and Cablevision. They won't give you a hard time about the modem swap. You can even lie and tell them you have slow speeds and want a Docsis 3 modem to help if you think they will be a problem.
kensmiles
join:2002-01-13
Ridgewood, NJ

kensmiles to mbernste

to mbernste
Just out of curiosity, is "swapping a modem" as easy as moving the connections from one modem to the other? Is there anything else that has to be done?

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

Yeah swap the connections and then you open the browser to provision the new modem to your account.

Man Mountain
join:2014-01-16
Stony Brook, NY

Man Mountain to Kegman

to Kegman
It may take a few tries also. I recently updated my modem for Ultra 50 and got a few error messages before I was able to provision.