uniqs
share rss forum feed

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
Severn Bridge, ON
kudos:1
reply to wayner92

Re: The Rogers Cable guys job

Sarcasm noted, and I up you Rogers smart home monitoring and Switched digital video.

.... Why the hell Comcast doesn't just buy us...

alpovs

join:2009-08-08
reply to wayner92

said by wayner92:

[sarcasm]You mean just like the Hitron CGN3 gateway and Nextbox 2.0/3.0 cable boxes[/sarcasm]

+1!

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to cepnot4me

OMG don't get me started on SDV! "That channel is not available please try again later" Just get rid of all the analog and get rid of SDV! I HATE it! (and that's a strong word for me!)
--
Hello

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
reply to cepnot4me

This guy must have been raised the same way. Really smooth and efficient, maybe 10 minted in total. He gave us a brief overview of the PVR, then he looked at me, said "yeah, you can figure it out." Then warned me the box needs about an hour to figure it's own shit out.

I think we were his last call because they knew it was going to be short. Swap boxes.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON

1 edit
reply to cepnot4me

The Rogers Cable guys job:

1.) Be lazy as possible.

2.) Do as sloppy as possible cabling job and crimp F-type connectors wrong.

3.) Run threw your home like a bull in china shop.

4.) Show up 2 hours late or not all.

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

What I don't mention is the wages we make.
What you describe happens when guys are struggling to make ends meet. You'd be surprised if I told you what a guy got paid while at your house.

Good news, not every one of us is willing to compromise quality or your satisfaction just because your work order pays less than minimum wage. I averaged $0.30/ hour on my worst day in my career.

But the customers I serviced were incredibly satisfied, their problems resolved and their opinion of me/Rogers high.

In my opinion, my wages will not determine my quality of work. Sadly though Not all of us feel that way.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

1 edit
reply to neuromancer1

said by neuromancer1:

The Rogers Cable guys job:

1.) Be lazy as possible.

2.) Do as sloppy as possible cabling job and crimp F-type connectors wrong.

3.) Run threw you home like a bull in china shop.

4.) Show up 2 hours late or not all.

im no fan of rogers as i cut their cord, but when i was with them and when i switched to tsi the techs that did show up were not lazy, did run and crimp and repair new and existing wiring, were courteous . as to running late depends on their previous appointments and what needed to be done. not saying every tech is good but they are blue collar workers and you will get some aholes working there as in any company.

as to rogers corporate mangement team, well thats another story

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Corporate... in my opinion as a customer and experience as a contractor.. Ted Rogers was a Canadian Steve Jobs of sorts. He always planned for what was going to be, not what was needed now. I heard a story about Scientific Atlanta once during the early days of digital TV they were to be our exclusive provider of Docsis 2 and set top boxes. As HD was just beginning to grow in popularity Rogers looked to get ahead of the curve. Something happened with Scientific Atlanta, Rogers got back ordered on HD boxes, digital boxes.. etc. I guess Comcast and big US cable providers were placing orders for millions of boxes, and Rogers while big in Canada, was told their order for a few hundred thousand boxes wasn't as important as these US companies.

Ted was so livid, that he cancelled his orders, had the company restructure the network to support a new platform, and ordered "Pace" boxes and Motorola modems.

He wasn't going to be treated as a second priority. This is the guy who realized the potential of fiber and it's future appkications 25-30 years ago, before Internet. Before digital cable..

Eventually SA figured out that Rogers wasn't ordering anything anymore and I assume negotiations began.

Since then, Rogers without Ted seems to have become a reactive company as opposed to a leader in innovation.

After Ted passed all facets of the industry began to errode. Contractors wages have gotten reduced so low that the average experience for a tech is 24 months. Lack of experience results in chronic issues to be misdiagnosed, misreported, unresolved to the point that customers leave to go to other providers simply because a contractor isn't experienced enough to recognize a suck out when he sees it.

In my opinion, "strategic" budget cuts, changes in process and priorities etc successfully slit the throat that caused the company to start bleeding customers. What used to be a strong front line of experience and education has become Taiwan sweat shop like quality.

I like to believe Ted would never have allowed his company to get to this level. I hope the new CEO Guy Laurence realizes the problems with middle management and the cost of paying the lowest bidder to represent your front lines, and the cost of being reactive as opposed to being proactive.
And I hope he adjusts the direction of the company accordingly. Rogers has the potential in its products to destroy the competition.. however how they have been doing business the last 5 years is a good indication that they are failing to capitalize on their own strengths, and constructing their own great collapse.

zamarac

join:2008-11-29

1 edit

said by cepnot4me:

Rogers has the potential in its products to destroy the competition

That is NOT what Canadians are looking for! We're fed up with telcos buying up or destroying competition to ramp up rates and profit well above other developed world.

Regarding Guy, media reported his record at Vodafone UK didn't seem to produce any revolutionary changes except more friendly customer service, and he has no specialized or any education. The thinking was, Rogers hired him to get rid of its prospective competitor Verizon Wireless, since Vodaphone owns 45% of Verizon US shares, and can cool them off. It was apparently accomplished, with Verizon abandoning plans for Canadian expansion. But now Vodafone wants to drop their Verizon shares, probably to get extra cash needed to invest in Europe (»www.investorschronicle.co.uk/201···cle.html). That may result in Verizon getting more competitive in the US, and looking forward coming to Canada again.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:2

said by zamarac:

said by cepnot4me:

Rogers has the potential in its products to destroy the competition

That is NOT what Canadians are looking for! We're fed up with telcos buying up or destroying competition to ramp up rates and profit well above other developed world.

Regarding Guy, his record at Vodafone UK didn't seem to produce any revolutionary changes except more friendly customer service, and he has no specialized or any education. I was thinking, Rogers hired him to get rid of its prospective competitor Verizon Wireless, since Vodaphone owns 45% of Verizon US shares, and can cool them off. It was accomplished, with Verizon abandoning plans for Canadian expansion. But now Vodafone wants to drop their Verizon shares, probably to get extra cash needed to invest in Europe (»www.investorschronicle.co.uk/201···cle.html). THat may result in Verizon getting more competitve in the US, and looking forward coming to Canada again.

That's what Rogers needs right now. Except for their TV service, Rogers offers a very good hard product in all other categories. If they want to justify the rates they charge, they really need to provide their customers with white glove service.

wayner92

join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON
reply to zamarac

said by zamarac:

But now Vodafone wants to drop their Verizon shares, probably to get extra cash needed to invest in Europe

There are good reasons for this as since VOD only had 45% they did not have control. They wanted to get some cashflow from Verizon Wireless, but for many years Verizon didn't want the company to pay out dividends, so it didn't. Over the past few years VOD has been moving away from minority holdings in other parts of the globe that were purchased by a previous generation of management. My understanding is that the relationship between VOD and VZ is/was NOT good so hiring Guy is more likely to antagonize VZ than to placate them. In addition Guy was in charge of Vodafone UK, so it is not clear if he had much, or even anything, to do with Verizon Wireless or the realationship between VZ and VOD.

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I think it'll be interesting.. does anyone remember that amazing thing exiting CEO Nadir accomplished?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Ya.. exactly.. I think all Nadir did was retire when Bell got competitive...

I welcome competition, I loved the idea of Verizon coming up, even the rumors of videotron.. (?) entering the Ontario market. Shaw re-branding Star choice to try and relaunch the service.. competition drives down costs and promotes quality over monopoly. .. I'd love to see it all happen.

zamarac

4 edits
reply to cepnot4me

said by cepnot4me:

I averaged $0.30/ hour on my worst day in my career.

How about the best day? Rogers charges their bandwidth landing partners $100 service fee per customer visit, which is then charged to their subscribers. Hope Rogers shares at least 50% of that charge with contractors doing the job?

said by yyzlhr:

If they want to justify the rates they charge, they really need to provide their customers with white glove service.

While Rogers is more responsive than some competitors due to more staffing, they hardly provide better service. Most of their responses are canned, and often inconsistent. Their 75% and 100% Bandwidth Usage Notifications over web are often intentionally sent late despite many customers rely on them, leading to high over-usage charges at the end of billing period. Rogers illegally cuts off customers from web account access and billing & usage info upon a subscriber submitting a Service Cancel Notice, while they remain paying customers for at least 30 days after that. That often results in more over-usage charges levied due to subscriber can't monitor their current usage, with the only tool being inaccessible through their web account. Looking at speed & rate comparison chart (»Why Canadian Broadband prices are so high?), Rogers plan speeds are way too low and rates are way too high compare to most developed nations, and can hardly be justified by improved customer service most subscribers seldom use. Majority of Rogers internet subscribers are limited to SD video experience by high rates & bandwidth caps now - that's 15 years after HD video became standard (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video). Wireless service competition seems also frozen in Canada, with rates in dense populated areas far greater than in Europe, and minuscule data caps.

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

My best day as a contractor, not including the days I supplied my own van, fuel, tools, etc. Was $498.

I put in 12 hours that day. That was also before 2007. End of 2006 they cut the rates we get paid in half in some places, 100% in others.

A great day now for the average guy is $200-$250. Maybe $300 if he gets the ideal orders. The average day is $100-$140.HD. A TPIA order pays $9-11... regardless of how long it will take.

Sort of explains why the guys seem grumpy, rushed or inexperienced? We just lost a tech cause he got full time at Walmart, That's the state of wages around here.

HD hasn't been the standard in Canada for 15 years. Its been around that long, but it hasn't been the standard for television. 9 years ago I was installing 1 HD box to 25 digital boxes. Now I'm doing 1 digital to 25 HD.

I'd say it's been the standard over passing digital in maybe the last 5-7 years.
Your absolutely correct on their billing and customer service, they are out to lunch. TPIA providers are crushing them using their own network and technology but providing better customer relations, better tools for bandwidth monitoring, and realistic unlimited packages.

If I could blame one thing, it's a reluctance to update the account management software.

Which... interestingly enough.. they are doing Right now. I'm seeing orders booked in the new software already, my user interface to those systems is getting updated again in March, is it going to fix everything? I think the idealistic answer is yes, however I can't sit here and put all my faith in some new software...

I think Rogers is going to require a much deeper introverted perspective of itself to right the antiquated wrongs that your outlining.

zamarac

said by cepnot4me:

A TPIA order pays $9-11... regardless of how long it will take.

So for a TPIA order a contractor usually gets 10% of what Rogers gets reimbursed by the TPIA? Do they pay more when servicing direct Rogers accounts, and why such a difference?

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

The way piece work works in a nutshell is we get paid for each piece of equipment we connect and the line that feeds it. In a nutshell, there are a few other things that have a pay code, but the bulk of our revenue comes from those two tasks.

So for TPIA, we install the line to feed the modem. 1 line. We don't get paid to connect the modem because it is the property of the TPIA provider and they are explicit in their instructions that it is their property, and we are not to touch it.

A Rogers Internet install gets the same line, and we are responsible to connect and verify the Rogers modem is online. So we get $13-$20. (The variances come because all individual contractors set their own rates.) the work doesn't pay less because it is TPIA vs Rogers. It pays less cause it technically involves less work.

I had a Rogers Internet install that took 5hrs, paid $21.

Now that being said, you have to take into perspective what a full bundle pays.
4 tv's, Internet and phone. Let's assume all the lines are present, already connected.. we still get paid the same. For arguments sake we will say it's $15 for a line and a box on the end of it. That's $90. In the ideal circumstances where everything is existing and requires nothing be redone, just connect equipment, verify and leave. I'm done 4 tv's, home phone and Internet in 35 minutes. Our newer guys, maybe 1 hour.

So it's $90/hr.

So if I do one bundle and a TPIA in 60 minutes, I'm making $100/hr.

Provided I can get 10 TPIA and 10 bundles in one day.

That never happens though.

Cord cutting. There is a lot fewer bundles now a days.. but a huge increase in Internet only accounts.

So a regular day will be about 8 Internet installs/service.

$80-$150 max. Providing no call cancels or gets rebooked. (a cancelled call pays $0, so we hate when your not home for your appointment) And everything is existing with good cable, good splitters and done perfectly to our current specs. (15% of the houses we go to.)

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

The system is flawed, but it does work to a point.

If anyone paid attention to the news 2011/2012 we had the CEP try to unionize all the contractors to fix the industry. There was a strike, it was a joke... They reported publicly that some techs make less than minimum wage.
This is true. However as I pointed out in a blog I designed to fight the union, it's not the rates we are paid. It's the products the consumers order.
As people order less, we make less. We make decent wages when customers order multiple products. The better a house is wired, the faster the installation goes, the faster the installation goes, the more installations we can do.

Contractors are basically self employed. If I don't feel like hustling, I make less. If no one books orders, I make less. Just like running my own business.
I'm fast, I'm smart and I know my stuff. I make good wages.

A lazy guy, with no desire to hustle, spends all day at a house trying to fix a cable line as opposed to just popping a new line out the wall, represents the percentile that makes less than minimum wage. The union seemed to think the guy who rebooks anything that is hard work and then sits at Rims for a few hours should earn the same as me, who will spend 6 hours rewiring your house from start to finish because it needs to be done.

The Job rewards go getters, hard workers. But only IF customers place the orders for us to do.

We have guys in Toronto pulling $100,000/year.

They do 14 hrs a day, 6 days a week
But that's what it's all about. If you want to work, you can make the money if you work in a populated area which has a lot of calls.

In areas like Owen Sound where the population is low, you make less.

We struck down the union. Some contractors embraced them. The end result was that wages still didn't improve... cause the union couldn't convince the customers to order more products for the techs to install.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to cepnot4me

said by cepnot4me:

I think it'll be interesting.. does anyone remember that amazing thing exiting CEO Nadir accomplished?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Ya.. exactly.. I think all Nadir did was retire when Bell got competitive...

I welcome competition, I loved the idea of Verizon coming up, even the rumors of videotron.. (?) entering the Ontario market. Shaw re-branding Star choice to try and relaunch the service.. competition drives down costs and promotes quality over monopoly. .. I'd love to see it all happen.

Nadir was not a good CEO from a customer perspective, but from a shareholder perspective he did his job quite well.

zamarac

reply to cepnot4me

said by cepnot4me:

the union couldn't convince the customers to order more products for the techs to install.

That's Rogers job, not the Union. For years they pushed cable bundles with hundreds of "basic" paid channels nothing to watch on, and extra fee add-ons with something to watch time to time. Some may say these were fake bundles, and way overpriced. Now internet offers everyone immediate low cost access to almost entire Hollywood collection, and OTA offers latest news in HD, so why would subscribers keep jumping on Rogers cable bandwagon with a few endlessly looped old movies? Telkos need to adapt services to current edge - not by throttling competitors of course, and package subs will come back.

SimplePanda

join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to aereolis

While not SDV they're going to be fixing it sooner or later it seems:

»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/04···-2-years

Probably a good thing. FibeTV really does blow the doors off of Rogers Cable in terms of both functionality and video quality (having had Rogers Cable for quite some time before switching to Fibe TV and experience both first hand).

wayner92

join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

Is that true if you are watching multiple HD streams, like four at once?

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to SimplePanda

said by SimplePanda:

While not SDV they're going to be fixing it sooner or later it seems:

»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/04···-2-years

Probably a good thing. FibeTV really does blow the doors off of Rogers Cable in terms of both functionality and video quality (having had Rogers Cable for quite some time before switching to Fibe TV and experience both first hand).

I'd be very skeptical of that timeline. They're already getting real close to that two year mark.

Although, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that's why they pretty much refuse to make any improvements to RTN.

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON

Rogers IPTV is ready to go. It's just not launched, I think it's still in Beta testing in employees homes at this point. Keep in mind the new Fiber internet connections from Rogers are the backbone of IPTV.

iamkyle

join:2011-03-22
Newmarket, ON

said by cepnot4me:

Rogers IPTV is ready to go. It's just not launched, I think it's still in Beta testing in employees homes at this point. Keep in mind the new Fiber internet connections from Rogers are the backbone of IPTV.

I wouldn't expect this to mean a mass FTTH rollout, though. More like a backbone technology change. All of those nextboxes have ethernet jacks on the back of them - watch those get enabled for IPTV use as opposed to something strictly DOCSIS-based.

cepnot4me

Severn Bridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

FTTH, so far, is FTTS. They've enabled specific GTA buildings. (Easier, fiber wiring is there from Bell, just a matter of switching off their plant onto ours in the Telco room. FTTH might still be a ways away but expect the service to launch only where Bell Fibe is actively doing FTTH. Mass rollout? Probably just as long of a wait as it would be for Bell to expand their coverage.

The Ethernet port on the Cisco is because it has a Docsis 2 modem built in. (maybe docsis 3.. I'm not 100%) this modem I had originally been told doesn't actually exist in the box, it's an option Rogers could have ordered, however I'm willing to bet most of them do have it, and the software has it disabled.

It would make sense to utilize the docsis capability of the nextbox. I pulled up a spec sheet from Cisco.

The 9865 is a docsis 3 modem. If initialized, it can be ordered without The modem, the modem set 8/4 channels, or the modem sharing the channels with the digital feed.

I don't know which model Rogers got. But from the looks of the spec sheet, it's purpose is only to provide access, not manage or operate any IPTV services. Just an access point I'd Rogers wanted it to be your Internet connection And your pvr. Which they will never do.