All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

FusionGuy
join:2001-12-06

FusionGuy

[TV] Rogers PVR's in Hamilton

Why can't former Shaw customers in Hamilton use the Nexbox 3.0 boxes or just keep the equipment that Shaw used? The reason I'm asking is I just had to get rid of my brand new DCX3510 that had a full HD guide for an old DCX3400 with standard non-HD guide. Also my DCX3510 had all the HD channels starting on channel 3 and now I have to search for them on a outdated menu in the 200 range. What is going on here? I'm very disappointed in this.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

Funny because we were just talking about 'locked' devices in Canada Chat IIRC. Cell phones can be easily unlocked, but someone was complaining how their VoIP adaptor (I believe it was Primus) can't be unlocked (not at least without hacking).

It of course applies to things like these stupid cable boxes. The issue really is that Rogers firmware is different that Shaw's, so devices can't work on each others network. I'm not even sure if you could hack it if you wanted to. Your best bet might be to see if you can swap with someone that moved from Hamilton to outside who has a SHAW HD PVR and wants a Rogers Nextbox 3.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to FusionGuy

Premium Member

to FusionGuy
Incompatible systems. Seems the your area is on Motorola equipment similar to what Shaw and Rogers in Atlantic Canada uses.

The NB3 is currently in Cisco/SA equipment areas. NB2 is used on Motorola boxes in New Brunswick. It's likely the NB2 Atlantic firmware and headend can be adapted for Hamilton but that's up to Rogers.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to FusionGuy

to FusionGuy
Interesting. Was this change forced on you and all Shaw customers?

FusionGuy
join:2001-12-06

FusionGuy

Yes, as far as I know all Shaw cable customers in Hamilton.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to FusionGuy

to FusionGuy
Same thing happened when Rogers took over Aurora. All their equipment was trashed, replaced with Rogers, but they did provide like for like to all ACI customers. Basically it's less work to change your equipment, than it is to make your equipment on the network.