uniqs
relish
join:2009-07-21
Sterling Heights, MI

4 edits

3 recommendations

relish

[Speed] Comcast 2014-2016 Side Discussion about Speed Upgrades

Mod Note: Tracking here, please: »[Speed] Report Performance 50/5, Blast 105/10 & Extreme 150/20 Here

or, if appropriate, in one of these topics ...

»[Speed] Report Performance Pro 75/5, Blast 75/10 & Blast 150/10

»[Speed] Report Extreme 250 & Extreme 300 Internet Speed Tiers Here

»[Speed] Report Gigabit Pro ( Fiber To The Home / FTTH ) Service Here

»Exclusive: Comcast to Double Tier Speeds. Again. [105] comments
quote:
Many users only just received Comcast's last batch of speed increases, and now a reliable source at Comcast tells us that another round of updates are in the pipeline for users in some markets. According to the source, Comcast will be boosting their "Performance" tier from 25 to 50 Mbps, their "Blast" tier from 50 to 105 Mbps, and their "Extreme" service may be moving from 105 Mbps to 305 Mbps (this last one's not set in stone).
"Performance" tier: 25 to 50 Mbps
"Blast" tier: 50 to 105 Mbps
"Extreme" tier: 105 Mbps to 150 Mbps (confirmed)"
Sources:
1. »www.businesswire.com/new ··· -Time-12
2. Several speedtests on »[Speed] Report Performance 50/5, Blast 105/10 & Extreme 150/20 Here

Sooo who's lucky enough to have these today? Time to start tracking the rollout!

See also ---> »[Speed] Got A Good Deal, Should I Upgrade to Blast with savings?

»[Speed] Discussion about speed upgrades

»[Speed] Grand Rapids, MI speed upgrade discussion

»[Speed] Who can I talk to about the free upgrade to extreme?

»Heads up Bay Area- Free Speed Upgrades are now LIVE in our area

»Speed upgrades for Internet Only subscribers?

»What will blast users get from the next speed upgrades?

»[Speed] Norcal upgrades

»[Speed] Performance 75 & Blast 150 Discussion

»Chicago land get upgraded?

»[Price] Extreme 150 free for one year?

»[Speed] Anyone Else Running Into An Issue With Extreme 105 Going To 150?
Expand your moderator at work

jblues
join:2001-04-28
Allen Park, MI

jblues to relish

to relish

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 New Tiers Rollout Tracking

Wonder where Michigan / Detroit are stands in the (proposed) rollout, relish?
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish

Well, the wait for DOCSIS 3 took forever because the infrastructure physically wasn't there. Now that it is, I would be surprised if we don't see the upgrades by March!
saintdev
join:2013-11-16

saintdev to relish

to relish
said by relish:

their "Blast" tier from 50 to 105 Mbps

So I still have to pay the $250 activation and sit through a tech install...I mean phone call..to get this, right.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by saintdev:

said by relish:

their "Blast" tier from 50 to 105 Mbps

So I still have to pay the $250 activation and sit through a tech install...I mean phone call..to get this, right.

You shouldn't. When my Blast was upgraded from 25/4 to 50/10, I just had to reset things. (Not to mention get a new router and later, upgraded modem since my WRT54G and the rented modem I was using would only give me 30/11)

Now if you were getting Extreme 105 (Soon to be upgraded to 205, maybe 305)

They would most certainly charge you for a tech visit and if it really is going from 105 to 305, you'd most likely need a new modem, one of the 16x4 models or better, I'd say. (I don't think they'd risk putting all 305 users on 8x4 modems)
saintdev
join:2013-11-16

saintdev

Apologies, I was being sarcastic.

Previously a $250 tech visit was "required", when all they did was make a phone call. Now they're suddenly able to just magically upgrade everyone.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Yes. I missed that. Bit of a day here. I entirely agree with you. To charge 250 to make a phone call when the customer is already hooked up, cable is good, signal is in spec and you already have the modem 8x4 or better is ridiculous.

You also bring up a good point where everyone on Extreme 50 got 105/20 without being charged 250, yet someone doing the same got the charge. (A valid explanation to me was the fact that any E50 users already had their wiring and things checked and if you could do 50/10, you can certainly do 105/20. I still find it ridiculous to charge, though if they had been up set up to start with. Wasn't the extra money per month enough?)

If I were charged 250 to make a phone call and them press a few buttons. I'd fight it tooth and nail. Possibly even downgrade to Performance in protest, especially since we net only users get reamed in price and apparently upgrades according to the announcement today.

And that 250 bogus install fee is precisely why I hadn't upgraded to Extreme before now. Otherwise, I'd be getting set to enjoy 205-305. And especially for the price of 115 a month, I'd call that satisfied.
Shinrin
join:2013-02-28
Gadsden, AL

Shinrin to relish

to relish
I haven't gotten any emails yet. though I may restart the modem when I get home and do a speed test.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

Not seeing it here yet, but we are often in the march upgrade group.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

Not seeing it here yet, but we are often in the march upgrade group.

Yes, I agree. I got mine March 26, 2013 and it got stable May 28, 2013
golfextreme6
join:2014-01-21

golfextreme6 to relish

to relish
Did no one notice that it was the LAST batch of speed increases that completed today? The new speed increases are "in the pipeline" which means they're not going to be here today, but in the near future.
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

relish

said by golfextreme6:

Did no one notice that it was the LAST batch of speed increases that completed today? The new speed increases are "in the pipeline" which means they're not going to be here today, but in the near future.

The speeds might be rolled out to some users today and hopefully many more by the end of March. Whether the last batch of speed increases completed today or not is irrelevant to what's coming soon.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to relish

to relish
I'm on a CDV/Performance bundle here in Clovis, CA. No changes after rebooting the EMTA.
Shinrin
join:2013-02-28
Gadsden, AL

Shinrin to relish

to relish
Just a question, what is the real speed on the black 50/10 tier, since comcast has over provisioned everyone?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Shinrin:

Just a question, what is the real speed on the black 50/10 tier, since comcast has over provisioned everyone?

55/11 is the cap. So if you get 50/10 or better, you're getting what you pay for. I cruise anywhere from 55/11 to 68/11
golfextreme6

golfextreme6 to relish

to relish
Where in the article does it say that it might be rolled out today to anyone? The only mention of the word "today" was noting that they only just today finished the previous upgrades. I'm missing where it said anyone would get the next round of speed increases today.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by golfextreme6:

Where in the article does it say that it might be rolled out today to anyone? The only mention of the word "today" was noting that they only just today finished the previous upgrades. I'm missing where it said anyone would get the next round of speed increases today.

"The speed upgrades should be coming pretty quickly for users, the source stating that new users in many markets will see the upgrades starting today, January 21. A more significant swath of users should then start seeing the latest upgrades sometime in March."
golfextreme6

golfextreme6

said by Chris 313:

said by golfextreme6:

"The speed upgrades should be coming pretty quickly for users, the source stating that new users in many markets will see the upgrades starting today, January 21. A more significant swath of users should then start seeing the latest upgrades sometime in March."

Thanks. I missed that

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by golfextreme6:

said by Chris 313:

said by golfextreme6:

Thanks. I missed that

You're welcome. I often find that if things look off to send a PM to the writer and ask if this is what was truly meant. Usually, I'll get a PM back that says "Whoops!" and the article will be edited with corrections. Refreshing the article a few times in a 30 minute period usually shows edits with corrections and things as well.

We are human, we make typos. ^_^

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

redbeard916 to relish

to relish
let the modem reboots begin... haha

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

And January 21, 2014 was henceforth known as the modem reboot crash heard around the USA.

redbeard916
Folsom, CA

1 recommendation

redbeard916

and its not going to apply to internet only subscribers how lame..

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by redbeard916:

and its not going to apply to internet only subscribers how lame..

I agree. I just hope by March, they have changed their stance, because excluding a group just because they only have net only, smacks of a further money grab, especially since renters have gone up like 3 dollars in the most recent increase. And paying 82-83 a month still isn't cheap.

redbeard916
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

march 21 will also be a known customer complaint day. way to go comcast.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Maybe. It took till May 28 for them to stabilize the 50/10 in my area
GoodOmens
join:2005-07-06
Washington, DC

GoodOmens to relish

to relish
Nothing yet and I live in a competitive area. We were one of the first to get the blast 50meg rollout.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

2 recommendations

Johkal to relish

MVM

to relish
I'll get it started to track the Rollout.

Thanks!
bbscript
join:2004-11-09
Gettysburg, PA

bbscript to relish

to relish
Amit: Bobby, I have cross checked with my manager, boss and my supervisor . As of now there is no such offers, however as soon as this offer comes in the market, you will be the one to get it.

guess this free upgrade is a hoax.

so i guess comcast sales agents are also clueless????
hobbeslover
Premium Member
join:2011-02-20
Newark, NJ

hobbeslover

Premium Member

Front-line tech/sales agents typically don't get wind of this until fairly late in the process. I've found that DSLR typically knows more, as an institution, than front-line CSRs.