·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 edit
reply to Zenit

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

said by Zenit:

So, Comcast is not bumping Performance in the Northeast? So the tiers go from 25mbit Performance, 105mbit Blast, and 175mbit Extreme??????

Well then, Comcast should be OK with cutting our bills in 1/2 then, yes?

Fat Chance. This is Comcast we're talking about here. Though, I would expect them to upgrade Performance next year and be between 75-105. If they left out 2 upgrades for the basic tier in a row, that'd just be plain cold.

Though, you may want to look at this, when thinking about Perf upgrades: »Knoxville, TN According to this, Perf is being upgraded as well to 50/10

St0ry

join:2004-02-16
USA
reply to relish
Saw a comcast van around my neighborhood here on the west coast this week so hopefully west coast speed increases are imminent. Although it's most likely just some guy getting cable installed

mike31US

join:2013-08-15
Auburn, WA
Yup. It's going to massively suck if we don't get the upgrade.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

said by Zenit:

So, Comcast is not bumping Performance in the Northeast? So the tiers go from 25mbit Performance, 105mbit Blast, and 175mbit Extreme??????

Fat Chance. This is Comcast we're talking about here. Though, I would expect them to upgrade Performance next year and be between 75-105. If they left out 2 upgrades for the basic tier in a row, that'd just be plain cold.

Though, you may want to look at this, when thinking about Perf upgrades: »Knoxville, TN According to this, Perf is being upgraded as well to 50/10

I got blast for free due to only getting 36/6 in place of 105/10.

I wish they would upgrade the plant that can't do more than 36/6. I feel really bad for anyone in the area who wanted to get 150/20 just to find out the most they will get is 36/6.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by why60loss:

said by Chris 313:

said by Zenit:

I got blast for free due to only getting 36/6 in place of 105/10.

I wish they would upgrade the plant that can't do more than 36/6. I feel really bad for anyone in the area who wanted to get 150/20 just to find out the most they will get is 36/6.

Great. Cause that really blows. And you have my deepest sympathies. If I were in your area and paying for 150/20 but only getting 36/6, heads would roll and credits would be issued until I got what I was paying for. No way would I spend 115 for 36/6 when I'm supposed to be getting 150/20. (Not to mention, I expect to get 175/25 out of it. If the plant can only do 36/6, that's a far cry from it, ya know)

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to relish
Found something a little strange today. I was sitting around a little bored, so I put my old SB 6120 on to see what I would get.
I have a SB 6141 that I use and I get the new
speeds 105/20.

So I fire up the 6120 and I only get the old BLAST 50/10.
I find it weird that the 6120 didn't get the new boot file. I reset to defaults and rebooted the modem and still only 50/10.

So I guess the upgrade only works with the modem that was online at the time they upgraded me.

So of course I quickly put the 6141 back and get 105/20.

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Chris 313
Got my new AC1200 router. I hooked it up, and I get worse speeds than I did with my draft N router. I tested on my desktop & laptop with similar results. Before I start buying AC adaptors, anyone have any advice. I though N (300) should be able to meet the 105meg.

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···6344.png

Edit: I just dragged the laptop over the the router and plugged in the ethernet. Ran two speed tests, two differnt sites, both 120/23. My wireless just seems hosed no matter the router. All but that Asus. I keep going through the settings to see what I may have set wrong.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 edit
said by clocks11:

Got my new AC1200 router. I hooked it up, and I get worse speeds than I did with my draft N router. I tested on my desktop & laptop with similar results. Before I start buying AC adaptors, anyone have any advice. I though N (300) should be able to meet the 105meg.

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···6344.png

Edit: I just dragged the laptop over the the router and plugged in the ethernet. Ran two speed tests, two differnt sites, both 120/23. My wireless just seems hosed no matter the router. All but that Asus. I keep going through the settings to see what I may have set wrong.

I know this sounds like a stupid question and may be my tiredness showing, but have you taken everything but the modem and one computer out of the loop and tried testing?

EDIT: Well now, you've eliminated one thing and know now that you've got your speed. Time to go find out why your wireless sucks now.

clocks11

You mean bypassing the router? Not sure that's the problem, since I can get 102meg using ethernet to the router.

clocks11

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

EDIT: Well now, you've eliminated one thing and know now that you've got your speed. Time to go find out why your wireless sucks now.

The crazy thing is I could get 57meg when I had blast, with a mediocre N300 router. Then when I went to Extreme, same equipment, I'd get 45-50meg. Now, fancy new AC1200 router, and I can't get 20meg.

I guess the next thing I'll try is buying a AC adaptor for my desktop. But if my laptops and other requirement are going to be limited to 20ish meg(via their internal N wireless), not sure it's worth me paying for the faster speeds.

BTW - Is it better to use auto channel select or pick one? I've tried both, and didn't see a difference.

The other odd thing is I noticed my Roku seem to show up as a wifi network. I unplug them, but it didnt help my speeds.

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to relish
I tried a different route and asked the Executive Care Team for a 34.00 monthly billing credit (the difference between what I currently pay for Extreme 105 and Digital Economy compared with the bill snippet floating around showing Blast+ (at the 105 tier) and Digital Economy). They took 10 days to call me back but finally left me a voicemail stating the bill snippet is a triple-play customer and, since I'm a double play customer, that offer doesn't apply to me. They gave me a $5 credit as a courtesy for my trouble, though. I'm in metro Chicago.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
I'm triple play customer, and still nothing here.
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

Great. Cause that really blows. And you have my deepest sympathies. If I were in your area and paying for 150/20 but only getting 36/6, heads would roll and credits would be issued until I got what I was paying for. No way would I spend 115 for 36/6 when I'm supposed to be getting 150/20. (Not to mention, I expect to get 175/25 out of it. If the plant can only do 36/6, that's a far cry from it, ya know)

Well it's what happens when the only other choice there is 1.5mbs DSL for 40 dollars a month.

The worst part is only the local techs seem to know and phone support has no idea whats going on. It's a mess, I posted in the direct forum some time ago but haven't herd anything yet.

mmccrarynj

join:2006-02-09
Freehold, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to relish
I've read quite a few pages in this thread, but haven't seen any discussion about it, so sorry if this was already asked...

Is there any speculation as to when internet only customers will see the speed increase? I signed up with Comcast quite some time ago with a 2 year contract, and when that ended I discontinued my television service to switch to Dish Network (one of the best decisions I've ever made, btw). I still pay 86 something dollars/month to Comcast for Blast (I'm in the northern suburbs of Atlanta), and my speeds are generally 57/11. I'd get a Double Play to get the speed increase, but I'm locked into Dish for another year and 4 months, so that's not feasible.

iNick
Premium
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to relish
I was told this. Comcast is pleased to announce that we will begin to deploy new XFINITY Internet speeds at no additional charge for our Blast! and Extreme 105 customers in the Northeast Division on April 1, 2014. Blast! speeds will be increased from 50/10 Mbps to 105/10 Mbps. Extreme 105 speeds will be increased from 105/20 Mbps to 150/20 Mbps and will be renamed to “Extreme 150". Customers will receive faster speeds for the same price they are currently paying. However, it is not yet available on your Central market. but I was ordered it by a Comcast Sale department even tho I have Extreme 105 already I was told Extreme 150 is not a free upgrade so when they come on Sunday something better fucking happen,

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to clocks11
It's probably that the 2.4Ghz is being crowded and it's gone into 20Mhz"neighbor friendly mode" The best bandwidth and speed is found when 2.4 is in 40Mhz fat channel mode I've found.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

clocks11

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to iNick

said by iNick:

so when they come on Sunday something better happen

Even if they were giving you the speed bump, a visit wouldn't be necessary unless you have an old modem. I'd be suspicious.

clocks11

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

It's probably that the 2.4Ghz is being crowded and it's gone into 20Mhz"neighbor friendly mode" The best bandwidth and speed is found when 2.4 is in 40Mhz fat channel mode I've found.

I think there is some truth to what you are saying. Prior to today when I was using my older Asus router, I originally was getting slow speeds, until I changed from 20mhz to 20/40 auto.

My new AC1200 router is set on 20/40 auto. The only two options for 2.4 are 20 or 20/40 auto. I wish I could force 40mhz.

I also got a new cell phone today and it came with dual band wifi. I connected via 2.4, and got the same 20meg. I then switched it to 5ghz and got 50meg. Not the 120 I would hope, but not sure what the phone is rated as.

Anyway, I ordered a AC600 wifi adapter to try on my PC. Should be here on Friday. If that doesn't allow me to get >100meg, I'm dropping back down to Blast, and will save the $10/month, as I didn't get the free upgrade.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
It's borderline whether an "AC600" adapter will be enough for a 100mbps connection. AC600 means one 433mbps AC stream and one 150mbps N stream, but those are theoretical numbers.

For example, I have a 3 stream 1300mbps AC link and it usually tops out around 400mbps at a distance of 30ft through a couple of thick walls.

iNick
Premium
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to clocks11
said by clocks11:

said by iNick:

so when they come on Sunday something better happen

Even if they were giving you the speed bump, a visit wouldn't be necessary unless you have an old modem. I'd be suspicious.

I have an TM822G which is more good enough and I better get it or else I'll be asking for a HUGE CREDIT. Since I would be told a LIE.

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mmccrarynj
said by mmccrarynj:

I've read quite a few pages in this thread, but haven't seen any discussion about it, so sorry if this was already asked...

Is there any speculation as to when internet only customers will see the speed increase? I signed up with Comcast quite some time ago with a 2 year contract, and when that ended I discontinued my television service to switch to Dish Network (one of the best decisions I've ever made, btw). I still pay 86 something dollars/month to Comcast for Blast (I'm in the northern suburbs of Atlanta), and my speeds are generally 57/11. I'd get a Double Play to get the speed increase, but I'm locked into Dish for another year and 4 months, so that's not feasible.

I would like to know that too and what about Performance being upgraded to 50/10 since Blast is being upgraded to 105/20. It would be nice when this upgrade happens in California (and other western states)

iNick
Premium
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Madtown:

said by mmccrarynj:

I would like to know that too and what about Performance being upgraded to 50/10 since Blast is being upgraded to 105/20. It would be nice when this upgrade happens in California (and other western states)

Blast is staying at 10Mb/s Upload so Performance probably will go to 50Mb/s Down & 6Mb/s Upload and Performance Starter will go to 12Mb/s I hope maybe 24Mb/s

FAUguy

join:2014-01-22
reply to clocks11
»www.engeniustech.com/consumer/Di···71_m330/

I have the ESR1200 router (was sent as a free review unit from Newegg). My PC (wired) gets up to 125Mbps on the new 105 tier. When using the 5GHz AC wireless with a smartphone, I'm also getting the same 105-125 speed. You might want to make sure both the router and wireless device support AC. Also, some wireless devices (even though they are AC compatible) have limited speeds (under 80Mbps) do to their modem chipset.

BiGdUsTy

join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL
Reviews:
·Knology

1 recommendation

reply to relish
Finally got the upgrade to 105/10

clocks11

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Tobin
said by Tobin:

It's borderline whether an "AC600" adapter will be enough for a 100mbps connection. AC600 means one 433mbps AC stream and one 150mbps N stream, but those are theoretical numbers.

I thought throughput is about 1/2? Even it is is only 1/4, I should be able to hit over 100meg on it.

Is everyone that's posting their high test results using a wired connection, or do they just happen to have highend AC1750 equipment? I would have guessed most of them have N300 stuff.

chowbelly

@comcast.net
reply to BiGdUsTy
BiGdUsTy - The distance from Panama City to Tallahassee is 5900 miles? Florida has gotten bigger since last time I was there.

Coelispex

join:2013-06-03
Wilmette, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by chowbelly :

BiGdUsTy - The distance from Panama City to Tallahassee is 5900 miles? Florida has gotten bigger since last time I was there.

IPv6 speedtest seems to throw the geolocation off everytime

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to clocks11
I get high results on the 5ghz band, and much less on the 2.4 ghz band. I got roughly 105/11 this morning on 5 ghz.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to clocks11
I read all about it here »www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···z-part-1 which gives better examples and explanations. Personally I wish I could force 40Mz too.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

clocks11

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to owlyn
said by owlyn:

I got roughly 105/11 this morning on 5 ghz

N or AC? If AC, which version? (1200, 1750, etc)