to Papageno

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

Or people in Chicago like me
yuppicide
join:2009-06-01
Pahoa, HI

yuppicide to relish

to relish
I am in New Jersey. I'm down in a town primarily made up of old retired senior citizens. I had 50Mbps and got upgraded to 105Mbps free of charge. They won't just upgrade you as far as I can see. I just happened to be on Comcast website for support and while I was waiting for someone I browsed the services and boom there it was. I asked and they upgraded me. Within about 20 minutes or so the change happened.

I don't know they have such crappy upload speeds. I was getting about 120Mbps down and 11Mbps up. They advertise 105/11.

But a night or two ago they had a service outage that affected me for maybe an hour, even though they said it could last until 11PM. They called me the next day to tell me service has been restored, even though I had a long time ago.

The problem now is I only get about 95Mbps down.. fine.. but I'm getting less than 1Mbps up.
Madj4ck
join:2014-07-07
Pittsburg, CA

Madj4ck

Similar problem here: getting 57 down but only 2.5 up. I was getting 57/11 before.
maddog707
join:2009-08-21
Fairfield, CA

1 recommendation

maddog707 to relish

to relish
I wonder if the people with the Extreme tier is getting notices on their bill because Extreme isn't 1 of the 2 popular tiers that's described in the commercial & those speeds aren't doubling because if they were extreme would be 205 instead of 150. I think everyone's speed in Nor Cal will be increasing on the 30th weather you get a notice or not.

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

Maddog your most likely correct about that
z1method
join:2008-09-19
Clinton Township, MI

z1method to relish

to relish
My upload speed got upgraded but download speed is trying to do something idk.

I'm in Clinton Township, Mi

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 3724.png

Desii
join:2014-02-25
Yuba City, CA

Desii to maddog707

to maddog707
I agree. There's more proof that the speeds will increase rather than not. Now I believe only the Blast! and Extreme tiers will get the upgrade because the northeast got the upgrade first and their performance speeds are still 25/5. Their Blast! And Extreme speeds are 105/150 respectively. Also a user posted a screenshot few pages back from San Francisco that showed performance being 25 Blast! 105 and Extreme 150. On the comcast commercials showing the "2" most popular tiers being upgraded, I strongly believe it will be Blast! And Extreme only.
St0ry
join:2004-02-16
USA

St0ry to relish

to relish
There's no doubt that speed increases will happen. When I called back in May after my contract was up to try and get a better price one of the main things they emphasized while trying to get me not to cancel was that the speeds will increase.

The question is just when.
Space Ace
join:2004-10-14
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Space Ace to maddog707

to maddog707
Maddog707, I think your statement makes the most sense.
maddog707
join:2009-08-21
Fairfield, CA

maddog707 to relish

to relish
I meant to say Extreme would go from 105 to 210 if doubled. My bad

redbeard916
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

my question is, if some are seeing it on there bill for the 30th and all places in norcal are getting the bump. what makes me think i should be getting it, although a good source said i should be seeing it to.. ahhh
satsun
join:2004-02-12
Murfreesboro, TN

satsun to z1method

to z1method
said by z1method:

My upload speed got upgraded but download speed is trying to do something idk.

I'm in Clinton Township, Mi

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 3724.png

Your router may be limiting you. If you have an old 100 Mbps router, that's likely your problem. Connect a computer directly to the cable modem and then run the speed test again. My old Linksys WRT54G router was limited to about 65 Mbps.
ERIC8585
join:2012-02-03
Pleasant Hill, CA

1 edit

ERIC8585 to Desii

to Desii
Extreme isn't popular and isn't being doubled.

Desii
Yuba City, CA

Desii

said by ERIC8585:

Extreme isn't popular and isn't being doubled.

Well Extreme IS one of the tiers being upgraded and I never said it was being doubled...

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

2 recommendations

RR Conductor to ERIC8585

Premium Member

to ERIC8585
said by ERIC8585:

Extreme isn't popular

Considering the price, no wonder. We're paying almost 70 a month for Blast, and that seems like an awful lot to me. I got Comcast to drop our monthly fee from 76 to 66 for a year, but even then, we sure do pay a lot here in the US for service. If you do like us, and use Direct for your tv service they penalize you, I wish they did like Adelphia did here and charge the same for HSI regardless of whether you had their tv or not.
z1method
join:2008-09-19
Clinton Township, MI

z1method to satsun

to satsun
I have the linksys e4200
z1method

z1method to relish

to relish
Upgraded router firmware on my linksys e4200 and now im getting the right speeds

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 0684.png

Clinton Twp, Mi

spike010101
Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Austin, TX

spike010101 to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Nothing about speed tier changes on my new bill here in Western Washington State. However I am annoyed about AMC HD being switched from the east coast feed to west coast. Now I will have to wait until 9pm to watch the walking dead instead of only 6pm. :-(

Effective 7/15/14, the following channels will change the
programming feed from the East coast to the West coast: A&E
HD (ch. 670), HGTV HD (ch. 674), Food HD (ch. 675), AMC HD
(ch. 697), Animal Planet HD (ch. 667), History HD (ch. 671),
BET HD (ch. 689), CMT HD (ch. 686), FXX HD (ch. 618) and
FXX (ch. 401). Please note this change will affect DVR
recordings and parental control settings. Please make sure you
reset your DVR recordings for any of the impacted channels
above.

ERIC8585
Pleasant Hill, CA

ERIC8585

DVR

Anno
@68.62.236.x

Anno to spike010101

Anon

to spike010101
said by spike010101:

Nothing about speed tier changes on my new bill here in Western Washington State. However I am annoyed about AMC HD being switched from the east coast feed to west coast. Now I will have to wait until 9pm to watch the walking dead instead of only 6pm. :-(

Effective 7/15/14, the following channels will change the
programming feed from the East coast to the West coast: A&E
HD (ch. 670), HGTV HD (ch. 674), Food HD (ch. 675), AMC HD
(ch. 697), Animal Planet HD (ch. 667), History HD (ch. 671),
BET HD (ch. 689), CMT HD (ch. 686), FXX HD (ch. 618) and
FXX (ch. 401). Please note this change will affect DVR
recordings and parental control settings. Please make sure you
reset your DVR recordings for any of the impacted channels
above.

Awesome, more of a chance for issues for those paying TV customers as now the feed has to pipe across the country to get to you.

But yea, I have yet to see anything on my bills either.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by Anno :

more of a chance for issues for those paying TV customers as now the feed has to pipe across the country to get to you.

Not really. Both feeds may even be received by Comcast from the same satellite.

drrocky
@50.150.69.x

drrocky

Anon

I have gotten a new bill, in Oakland, Ca. Nothing at all about speed upgrades.

:-((
Ken S
join:2012-01-26
Burlingame, CA

Ken S to relish

to relish
Got my bill - shows the notice of Extreme 105 becoming 150 on the 30th as well.
EGANorCal
join:2004-03-27
Fair Oaks, CA

EGANorCal

How exactly is it worded? With no mention of Blast going to 105, I'm wondering if Blast is not mentoned because it's still being called Blast and Extreme 105 is menioned because it's changing name to Extreme 150? Also, what speed do you currently have?
ERIC8585
Pleasant Hill, CA

ERIC8585

Look on page 64

mcgroarty
@24.10.32.x

mcgroarty to Ken S

Anon

to Ken S
said by Ken S:

Got my bill - shows the notice of Extreme 105 becoming 150 on the 30th as well.

I currently have Extreme 105. In Chico, CA (Sacramento, CA area) the most recent bill says:
"Important Account Information
Effective 7/30/14, XFINITY Internet Extreme 105 service will be changed to Extreme 150 with download speeds up to 150 Mbps."

I called Comcast to request details about other plans and whether upstream speeds would change. They had no information on either. The first rep even tried to convince me that I would pay a $249 fee if I accept this offer, which the second rep was quick to correct. On the whole, first tier reps seem to have no idea what's going on. But that's par for Comcast.
Peter8816
join:2014-07-15
Oakland, CA

Peter8816 to drrocky

to drrocky
I'm in Oakland as well. I've inquired about the speed doubling but nobody at Comcast seems to know diddly squat. Glad to see others in the Bay Area are getting the notice from 105 to 150.

For those who do get those notices, are you currently on the 105 already? A bit concerned no posts from Blast! users being upped to the next tier.

redbeard916
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

blast and performance are the most popular tiers.. there getting upgraded, that it all
daniloni
join:2014-05-22
Oakland, CA

daniloni to relish

to relish
I think my current Comcast nightmare is related enough to the free speed increase to share. I'm in Oakland, CA. I was an internet only customer on Blast (50). When I saw that the Premier Triple Play bundle in Oakland advertised Extreme 105 as part of the bundle, I decided to sign up (reasoning that I could downgrade my DirecTV, get rid of my AT&T phone service, double my internet speed, and have both DirecTV and Comcast TV service for the same price as I was currently paying). I did not order the Comcast Triple Play online because there was no way to account for the fact that I had my own DVR (Tivo) and wanted to install my own EMTA modem rather than rent a Comcast gateway. So I called Comcast and ordered the Triple Play package. The CSR repeated that I was getting HD Premier which included Extreme 105. The Comcast installer came yesterday (Monday 7/15). He was unable to convert my existing phone jacks to work with CDV. He did get my owned EMTA modem authorized. When he left I ran a speed test and saw that I was still getting blast speeds. I called tech support and they said that my account showed that I should be getting blast as part of the bundle. I was referred to the "loyalty" department. The woman in loyalty insisted that only Blast 50 was part of the bundle being offered. She essentially called me a liar when I told her that I was looking at comcast.com as I spoke to her and that Extreme 105 was shown as part of the package. She said that she was familiar with all bundles offered and that Extreme was not offered on any of them. She declined my offer to email her a screen shot. I was becoming agitated and asked to speak to a manager. She said that she was a manager. I was put on hold and finally, without her admitting I was right, she said that she would add Extreme 105 to my account for 12 months (making it as if she was doing me some kind of favor). I asked if I had to reset the modem, etc. to get the Extreme speeds. She said yes. I reset the modem. I was still getting Blast speeds. I called tech support again. I gave them the above recounting of facts. They said that the prior CSR had not, in fact, added Extreme 105, but that they would add it for me. I was put on hold and then was without warning forwarded to the loyalty department again. The new CSR actually tried to work with me and gave me his email address for a screen shot. He said that he saw I was entitled to Extreme for 12 months, but he was unable to add it to my account. So he created a problem ticket and told me to call back with my ticket number in 72 hours (this upcoming Thursday). In the meantime, after this last call, I noticed that I got a confirmation email of my "order" yesterday and that this confirmation email listed the internet speed in the bundle as "Blast." So I'm not expecting smooth sailing for when I call on Thursday. (Additionally, they gave me a new phone number rather than porting my AT&T number and gave me a Comcast DVR rather than hook up my own DVR with a cable card -- the tech did not have a cable card on him.) Coincidentally, this was the same day that Comcast was being butchered in social media for they guy who was unable to cancel his service.

Desii
Yuba City, CA

Desii

What I do is not let the tech leave until I can do a speed test in front of him