Search similar:

uniqs
Papageno
join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

Papageno to Strykur

to Strykur

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

So what's your cable modem, Strykur? And I didn't know the RT-N66U router (I have that one) supported wireless AC.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Papageno:

So what's your cable modem, Strykur? And I didn't know the RT-N66U router (I have that one) supported wireless AC.

The Asus RT-N66U doesn't do AC. It's Wireless N only. (I have one.) But it does do 2.4 and 5 Wireless N.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to goldengate1

Premium Member

to goldengate1
said by goldengate1:

...So what were we all so impatient for?!?!?

I'm thinking that unless your household has multiple internet users or you have a special need to reach the bandwidth cap more quickly, 50mbps will be the fastest tier that doesn't fall victim to diminishing returns.

I'm currently on 25mbps Performance, and I could see where 50mbps would be more useful at times. But 105mbps? I don't see it at the moment.

Of course, as more and more devices in my house start to report my every activity to market research big-data collectors, then maybe the 5 or 10mbps upstream speed will need to be boosted.
Papageno
Portland, OR

Papageno to Chris 313

to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

said by Papageno:

The Asus RT-N66U doesn't do AC. It's Wireless N only. (I have one.) But it does do 2.4 and 5 Wireless N.

That's why what Strykur wrote struck me as strange, unless he's got an AC-capable router he didn't tell us about as well as the RT-N66U he named.
Strykur
join:2009-08-11
San Francisco, CA

Strykur

What I meant was that the laptop I was using to connect to the router has AC wireless, and on it I get full throughput in the Xfinity speed test.

HOWEVER, I have another laptop with just N wireless, and only get about 60-70Mbps downstream in the Xfinity speed test, despite both laptops connecting wirelessly at 300Mbps. So I have an odd scenario where I have an N router, but only get full throughput when connecting to it with AC. I should have clarified. But what I am not sure however is if this is difference is due to AC using the 5GHz band versus 2.4Ghz for the N, or if the chipset in AC is that much faster.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Isnt Wifi just a picky technology? Some adapters pair better with a router than others.

I have largely given up on Wifi for performance even though I have a nice RT-N66U like you do. Gigabit Ethernet is fantastic.

Fortunately the devices I have that need to be on Wifi have good wifi performance - the Apple TV works great on the 5ghz band.

My ThinkPad has Intel Wireless N 2200 which does not play nice at all with the Asus router.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 edit

camper

Premium Member

said by Zenit_IIfx:

Isnt Wifi just a picky technology? Some adapters pair better with a router than others.

In some respects, yes. In some respects, no.

In a fairly static environment, I've found WiFi to be fairly robust.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of WiFi (i.e., used by portable devices, neighbors turning access point on and off), the environment is rarely static.

Around my house, there are usually three neighborhood access points that are on all the time, with about 6 or seven more that appear on occasion for varying amounts of time and on varying channels. When I see my speeds going lower than normal, I check with inSSIDer and see that one of my neighbors has turned on an access point on the same channel as mine. Those types of things make it difficult to establish a static environment.

To your point, I have a Dell notebook that would not connect at all with my HP Procurve Access Point. All the other devices had no problems connecting. The Dell notebook refused. HP was kind enough to swap out the AP for an enterprise-level one, and the Dell magically worked fine, as did everything else.

So yeah, WiFi still has quirks.....

(edit: clarify that the three access points are in the neighborhood, not my house)
luckmann
join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM

luckmann to camper

to camper
said by camper:

I'm thinking that unless your household has multiple internet users or you have a special need to reach the bandwidth cap more quickly, 50mbps will be the fastest tier that doesn't fall victim to diminishing returns.

For some of us it is just bragging rights... Though with two teenagers at home and a large network (32 devices connected both wired and wireless), the extra bandwidth would be nice. Also for those of us that download multiple large files it is really handy. I am a sociologist and some of the data sets I work with are several gig... Having that extra bandwidth is nice, 50 is good but I sure would like 105. Though I do agree with others about the upload side. I have a couple websites I maintain and uploading large amounts of data with the current upload does take a while. Still waiting for the upgrade but I am sure it will come sooner or later and then I will know for sure the difference.
Expand your moderator at work

HeadButt
@50.152.167.x

HeadButt to relish

Anon

to relish

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

I live in California and have extreme 105. I got an email from comcast saying they've upgraded me to 150 Mbps. After rebooting my modem I'm getting 173 Mbps down and 23 Mbps up!

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 7304.png

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

3 edits

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by HeadButt :

I live in California and have extreme 105. I got an email from comcast saying they've upgraded me to 150 Mbps. After rebooting my modem I'm getting 173 Mbps down and 23 Mbps up!

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 7304.png

Where in CA? It would help to know so it can be added to the list here-

»[Speed] Report Performance 50/5, Blast 105/10 & Extreme 150/20 Here

I see you have a 50.xx.xx.xx IP too, the same as mine, I'm up in Redwood Valley in Mendocino County, Blast and Extreme got the speed bump up here too.

50.131.72.xxx That's mine We are off of the Ukiah CMTS.
Papageno
Portland, OR

Papageno to Strykur

to Strykur
said by Strykur:

What I meant was that the laptop I was using to connect to the router has AC wireless, and on it I get full throughput in the Xfinity speed test.

HOWEVER, I have another laptop with just N wireless, and only get about 60-70Mbps downstream in the Xfinity speed test, despite both laptops connecting wirelessly at 300Mbps. So I have an odd scenario where I have an N router, but only get full throughput when connecting to it with AC. I should have clarified. But what I am not sure however is if this is difference is due to AC using the 5GHz band versus 2.4Ghz for the N, or if the chipset in AC is that much faster.

Huh, interesting. So this happens with the AC wireless laptop but in conjunction with an N only router (albeit with a dual-band one). Clearly it's not the "AC" part of the equation that's making the difference though, since that would be impossible. The AC-capable network hardware of your laptop (which obviously must support N) is just faster somehow (at least in the 5 GHz range).
medalcue
join:2014-03-28
Edmonton, AB

medalcue to relish

to relish
Im in Livermore California. Every agent I talk to seems to have no idea what im talking about. Is it available here?

Raineer
@69.243.242.x

Raineer to HeadButt

Anon

to HeadButt
Apparently I got the upgrade in KC Missouri just this morning. I had no prior knowledge of this.

I run a script that performs a speedtest every 2 hours and records the result. I've been steady at 57/10 for over a year. I had to replace a breaker in my home (cycling the modem), and all the sudden I have 90/10.

Nice!
medalcue
Edmonton, AB

medalcue to relish

to relish
Seems I got an old modem since 2005. I guess thats why I didnt receive the upgrade

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to Raineer

Premium Member

to Raineer
you should upgrade your router or modem or Ports on PC to get the full 120/10 speed

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to medalcue

to medalcue
said by medalcue:

Seems I got an old modem since 2005. I guess thats why I didnt receive the upgrade

which modem? if it's from 2005, then it's probably DOCSIS 2.0, and probably wouldn't support any of these recent speed upgrades.
satsun
join:2004-02-12
Murfreesboro, TN

satsun to medalcue

to medalcue
said by medalcue:

They will still upgrade you, but you just won't get full speed if your modem can't handle it. Gotta get a newer modem.

My in-laws have an old Arris DOCSIS 2.0 telephony modem that they probably rent from Comcast. Their speed test hits 30/10 so I suspect that they were upgraded to 50/10 during the last round of upgrades but they don't know any better so they haven't gone to Comcast to get a DOCSIS 3 modem. (Our schedules don't work out so it's difficult for me to assist them with the replacement.)
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to Raineer

Premium Member

to Raineer
said by Raineer :

Apparently I got the upgrade in KC Missouri just this morning. I had no prior knowledge of this.

I run a script that performs a speedtest every 2 hours and records the result. I've been steady at 57/10 for over a year. I had to replace a breaker in my home (cycling the modem), and all the sudden I have 90/10.

Nice!

Direct Modem or WiFi?
medalcue
Edmonton, AB

medalcue to train_wreck

to train_wreck
Its a Scientific Atlanta. I think im going to buy my own. Any suggestions on what to get?
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

videomatic3 to medalcue

to medalcue
said by medalcue:

Im in Livermore California. Every agent I talk to seems to have no idea what im talking about. Is it available here?

»[Speed] Livermore, CA
Papageno
Portland, OR

Papageno to medalcue

to medalcue
said by medalcue:

Its a Scientific Atlanta. I think im going to buy my own. Any suggestions on what to get?

I haven't researched cable modems in a while, but the Motorola Surfboard ones seemed to be recommended a couple of years ago (I've got the 6120 but there are newer models now that support more recent tech).

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

1 recommendation

Coelispex to medalcue

to medalcue
said by medalcue:

SB6141

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· AJHDZSI/

or

Zoom 5341J

»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· 063K4NN6

n0xlf
join:2001-03-28
Castle Rock, CO

n0xlf

SB6183

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· s=sb6183
mikemacman
join:2004-05-29
Saint Paul, MN

mikemacman

said by n0xlf:

SB6183

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-Su···s=sb6183

This is a newer and faster (16 bonded channels) SurfBoard modem, but it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.
"Usually ships within 3 to 6 weeks."

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by mikemacman:

This is a newer and faster (16 bonded channels) SurfBoard modem, but it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.
"Usually ships within 3 to 6 weeks."

Yeah, there's another, separate thread about it: »[Equip] sb6183

BTW - ARRIS is coming out with a 16x4 eMTA also: »[Equip] Arris TM1602 Voice Modem - 16x4 upgradable to 24x8

MTBikerChris
Premium Member
join:2001-08-28
Erie, CO

MTBikerChris to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Any news on when Denver will see it ?
Cabby
join:2013-03-25

Cabby to relish

to relish
Received a letter indicating I could double my speed to 105Mb at no additional cost as long as I sign a two year committment... sound normal?
Papageno
Portland, OR

Papageno to relish

to relish
Data point: in Portland OR, on my bill due last week (8/14) there was zero mention of the speed increase.