MTBikerChris
Premium Member
join:2001-08-28
Erie, CO

MTBikerChris to Papageno

Premium Member

to Papageno

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

OR and Colorado are on the same feed so lets hope we are due soon ! When x1 was launched we got it the same time and at that time the rep said we are the same upgrade !

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 edit

RR Conductor to Papageno

Premium Member

to Papageno
said by Papageno:

Data point: in Portland OR, on my bill due last week (8/14) there was zero mention of the speed increase.

I wouldn't go by that, we usually never see any notes about speed upgrades on our bill up here in Mendocino County, or any emails or texts, they just show up.
av9116
join:2001-12-17
San Francisco, CA

av9116

I got an email from Comcast stating the speed bump

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by av9116:

I got an email from Comcast stating the speed bump

We didn't for this one, or at least we haven't yet. We got the upgrade on the 31st like the rest of CA. Our Blast speeds went from 55/12 to 120/12. Every so often we'll get a notification about things like this, or a bill notice, but usually not.

I do remember a while back they notified us of an upgrade, only to find out that it wasn't available in Mendocino County (I'm in Redwood Valley, halfway between Ukiah and Willits), they had sent it out in error, and the upgrade didn't actually show up for several more months.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to GotNoRice

MVM

to GotNoRice
said by GotNoRice:

Has anyone been able to confirm yet if/when this is something that will apply to Business customers also?

Did you ever find out? I might try to call today if I have time.

GotNoRice
Internet Cynic
join:2001-12-04
Lakeport, CA

GotNoRice

said by pflog:

I called in, and the person I talked to was essentially clueless about any possible speed upgrades. I mostly gave up and just assumed it's something we (business users) will get in a year if we are lucky. Let us know if you find out any different.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by GotNoRice:

said by pflog:

I called in, and the person I talked to was essentially clueless about any possible speed upgrades. I mostly gave up and just assumed it's something we (business users) will get in a year if we are lucky. Let us know if you find out any different.

Ah so same old, same old. Business customers will get it a year later if we're lucky. Heh.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

Don't feel bad, it's now looking like the Performance customers in the Northeast won't be getting any speed upgrade.

Probably should call the tier sub-Performance now...

FarmerBob
join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Calix 716GE-I
Netgear Orbi RBK853
Netgear RAXE500

1 edit

FarmerBob to Madtown

to Madtown
Said by: Madtown:
I have the latest firmware on my router. How is your router configured?
And the Cow goes:
For Netgear equipment, you need to run a third party firmware like DD-WRT. Netgear's firmware is junk. Their hardware is great though and DD-WRT really opens up the options and performance. You might give it a try.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by FarmerBob:

And the Cow goes:
For Netgear equipment, you need to run a third party firmware like DD-WRT. Netgear's firmware is junk. Their hardware is great though and DD-WRT really opens up the options and performance. You might give it a try.

Do I need to connect to the router with ethernet cable to set it up or can I set it up over WiFi? Is there any risks to my router if I try DD-WRT?

Desii
join:2014-02-25
Yuba City, CA

Desii to relish

to relish
Here in Yuba City, CA internet went down last night and woke up to a 4th upstream channel rated at 16 Qam and slightly different DS frequencies. We all got the upgrade July 30th and today it seems to have stabilized. Before I used speedtest anywhere between 70-119 Mbps and 119 being the absolute max. Today it's a constant 121.2 Mbps! (Subbed to Blast!)
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Netgear WNDR3700 v3
Router details

Additional information
Chipset BCM4718A

DD-WRT Wiki: Netgear WNDR3700
DD-WRT Forum: Revert to stock firmware
DD-WRT Wiki: Build variations
Other downloads

RAM 64 MB
FLASH 8 MB

Supported by
Description Filename Date Size
WNDR3700 v3 Firmware - Webflash image for first installation dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3700v3.chk 2013-04-23 3,38 MB
K26 NV64 mega dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k.bin 2013-04-22 7,51 MB
K26 NV64 mini dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-nv64k.bin 2013-04-22 3,38 MB

Do download all 3 of them or what one do I download?

FarmerBob
join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Calix 716GE-I
Netgear Orbi RBK853
Netgear RAXE500

FarmerBob to Madtown

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

said by FarmerBob:

And the Cow goes:

Do I need to connect to the router with ethernet cable to set it up or can I set it up over WiFi? Is there any risks to my router if I try DD-WRT?

Yes. With any thing such as a firmware update you should always use a hard connection.

DD-WRT:
Start here:
»www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/vi ··· ?t=51486
The Broadcom Forum:
»www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/vi ··· 0ca431b0
And the R7000 areas can be found throughout the above.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to relish

Premium Member

to relish
I just call CS and asked them about the free upgrade here in WA. he said that they was not as yet and did not know when they will. He said that Comcast did not think there was competition for them to double the speed.
He did upgrade to the 105 trier for free with no install charges or connection charges. I'll find next month if that is true. This is good for a year. Has any one else got this set up?
Sorry can not remember how to post a normal screen shot of the speed

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 7704.png

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

I had heard from 2 techs and a CSR that Washington would have the upgrade this month.
Ran into a Comcast Tech at staples yesterday and he said pretty much what you were told. No competition in our area so no upgrade.
Don't know who to believe, but one thing for sure, there is no competition where I live, I couldn't even get DSL if I wanted it.
Think I will call the service center on the west side and see what they say.
mike31US
join:2013-08-15
Orting, WA

mike31US to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
Hi Caddy - Where in WA are you that they gave you that upgrade free? I wrote to a West coast CS exec around a month ago and pretty much begged and was shot down for a free upgrade. (I'm on HD premier Triple play package)

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Just had a conversation with a nice CSR.
She said only curtain areas are getting the free update and so far Washington is not one of them.
She is not privy to the information when or even if we will get it.
They do give out promos for the 105 for one year, but after that it's $40.00 a month more.
They get many calls a day just to inquire about the free update to 105.
When I asked about the competition thing, she said they hadn't heard anything about that.
Guess we will just have to wait and see.

netloss
@71.234.192.x

1 recommendation

netloss to relish

Anon

to relish
comcrap's tiers make no sense. you either get 25/5 mbits or 100/10. such a huge gap..

should be something like..

performance 25/5
performance plus 50/10 for $5
blast 100/15 for $10

the people that design the plans should be canned.
ERIC8585
join:2012-02-03
Pleasant Hill, CA

ERIC8585

? Performance is 50/5
Blast is 100/10
Extreme is 150/20
ERIC8585

ERIC8585 to relish

to relish
Click for full size

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Performance here is 28/5 still, I reset my modem not long ago.

I am still looking for reports of that mythical 50/5 upgrade for free. Comcast offered it for an extra $10 and I declined with the goal of reducing the bill.
mike31US
join:2013-08-15
Orting, WA

mike31US to ERIC8585

to ERIC8585
said by ERIC8585:

? Performance is 50/5
Blast is 100/10
Extreme is 150/20

Not for all of us. Blast here in WA is still 50/10.
ERIC8585
join:2012-02-03
Pleasant Hill, CA

ERIC8585

oh
jagged
join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

jagged to Desii

to Desii
curious, what's your upload speed?
vandergraff2
join:2005-10-17

vandergraff2 to mike31US

to mike31US
said by mike31US:

said by ERIC8585:

? Performance is 50/5
Blast is 100/10
Extreme is 150/20

Not for all of us. Blast here in WA is still 50/10.

and Santa Cruz County, CA is still

16/2 Performance
25/4 Blast
No tiers available above Blast......
JJV
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

JJV to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Im in Seatac WA. I called and was upgraded to 100 meg for 1 year free. They wanted to charge me 35.00 for a professional install. I told the rep that I would be on vacation for the next 2 weeks and asked her to push the upgrade with no tech visit. She agreed. Im a little shy of 100 megs but I cant complain.
dutchtender
join:2010-11-21
Sunnyvale, CA

dutchtender to relish

to relish
I was on performance starter. painfully slow. So I called comcast and talked about upgrades. I worked with a nice guy who was really trying to get me into the new HBO package. He told me that the next tier up from where I was just got upgraded from 25mb down to 50mb down. He was adamant that I would get this.

I also needlessly went out and got a docsis 3 modem in anticipation of 50mb down speeds. So I upgraded to the next tier up for an additional $20 a month, now paying around $70, thinking I would be getting 50m down as promised.

the upshot is I just checked and not only am I not getting 50mb down, I am not even getting 25mb down. I am getting 18m down and 2.4m up. that's with a direct connection into the docsis 3 modem. bait and switch at it's finest.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by dutchtender:

the upshot is I just checked and not only am I not getting 50mb down, I am not even getting 25mb down. I am getting 18m down and 2.4m up. that's with a direct connection into the docsis 3 modem. bait and switch at it's finest.

But don't worry. I'm sure the rep you worked with got the credit for upselling you to a package that Comcast does not seem to be able to deliver.

And that is probably all that rep was concerned about. The upsell. Doesn't matter if the customer is satisfied or not. The rep gets his credit for the upsell.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman to MTBikerChris

MVM

to MTBikerChris
The speed upgrade will be nice, but kinda pointless since I already have the 105 package, and I really want more upload, not just more download.

Also, business class already has access to the 150/20 package... for $200/month, but no caps.

I've already ordered a SB6183 to replace my aging SB6120 modem from 2008.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

1 edit

Tobin to ERIC8585

to ERIC8585
Looks like they bumped the over-provisioning on Extreme 150 to 180/24ish when it was 173/23ish a couple days ago.