Search similar:

uniqs
mountainman9
join:2013-03-28
Broomfield, CO

mountainman9 to swilliams

to swilliams

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

Yeah, I'm in the Westminster/Arvada area and my bill does not say anything about the upgrade either.

swilliams
join:1999-09-07
Littleton, CO

swilliams

said by mountainman9:

Yeah, I'm in the Westminster/Arvada area and my bill does not say anything about the upgrade either.

What's the date on your bill?

I'm wondering if bills created after a certain date now have the upgrade on it, or maybe the upgrade will only be in certain areas (I hope not!) or with greater than Internet only packages.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

1 recommendation

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Just got my bill, dated 12/08/14 and it says that my 105 will be going to 150 on 12/16/14.
My 105 is on that free 1 year promo so I will have the 150 for 8 more months. If I want to keep it, my bill would go up $40.00 per month.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Congrats! Hope your gear will keep up
mountainman9
join:2013-03-28
Broomfield, CO

mountainman9 to swilliams

to swilliams
said by swilliams:

I'm wondering if bills created after a certain date now have the upgrade on it, or maybe the upgrade will only be in certain areas (I hope not!) or with greater than Internet only packages.

Yeah, my bill is dated 12/1/14 so it could be only on later bills. I'm on HD XD Premier Triple Play so should definitely get it unless they are only doing specific areas.

n9ne
@174.61.169.x

2 recommendations

n9ne to JJ Johnson

Anon

to JJ Johnson
said by JJ Johnson:

Unless you're downloading 100s of GB at a time, there's very little practical difference. And Comcast knows this, which is why they have no problem rolling out successively faster speeds and using it in their marketing. Because only a fraction of their users will use any of that additional bandwidth. Like you say ... bragging rights.

It's extremely useful when sharing a connection, such as with family members or roommates.
Antipex
join:2007-02-01
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

Antipex to JJ Johnson

to JJ Johnson
said by JJ Johnson:

Unless you're downloading 100s of GB at a time, there's very little practical difference. And Comcast knows this, which is why they have no problem rolling out successively faster speeds and using it in their marketing. Because only a fraction of their users will use any of that additional bandwidth. Like you say ... bragging rights.

Er... it's also great for someone like me (a software engineer) who frequently needs to download large files (or anything at all on a regular basis) relatively quickly. 50Mb to 105Mb could mean a download takes 15-30 minutes less time.

I also feel like the "Well, nobody needs fast Internet!" argument is a direct result of careful marketing and wording press releases from the companies providing broadband. It is, after all, in their own best interest to invest as little as possible in their infrastructure to extract maximum profits. Comcast and others are thankfully seeing pressure now from impending Google Fiber rollouts, so hopefully the broadband landscape will improve dramatically in the next year or two.

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO

1 recommendation

JJ Johnson to n9ne

Premium Member

to n9ne
said by n9ne :

It's extremely useful when sharing a connection, such as with family members or roommates.

And one or more of them are downloading 100s of GBs of ... whatever. Four people watching streaming movies at 5 Mbps don't need a 150 Mbps connection.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman to swilliams

MVM

to swilliams
said by swilliams:

said by mountainman9:

My date is 12/4. Did you get a paper bill or the PDF on their website? I get the PDF on the website and have paperless setup.

EDIT - I also only have the extreme internet, no TV, no phone.

swilliams
join:1999-09-07
Littleton, CO

swilliams

said by Cjaiceman:

said by swilliams:

said by mountainman9:

My date is 12/4. Did you get a paper bill or the PDF on their website? I get the PDF on the website and have paperless setup.

EDIT - I also only have the extreme internet, no TV, no phone.

The one online and the paper one I was mailed are the same so neither says anything about any upgrade for me.

spike010101
Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Austin, TX

spike010101 to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
Waiting on the pdf version of my next bill to show up online then I'll check if it shows up for me here in Olympia.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to clocks11

Premium Member

to clocks11
said by clocks11:

said by iNick:

that's was a different upgrade that wasn't apart of this. Sorry I know I'm mad we're still waiting but it's ok I can wait and wait.

Different how? He went from blast 50 to blast 105. That's what I'm waiting for.

In IL the Double/Triple Play plans went to the next speed tier for free. We haven't got Blast 105 or Extreme 150 yet.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to spike010101

Premium Member

to spike010101
I saw someone on the west side got the same notice I did.
If I remember right, the last update was state wide so you should get it on 12/16/14 if that still holds true.
Klinky
join:2014-05-17
Portland, OR

Klinky to JJ Johnson

to JJ Johnson
Let's think of the future though. 5Mbits/sec is actually quite low for 1080p HD video. Blu-ray video is often 4 - 8 times greater. Now think about 4K video coming down the road.

Right now downloading some games from Steam can be daunting without top tier connections, and even at 60mbits, you're still going to have to wait awhile for your 25GB game to download.

I'll definitely be welcoming the upcoming speed bump, and really we should have been at 100mbit/sec connections for everyone probably 10 years ago.

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

said by Klinky:

Let's think of the future though. 5Mbits/sec is actually quite low for 1080p HD video. Blu-ray video is often 4 - 8 times greater. Now think about 4K video coming down the road.

Right now downloading some games from Steam can be daunting without top tier connections, and even at 60mbits, you're still going to have to wait awhile for your 25GB game to download.

I'll definitely be welcoming the upcoming speed bump, and really we should have been at 100mbit/sec connections for everyone probably 10 years ago.

Including 100Mb/s Upload too. I'm tired of only getting 20Mb/s Upload on my Extreme 105 plan.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck

said by iNick:

Including 100Mb/s Upload too. I'm tired of only getting 20Mb/s Upload on my Extreme 105 plan.

better uploads FTW... symmetrical, or at least 1:3 - 1:2 DS/US ratio

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA

Cjaiceman

MVM

Better upload speeds are necessary in this day and age of cloud storage. Takes FOREVER to update some things on the net, even with my 20Mbps of upload. 150/50 would be more like it, and I KNOW they can do that right here and now.

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

said by Cjaiceman:

Better upload speeds are necessary in this day and age of cloud storage. Takes FOREVER to update some things on the net, even with my 20Mbps of upload. 150/50 would be more like it, and I KNOW they can do that right here and now.

Shit 50Mb/s up would be just enough. As you said about the cloud hell yes dude.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Cjaiceman

to Cjaiceman
How can we force our hand so they'll actually do it?

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

It's probably more complicated then just flipping a switch. The upload return signals are still in a portion of the radio band that gets a lot of interference, when they change that upgrading upload speeds should be easy.

spike010101
Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Austin, TX

spike010101 to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Just got my PDF bill for this month.

"Effective 12/16/14, XFINITY Internet Extreme 105 service will
be changed to Extreme 150 with download speeds up to 150 Mbps."

Guess I'll have to exchange my modem now. Have some SMC 4x4 thing, will need 8x4.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Jim721

to Jim721
Yet you would think that with all the time and money they have they would have been working on all that all this time.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to spike010101

to spike010101
I'm still not sold that a 4x4 can't do higher speeds since specs say up to 160+ on certain modems.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

1 recommendation

netcool

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I'm still not sold that a 4x4 can't do higher speeds since specs say up to 160+ on certain modems.

Anyone with the 150Mbps tier should get at a minimum of an 8x4 cable modem. A 4x4 modem is not capable of achieving the provisioned rate + overhead (~180Mbps.)

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

I assume we will need to re-boot our modems next Tuesday to get the upgrade?.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to netcool

to netcool
From what I read it's 160 max for DOCSIS and 190 for EURDOCSIS. I agree that anything higher then 4x4 is ideal but is it really worth another $90+ for a new modem for a few extra Mbps?
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
Possibly, or it'd be an auto restart overnight. Depends.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

1 edit

1 recommendation

netcool to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I agree that anything higher then 4x4 is ideal but is it really worth another $90+ for a new modem for a few extra Mbps?

I would assume that if you are going to go out of your way to pay for a premium tier that you'd want to eke out every bit of speed you could. And an extra 30Mbps is nothing to scoff at.
netcool

1 recommendation

netcool to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

I assume we will need to re-boot our modems next Tuesday to get the upgrade?.

Yes, you will need to restart your cable modem to pick up the need speeds. If you just can't wait I'd suggest restarting after 1AM on the 16th.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

3 recommendations

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Thanks netcool.
I am a member of the old farts brigade so will just wait till I get up. 1AM is way past my bed time.