Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall to bbscript

Premium Member

to bbscript

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 New Tiers Rollout Tracking

said by bbscript:

Amit: Bobby, I have cross checked with my manager, boss and my supervisor . As of now there is no such offers, however as soon as this offer comes in the market, you will be the one to get it.

guess this free upgrade is a hoax.

so i guess comcast sales agents are also clueless????

They would probably even tell you the sky is green if you asked them.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to relish

MVM

to relish
Here's the story on it on the MCN site tonight:

Comcast Boosting Broadband Speeds For Some Bundled Customers
MSO’s Central Division Rolling Faster Speed Tiers Into Double- and Triple-Play Packages

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 21, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· s/147793
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink

said by telcodad:

Here's the story on it on the MCN site tonight:

Comcast Boosting Broadband Speeds For Some Bundled Customers
MSO’s Central Division Rolling Faster Speed Tiers Into Double- and Triple-Play Packages

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 21, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· s/147793

Of interest, from the article:
quote:
Comcast is presently limiting the new bundle packages to its Central Division, a region that operates in 15 states and covers markets such as Chicago; Detroit; Atlanta; Detroit; Miami; and Nashville, Tenn. Comcast has not announced when or if it will offer similar speed packages in its West and Northeast divisions.

bbscript
join:2004-11-09
Gettysburg, PA

1 recommendation

bbscript to relish

to relish
ok so people living in the northeast get shitted on. we gotta pay the same or more for less speed. i think we should get a discount then. if they not doing it across all areas its totally bullshit.

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50 to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Click for full size
I just checked the upgrade your services page and saw this.

I have the premier triple play, but no speed increase yet.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by mustang50:

So yes, it's just the HSI parts of these triple-play (and double-play) packages that are doubling (e.g., from Blast! to Extreme 105) without a price increase, not the speeds of the HSI tiers themselves (not yet, anyway).

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to relish

to relish
any idea what the status is for BCI folks on these speed upgrades? We only just got the upgrade from 50 to 105 3 or 4 months ago, so i would think it will be awhile... nashville (where i am) is mentioned as one of these markets, i believe
bbscript
join:2004-11-09
Gettysburg, PA

bbscript to relish

to relish
just another sign of comcast cherry picking which ought to be illegal.

People in Northeast are gonna complain bigtime.
cant offer it nationwide dont offer it at all.

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

1 recommendation

redbeard916

or cant offer it to hsi only customers as well dont offer it at all..

mustang50
Premium Member
Roseville, MI

mustang50 to bbscript

Premium Member

to bbscript
said by bbscript:

People in Northeast are gonna complain bigtime.
cant offer it nationwide dont offer it at all.

We didn't get the last upgrade until about a year after the northeast got it.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Is there a stat or something to the effect of how many Comcast subscribers are HSI and TV users vs those who are HSI users only?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Chris 313

MVM

to Chris 313
said by relish:

»Exclusive: Comcast to Double Tier Speeds. Again. [105] comments

quote:
Many users only just received Comcast's last batch of speed increases, and now a reliable source at Comcast tells us that another round of updates are in the pipeline for users in some markets. According to the source, Comcast will be boosting their "Performance" tier from 25 to 50 Mbps, their "Blast" tier from 50 to 105 Mbps, and their "Extreme" service may be moving from 105 Mbps to 305 Mbps (this last one's not set in stone).
"Performance" tier: 25 to 50 Mbps
"Blast" tier: 50 to 105 Mbps
"Extreme" tier: 105 Mbps to 305 Mbps (speculation)

said by Chris 313:

said by saintdev:

said by relish:

their "Blast" tier from 50 to 105 Mbps

So I still have to pay the $250 activation and sit through a tech install...I mean phone call..to get this, right.

:
They would most certainly charge you for a tech visit and if it really is going from 105 to 305, you'd most likely need a new modem, one of the 16x4 models or better, I'd say. (I don't think they'd risk putting all 305 users on 8x4 modems)

According to Jason Livingood's (jlivingood See Profile) comment to Karl's news item:
quote:
305 is not a current or near term DOCSIS tier.
See the whole "305 Mbps on DOCSIS?" discussion at: »305 Mbps on DOCSIS?

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to GoodOmens

to GoodOmens
Nothing here in the Carmel NY area yet. We shall see

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

3 recommendations

Darknessfall to relish

Premium Member

to relish

Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 New Tiers Rollout Tracking Side Discussion

Being an internet only customer makes me sad in this situation .

mustang50
Premium Member
Roseville, MI

mustang50 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by mustang50:

So yes, it's just the HSI parts of these triple-play (and double-play) packages that are doubling (e.g., from Blast! to Extreme 105) without a price increase, not the speeds of the HSI tiers themselves (not yet, anyway).

I didn't see any double-plays that get the upgrades. They still say blast 50.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

According to Jason Livingood's (jlivingood See Profile) comment to Karl's news item:

See the whole "305 Mbps on DOCSIS?" discussion at: »305 Mbps on DOCSIS?

I was thinking so. 205 will probably be the max.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
The Comcast techs in the Spokane area haven't heard a thing about any speed upgrades.
But that doesn't mean much. They didn't know about the last one until it was already done, But I think you are right it was in March.
jagged
join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

jagged to relish

to relish

ok so I'm seeing double-play and triple packages with 50Mbps and 105Mbps internet on them. Initially only 105mbps in triple play showed up

So we're live in Fort Lauderdale
Shinrin
join:2013-02-28
Gadsden, AL

Shinrin to relish

to relish
What about Internet Plus? are these not getting the upgrade?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to relish

Premium Member

to relish
I have the triple play, and my internet package is performance. Since I'm in the Chicago market (Carpentersville, IL) I should be seeing this increase soon.

While I have not powered off and rebooted things yet, I probably will do that in a few weeks.

When I see my speed go from 25/5 to 50/5 I will let you all know.

--Brian
kmax
join:2009-03-27

kmax to mustang50

to mustang50

said by mustang50:

Yep, same thing here. Fort Wayne, IN. No speed increase yet after a reboot.

Man, the thought of plunking down the extra coin on going from 105 to the next one up now is somewhat more enticing.
Shinrin
join:2013-02-28
Gadsden, AL

Shinrin to relish

to relish

From what I can see, Internet Plus isn't a double play. So no upgrade for those people.

Even though it's a TV + Internet deal

That means that people who aren't cord cuters, but aren't on a double or triple play are out of luck as well

ets
@comcast.net

ets to relish

Anon

to relish
So us Economy tier customers get nothing, again. I'm paying $40 a month for a measly 3 Mb.

If we don't get a speed increase, then I want a price decrease.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by ets :

So us Economy tier customers get nothing, again. I'm paying $40 a month for a measly 3 Mb.

If we don't get a speed increase, then I want a price decrease.

Yeah, that's not how it works. Pay to play or don't.

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

powerspec88 to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Nothing here yet in Independence MO. Currently have double play with 50/10. Just signed up with Comcast 3 weeks ago and they still wanted to charge $250 for 105/20.

FAUguy
join:2014-01-22

FAUguy to jagged

to jagged
I'm the the Deerfield/Pompano FL area and also saw that on the Comcast page, it listed the HD Premier XF Triple Play bundle (which I currently have) now has 105 Mbps. I reset my eMTA, but it is still maxing out at 56 Mbps.

I checked my log at 192.168.100.1 and it didn't show a new config file, so it must not be active in the area yet.
Last summer, I received an E-Mail about a week after the speeds were increased from 30 to 50 Mbps. I had already reset my eMTA, and the log did show a software config file that downloaded.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

As I previously mentioned - only upgrading the Central region first makes sense. Many areas there have been upgraded to either 16x4 or higher.

Here in the Northeast we're still sitting on an 8x3 system - so the upgrades would probably put too much of a strain on the nodes. I don't think it'll hit here until that's done.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to relish

Premium Member

to relish
As I said above, I currently have the triple play package (Internet, Phone, and TV), with performance on the internet side.

Since that is currently 25/5, and will be moving to 50/5, do I need to upgrade my modem to support that speed?

My current modem, which I do rent from Comcast, is an Arris TM722G. What's interesting is that I have read that modem supports 4 downstream channels, and 4 upstream channels. Yet, my modem status page only shows 4x3, as shown below.

Is 4 downstream channels enough to support 50 MB down? I have no problem working with Comcast to see if I can upgrade my modem. However, I really don't want to rent a gateway device from them. I currently don't have a gateway device, and I would like to keep it that way if at all possible.

Thanks,

--Brian

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by plencnerb:

As I said above, I currently have the triple play package (Internet, Phone, and TV), with performance on the internet side.

Since that is currently 25/5, and will be moving to 50/5, do I need to upgrade my modem to support that speed?

My current modem, which I do rent from Comcast, is an Arris TM722G. What's interesting is that I have read that modem supports 4 downstream channels, and 4 upstream channels. Yet, my modem status page only shows 4x3 ...

Is 4 downstream channels enough to support 50 MB down? I have no problem working with Comcast to see if I can upgrade my modem. However, I really don't want to rent a gateway device from them. I currently don't have a gateway device, and I would like to keep it that way if at all possible.

Actually, Blast! is 50/10 in most areas (like mine).

Many areas (including mine) currently have only 3 upstream carriers provisioned right now. With the recent turndown of the DOCSIS 1.X supporting ones, you may see a reshuffling of the upstream carrier frequencies and a fourth one added in the future.

Each 256QAM downstream carrier can support a total (shared) data rate of about 38 Mbps, so 4 of them should support a 50 Mbps downstream rate. In fact, before 8x4 modems/eMTAs were yet available, Comcast was offering/marketing "Extreme 50" and "Extreme 105" residential HSI service.

Above the "Extreme 105" tier however, one of the new 8x4 modems/eMTAs would be needed and I would recommend one of those for "Extreme 105" service.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to plencnerb

MVM

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

You are fine for 50/10 speeds. I have a TM722G also, and 4 channels down/3 up. I typically get speeds of about 57/11.