spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jay864
join:2013-07-18

2 edits

Jay864

Zyxel Zuwall USG 20 does not get IP from modem

I replaced my comcast modem, the replacement is also a comcast box.
Bridge mode on, wifi disabled, internet connection is ok.
When i connect an AirPort Extreme or netgear router, my network has internet access, when i connect the zyxel (which worked fine with the old modem) I got nothing. 0.0.0.0

I have tried rebooting the zyxel, rebooting the modem, rebooting both in different orders, renewing DHCP lease, checked and rechecked all ethernet connections, nothing.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may be going on?
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN

You wouldn't happen to be cloning a MAC address would you?

When I first got my USG50, I tried cloning the MAC to my previous router to keep the same IP address. Could never make it work. Only way I could get it to pull an IP was unplug the WAN cable going to modem for a second, and then plugging back in. Even a reboot would not work.

Its the only problem I have ever run into with the USG and Comcast.

-Alan

Jay864

1 edit

Jay864

I'm not cloning a MAC but just in case I may have accidentally done so, where do I check for this?
Jay864

Jay864 to FirebirdTN

to FirebirdTN
Looked all over but as far as I can tell, no MAC address cloning. I also disabled the firewall so the continuous pings from comcast on port 68 would be allowed through, figured maybe that will make the IP populate, but it did not help. Any other ideas?
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN

Hmmm, I don't really have a clue. But since your not getting thrown any bones, I'll take a stab:

First off, the MAC cloning is located under Configure, Network, Interface, Ethernet Tab. You have to check "show advanced settings" tick box. Its on that page.

Humor me for a sec-I just want to see if yours did the same thing mine did when I did try MAC cloning:

Power cycle your modem and USG. Once fully rebooted, THEN unplug the ethernet cable between the modem and USG for a second or two, then plug it back in. Log into the USG and see if you get an IP address then. Again, that is the ONLY way I could get an IP when I did try MAC cloning when I first got my USG. I gave up on the MAC cloning and haven't had any issues since. That was a long time ago.

I am going to assume you know all your settings are correct (like the interface isn't accidentally set to inactive and things like that), then I would try to change the interface speed and parameters as a test (things like duplex, and from auto to 1000, or 100mbit). I don't know where those settings are but they are in there some where, you will just have to dig around.

Good Luck!

-Alan

Jay864

Jay864

Tried everything I could but ended up hard resetting the box back to factory defaults. "Sys" was blinking for over 20 minutes so reset it again. It obtained an IP from the modem right away, I imported my configuration file and everything is up and running again. No idea what the issue was but after a week of comcast/modem/zyxel issues I'm not touching it again unless I have to