All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

AUser
@qrs1.com

AUser

Anon

Hitting 10.60.70.x - why?

In troubleshooting a system running on a 10.60.70.x network I noticed devices showing pingable that I did not connect. Doing a quick scan of the 10.60.70.x network and looking at the hosts showing port 80 open all seem to be Motorola surfboard cable modems in the NYC area. Why could this be? I thought the whole 10.x.x.x subnet wasn't supposed to be publicly accessible.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

That's very normal. The modem IPs aren't publicly accessible, they're "private" to TWC's network. In some cases you can even see those IPs on traceroutes.

You can still use 10.x.x.x for your own purposes, under normal circumstances you shouldn't ever need to direct traffic at the internal IP of your modem.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to AUser

to AUser
The 10.x.x.x subnet is not to be routable. It is accessible if your IP is part of the 10. subnet.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by harald:

The 10.x.x.x subnet is not to be routable.

All IPs are routable to a degree, just not all of them past the edge of a organizations network.

In this case TWC is using 10.60.70.x within their network. The cable modem is part of their network, so it will pass the IP. You won't be able to get to that IP if it's on any other network though.

Most home routers (and combo router/modems) aren't configured to block RFC1918 addresses from leaving their private network like they should, like commercial networks have to. Home routers really shouldn't allow that sort of traffic to pass their WAN ports.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to AUser

Premium Member

to AUser
I used to see those as well and if they were Moto units I could bring up the diagnostic pages and even reboot the modem. Not sure why that was ever allowed to happen. Not sure if this still works though.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to AUser

Premium Member

to AUser
That would be the HFC (network) side of the cablemodem. You aren't supposed be able to talk to those, but people do make mistakes. Around here, the modems are in 10.118.192.0/19.

(if you watch the broadcast traffic from your modem (not combo-router), you can see the DHCP answers for everything.)

ds5v50
join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

ds5v50 to swintec

to swintec
They have finally fixed that in my area Western Ohio

hawk82
join:2001-04-26
centralmaine

hawk82

said by ds5v50:

They have finally fixed that in my area Western Ohio

Same here. You can still access your modem's diag page from the HFC IP but not any other modem or other TWC device on the same subnet. 2600 mag had an article about this very issue a few years ago. Maybe that prompted them to apply appropriate filters to the HFC or eth side of the modem.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to AUser

MVM

to AUser
Yeah I remember years ago before ACL's were put on that portion of the network you could access a lot of that stuff customer side, including the docsis tftp server.

Now most area's have ACL's (Access Control Lists) in place that prevent that kind of traffic routing. It closes up a big security hole too doing tftp transfers of the config file, altering it and tftping it (or jtaging it) back to the modem.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

(and the modems have been "fixed" as well... they cannot be tricked into loading anything from the ethernet side anymore)

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Cool. Were going on 13 years now since I last tried that (with great success).
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Back then they also had firmware without the -NOSH (you could do a lot with a shell)