BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to mixdup

Premium Member

to mixdup

Re: Pricing (and BHNTechXpert's worst nightmare come true :)

said by mixdup:

So all of Indianapolis is covered by Comcast, BHN, FiOS, and U-Verse. It's the most connected city in the country! I'm moving there!

Not going to argue this with you Mixdup because once again we are not on common foundations. Do your homework and learn what I already know about that area and perhaps we can revisit the discussion down the road.
Michael_D
join:2013-02-17
Indianapolis, IN

Michael_D to telijah

to telijah
said by telijah:

I think the point is, if you do not want to use BHN there, you don't have to.

There are alternative providers (why not include YouTube, Netflix, et al) but BHN (or Comcast, depending on one's geographic location, but not both) are the sole cable service providers with franchises in the City of Indianapolis. BHNtechXpert and I just disagree on what constitutes a cable service provider.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

When you say "cable service provider", are you talking about television service, or just the infrastructure used to provide said service?
Expand your moderator at work

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert

Re: Pricing (and BHNTechXpert's worst nightmare come true :)

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by mixdup:

said by Milkman0:

I currently work for a major IT corporation (hardware, software, services, etc.), and have been here for 15+ years. Never once have we posted real prices online. Sure we have a publicly published LIST price, but list prices are a joke, and aren't even CLOSE to the real price that we sell items for. Not one customer has ever paid list price or anything close.

1. I *hate* that, and as a consumer of products from major IT vendors, this drives me insane. Saying this happens everywhere does not make it right
2. Cable is not an enterprise service that is negotiable. Their prices are their prices. If I call in and you call in for residential service, we should get the same prices. There are promos, sure, but those are generally the same as well.
said by BHNtechXpert:

Hogwash to all of the above...and especially the monoply thing.....we do not have a monopoly in any of our markets...there are at least two other options. Do your homework and stop with the monopoly nonsense.

You don't have competition over every inch of your areas. Many places you may be the only internet service available. Wireless is not a viable competitor and if that is what we consider competition in order to not classify wireline internet services from cable and telcos as monopolies in areas where those land based providers are the only company available, then we're sunk.

Actually yes we do....at the very least you have Dish or Directv and there is always DSL or satellite/wifi providers. While they might not be viable for you they are alternatives...people go between them all the time.

Just a tidbit - DSL isn't available in my area, especially considering the equipment is in place for it. Ma Bell, err, the DeathStar hasn't decided to light it up. They even told me (years ago) that there was no plans on ever supplying my neighborhood with DSL. And even now, it still doesn't qualify.

I had DirecTV before.... I'd rather deal with BHN.... LOL
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by neonhomer:

Just a tidbit - DSL isn't available in my area, especially considering the equipment is in place for it. Ma Bell, err, the DeathStar hasn't decided to light it up. They even told me (years ago) that there was no plans on ever supplying my neighborhood with DSL. And even now, it still doesn't qualify.

I had DirecTV before.... I'd rather deal with BHN.... LOL

And we're glad you're with us NH!

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

That's until Comcast comes...... Whoa...I can't say that and not laugh....
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by neonhomer:

said by BHNtechXpert:

That's until Comcast comes...... Whoa...I can't say that and not laugh....

I'm telling weasle you said that....