share rss forum feed

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

2 recommendations

New most common password

For years SplashData has listed 'password' as number one on their list of the 25 common passwords, but this year a new dog has taken the number one spot, all hail the new king '123456'

The scary part is passwords like 'monkey' and 'shadow' are on this list which is proof that despite some people thinking they are original, they aren't.

Full list of 25 most common passwords here »splashdata.com/press/worstpasswords2013.htm

I'm just happy to see my password 'f3fIblLmdkP5XDETzXbs' is still not on the list.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
Please remember that this data is known because the companies that required a password were not secure enough to maintain control of them and stored them in a way that allowed the passwords to be disclosed. To me, the companies that disclosed this information share the blame.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to Link Logger
Another factor to consider is not every site that requires a password might be worth much more effort than entering '123456' for a password. If its a site that has financial implications for me, well it gets the full meal deal password of '`3x},=qc$NXs_3MpXAC2W8R+oqF2K7 ACXX63' but if its just a blab forum with no real personal information, who cares, it gets '123456'. Not every site requires balls to the wall passwords/security

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
That used to be my old style thinking, decent password for the not important stuff and a good password for anything involving money. Since I started using LastPass everyone gets their own good password.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

I'm just happy to see my password 'f3fIblLmdkP5XDETzXbs' is still not on the list.

Neither is my 'horsepinklobster'. Well, I won't reveal the actual, but I obfuscate by rendering as, 'um@m0mo&1Ob5t3r'.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Link Logger
You mean I have to change my 123456?

Actually I have used it on those sites that really don't need a password/ones I don't plan on staying or other reasons... guess will make up another .. maybe 654321?

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to Link Logger
Those losers; I use 'password123456', no one's the wiser.
To really shake things up, 'password654321'.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Link Logger
List seems skewed towards photoshop. Maybe sampling error.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
reply to Link Logger
I changed all of my gazillion passwords.

I had all the old ones memorized. Never again.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to Kilroy
I use KeePass and password managers are great and really everyone should have one as you mention it promotes good password usage, but still when I'm basically creating a toss away account on a site I couldn't really care less about, 'password' works to protect my made up bogus info. I mean really I want hackers to have that stuff to waste time on (or maybe is its just bait for something else )

Blake
--

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to Link Logger

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Link Logger
I wait for the day when, due to password length requirements, 'fuckinglongpassword' becomes one of the most common passwords.

Until then, I shall continue to use it.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

anonome

@verizon.net
reply to Link Logger
"That's the kind of [password] an idiot would put on his luggage." (Spaceballs)

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Link Logger
Before I quit my last IT job, I put "in writing" that they need to be more secure. One department was so "lazy", they escalated policy to not have any password for their PC logins (they were responsible for plate-making of large packaging clients).
They even allowed one employee to watch you-tube on a million-dollar Indigo Digital Press...
No one would listen to suggestions on security and the owner overrode any security measures that were "inconvenient" to operations.

Not my problem anymore.
--
Splat

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown

1 edit
reply to Link Logger
I changed all my passwords to
ForgetYourPassword?

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Link Logger
'123456' may be the new king of most used password but 'POS' as in Point Of Sale still tops the list of passwords that can ruin a day.

Second on that list are default passwords.
I place half default for that on developers for allowing a default password during deployment/installation.

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14

1 recommendation

I always think "Piece Of Shit" whenever I see the abbreviation POS.

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

Another factor to consider is not every site that requires a password might be worth much more effort than entering '123456' for a password. If its a site that has financial implications for me, well it gets the full meal deal password of '`3x},=qc$NXs_3MpXAC2W8R+oqF2K7 ACXX63' but if its just a blab forum with no real personal information, who cares, it gets '123456'. Not every site requires balls to the wall passwords/security

Blake

Ditto that.

A forum or similar site, for example, which contains no real personal or financial information doesn't get a complex password unless required by the site rules.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Life is just better when Jeter is in the lineup.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

I always think "Piece Of Shit" whenever I see the abbreviation POS.

That's what I think of the admins whenever I see "POS" used as a password on anything that touches a terminal.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

Blake

Truthiness. I have a set of easy to remember passwords I rotate through for random sites. Sometimes, I even change my username, while using the same weak-ass password. BBR is the only place I go by sivran, for example. There are other sivrans on the internets, but I assure you, they are not me.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Link Logger
When it comes down to it, any single-word password is extremely weak, no matter how uncommon you might think the word is.

Make an original phrase out of several words, add in some upper case letters, a bit of punctuation, and a few numbers, and all of a sudden you have a password that is both memorable and reasonably secure. Of course, don't do anything stupid like "ThisIsAPassword111!". Be more creative, like, "Thehorseeats25FISH?".

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Common wisdom is don't use single words found in any dictionary in any language. "Ha1!6a%sI&ja#yE5"?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Booost

@151.190.40.x
reply to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

Please remember that this data is known because the companies that required a password were not secure enough to maintain control of them and stored them in a way that allowed the passwords to be disclosed.

Does this site still store passwords as plain text?

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to Link Logger
I am glad "hotsexyfatarse" isn't on the list. Phew...

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
reply to Link Logger
This list is not of the most common passwords. But rather the most common passwords that where stolen and made available in the previous year (2013). Good possibility that that is a very small sample of all passwords in use. As well as being skewed toward less secure sites which very well may have less sensitive information not requiring more stringent security.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation