spc
uniqs
KodakMoment
join:2010-02-16
North York, ON

1 edit

KodakMoment

Re: [Modem/Router] Rogers connection drops frequently DNS

Well the same tech that only replaced the gateway came again today. He opened the wall unit and it looked like the end of the cable was corroded so he ended up changing that. Here is a snapshot of my signal page now. I'll report back if I have further issues

»i.imgur.com/UVd3BWj.png

Update*

Well back to square one. Still having the same issue I noticed during the outages the upstream spikes up to the 50s

»i.imgur.com/uWxecea.png

I have to reboot the gateway when I do the thing fails to connect and I have to reboot it again. The downstream light will blink once green then stabilize, upstream will blink a bit green, then the online will blink green a bit, then the online and upstream lights will go off and it will repeat this pattern until I reboot the modem again;/

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Call and ask for a senior tech. This guy clearly doesn't know what the hell he's doing. With signals like that, something is wrong.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to KodakMoment

to KodakMoment
I'm betting this is a maintenance issue, I'm also betting the guy isn't going to the tap. Are you aerial fed, or burial? If burial fed, did this guy bother locating the big green box out on the street underneath the snow?

Your RF is low, which means either the feed is low or the cable to the modem is toast and needs to be rerun, or there are too many splitters between the feed and your modem.

But ya Sbrook is right. This guy isn't doing his job. Call in, escalate. Like I said before asking for a Senior tech doesn't work, unless you go through the office of the president.

However while it is aggravating to continue waiting around for techs, every time you book a service call within 30 days of the lady one, the last tech gets hit with a performance repeat. So if this guy keeps coming.. your destroying his performance metrics.
KodakMoment
North York, ON

1 edit

KodakMoment

said by cepnot4me:

I'm betting this is a maintenance issue, I'm also betting the guy isn't going to the tap. Are you aerial fed, or burial? If burial fed, did this guy bother locating the big green box out on the street underneath the snow?

Your RF is low, which means either the feed is low or the cable to the modem is toast and needs to be rerun, or there are too many splitters between the feed and your modem.

But ya Sbrook is right. This guy isn't doing his job. Call in, escalate. Like I said before asking for a Senior tech doesn't work, unless you go through the office of the president.

However while it is aggravating to continue waiting around for techs, every time you book a service call within 30 days of the lady one, the last tech gets hit with a performance repeat. So if this guy keeps coming.. your destroying his performance metrics.

Burial fed. Not sure if he actually opened the green box. They usually do that before they call to say they are outside. He told me before he checked it and it was fine this was the first time when it was around -22 without windshield. He didn't ask to go to the backyard to check the lines nor the garage where the splitter is this time around. He barely spoke English. I had to keep repeating myself it was obvious he was a fresh immigrant not to put others down. It's true this time around you could see the panic when he realized he didn't fix it the first time around. Also forgot to add he used some device where it can be attached to a cable to read the signal. He shows me it says before it was 0 now it's 8 and the scale is 0-10.

I did end up calling yet again and the phone rep said something along the lines of okay its been more than enough visits its time we sent out a senior tech. They could have saved themselves money and time for me and them if they send out the Senior tech the 2nd time when I requested it. They said the boss and underling will be here so we shall see how that goes.

I did forget to mention my brother also had rogers extreme but hes on the 2nd floor of the house. He said he has 0 issues atm. So that probably narrows it down to the line between the splitter and the outlet where my gateway is
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

The meter he showed you signal on is the RF, +8 is good, if it's on the right channel.
We check the levels of 4/70/135, that gives us an idea of the slope.

Channel 4 will give an experienced tech an idea of TX issues. But that number could be 25 and the TX is still out of spec.

Channel 70 gives us an idea of the RX. Actually, channel 89 gives bus an idea but we rate it based on the number we get on 70.

135 is just for good measure to make sure the plant is sloping properly.

You say upstairs is another modem?

How many cable outlets are connected to the feed. (in use or not, modem, home phone lines included. )

If there are 2 houses worth of services, you need a 2nd drop.

Sounds to me like they are sending you a supervisor. He will resolve it. However the solution I'm going to bet will require drilling one or two new lines to exterior of the house.
KodakMoment
North York, ON

KodakMoment

said by cepnot4me:

The meter he showed you signal on is the RF, +8 is good, if it's on the right channel.
We check the levels of 4/70/135, that gives us an idea of the slope.

Channel 4 will give an experienced tech an idea of TX issues. But that number could be 25 and the TX is still out of spec.

Channel 70 gives us an idea of the RX. Actually, channel 89 gives bus an idea but we rate it based on the number we get on 70.

135 is just for good measure to make sure the plant is sloping properly.

You say upstairs is another modem?

How many cable outlets are connected to the feed. (in use or not, modem, home phone lines included. )

If there are 2 houses worth of services, you need a 2nd drop.

Sounds to me like they are sending you a supervisor. He will resolve it. However the solution I'm going to bet will require drilling one or two new lines to exterior of the house.

There are 2 boxes 1 outside which can only be unlocked with a socketed screwdriver says bell on it. One inside by the breaker box. The one inside by the breaker box has a splitter with 3 cables on it 3.5/7/3.5 can't remember if these numbers are correct. Didn't really get a chance to see much of the one in the bell box there was a splitter in there.

3 outlets upstairs, 2 in the living room, and 1 in the basement. Don't quite follow on the home phone part do you mean telephone wiring?

I don't quite understand why they would need to route another cable? I've been using this line fine for a few years up until now.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

It depends, if the feed is low. Then your wiring is ok. A proper install would see that the first splitter at the house, inside or outside. Is a 3 way (sometimes a 2 way).
The leg 3.5 will feed another splitter that feeds your TVs, the other 2 legs are marked 7, one would feed a Rogers home phone service if you ordered it, the other would connect to modem, uninterrupted no other splitters between the first one and your Internet modem.

The line would need to replaced if the network is in spec outside.

Which means.
The line has gone bad or is RG59.Or it is not a direct run from the first splitter of your account to your modem.

The splitter outside if a 2 way, is what is separating your account from the other account in the house. It won't count as my previously mentioned 1st splitter.

I am still leaning towards outside issue. From what you describe things are the way they should be.

Now keep in mind a bad line that worked for the last 10 years, is still bad. Just because it worked without incident before, doesn't mean it is still good. It just means it has degraded to a point that your noticing it in your service.

However, like I said. I bet it's an outside issue.
KodakMoment
North York, ON

1 edit

KodakMoment

Well the tech was scheduled for today. I waited between the hours and got a call telling me they will need another hour or so. Had to rescheduled because of this. I eventually got my connection to stabilize by resetting the modem when it kept dropping and got 1 upstream channel. Now if this thing reboots i'm probably screwed as it will reset back to 2-3 and keep d/cing. I'm guessing there is no way to pick how many channels you want to use?

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

With a poor signal like you have the number of available channels won't matter. The disconnect will occur because of a loss of the primary channel. Loss of a non-primary channel doesn't always cause a disconnect.