2 recommendations

My 2013 Mac Pro

Click for full size
Mac and monitor
Click for full size
Monitor and speakers
Click for full size
Subwoofer

So I finally got my custom Mac Pro today along with my famous (or is it infamous) speakers. All I can say that performance-wise it just blows your mind. Interesting, but useless fact. The default city the clock widget on the dashboard is for Austin, TX where the 2013 Mac Pro is assembled.. I haven't done anything too processor intensive yet, but this thing flies! Cheesy unboxing video to follow in this thread (maybe tomorrow).

Edit: Yes, I realized I messed up the photo captions, but you can figure it out.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
I've seen them, and people keep saying how small they are, but I can't get over how compact and small they are! Almost an appliance instead of a computer.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to mbernste
Nice! I like how the subwoofer is bigger than the Mac Pro.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
reply to mbernste
Nice machine....Enjoy it!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to mbernste
Nice, but where's the rest of the junk attached to it? don't tell me you don't have any other storage... i hope its a NAS or TB array not visible.
--

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
said by HiVolt:

Nice, but where's the rest of the junk attached to it? don't tell me you don't have any other storage... i hope its a NAS or TB array not visible.

There are only three things physically attached to it (power, audio and ethernet). Unseen to the right of my desk is a small printer stand that I got for $40 (with a $35 discount) from Amazon. It has the printer on top and on the bottom shelf are two NASes (Buffalo and Netgear) along with two external drives, one attached to the Netgear and the other to my Asus router.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to mbernste
Well, here's my unboxing video. Sorry that it is a little crooked, I guess the tripod was at an angle.

»youtu.be/nRqF5mOCwDQ

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to mbernste
Install adblock, what are you doing?

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by Mike:

Install adblock, what are you doing?

Eventually I will. It's a brand new computer. I didn't even install Firefox until this morning.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to mbernste
When I first came across this thread there were no responses and I was going to post something like "I hate you" (jokingly naturally) or "I'm green with envy". However, I thought better of it and abstained.

I will say "good on you" for getting it. I wish I had one or two new Mac Pro's myself,.....

Also, I'll ask if you have any plans to upgrade your monitors to 4K monitors? If not what specific work did you have in mind for your new Mac Pro?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to mbernste
I see an MS laser mouse there.

Cannot fault you though that model was rock solid.. I still have one in a box as an emergency backup mouse.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Also, I'll ask if you have any plans to upgrade your monitors to 4K monitors? If not what specific work did you have in mind for your new Mac Pro?

I bought the 27" Thunderbolt when I ordered the Mac Pro. I thought about a 4K monitor, but they were not only too big for my work area (even the 27" is a tad large) they were outside of what my wallet would let me do. I plan on using the Pro for video and photo editing, some game playing and general computing (I admit that's a broad term). I believe in getting a seemingly overpowered computer because it pushes off obsolescence. I generally get a new desktop every 5-7 years. The Dell XPS 710 that it replaced I got in 2007 and it had an extravagant 4 GB of RAM (rare back then), 1.7 TB of storage (in an era when 500 GB was considered large), a video card with 750 MB of video RAM and dual DVD drives. In a few years we'll be saying "it only has 64 GB of RAM and 1 TB of SSD storage?"

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

Mac mice suck. I'm not trolling, just stating an opinion. I've had that MS Mouse for years and it is rock solid. I have the same exact one at work and I really like it.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by mbernste:

said by Kearnstd:

Mac mice suck. I'm not trolling, just stating an opinion. I've had that MS Mouse for years and it is rock solid. I have the same exact one at work and I really like it.

Yeah. That's the original MS wheel mouse optical isn't it. I still have a bunch of them at work, still working... Some probably over 10 years old. I remember buying like 20 of them in OEM wrappers from a store that was going out of business, I think I paid $15 each.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to mbernste
Fair enough,....

I've been on the lookout for a 4K monitor since 2014 is supposedly going to be the year of 4K. So far I haven't seen much yet but it is still early in the year. Right now the only affordable models (that is to say, in my price range) are the following:

Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor P2815Q (3840x2160) $699

and

Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor UP2414Q $1299

Unfortunately the cheaper P2815Q 28" is TN and only 30Hz at 3840x2160. The full specs were only officially released a few days ago and today is the official first day of sale.

The 24" model is smaller then I would like and about ~$300 more then the upper limit of what I would prefer to pay. Still there should be a few more models from different manufacturers in and around this price range coming soon.

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA
reply to mbernste
drooling

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

reply to mbernste
So cool that you can still get Soundsticks.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by bobrk:

They sound great, but they certainly aren't wireless.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to mbernste
I hate you.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to mbernste
When Apple announced the new Mac Pro, for some strange reason I felt sure they would release a 4K monitor at the same time. Especially so given the emphasis of multiple 4K monitor support on the new Pro. Doing so and then not providing the Apple solution for said supported feature just seems a bit odd IMO.

I'm sure it would be a costly solution though.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to mbernste
What I would do for one of these

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

When Apple announced the new Mac Pro, for some strange reason I felt sure they would release a 4K monitor at the same time. Especially so given the emphasis of multiple 4K monitor support on the new Pro. Doing so and then not providing the Apple solution for said supported feature just seems a bit odd IMO.

I'm sure it would be a costly solution though.

I hope if they do release it, it will be at the proper 4K resolution of 4096x2160, not the 16:9 bastardized 3840x2160.
--

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mbernste
said by mbernste:

said by bobrk:

They sound great, but they certainly aren't wireless.

No they sure aren't, but hey, it's cool that you can stream to them from a bluetooth device .... I guess?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to mbernste
That's a lot of power in one system. Why the ultra-end hardware?

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by sk1939:

Why the ultra-end hardware?

I've already answered that question.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by mbernste:

said by sk1939:

5-7 years is an admittedly long window to try to buy hardware for, almost untenably so given Moore's Law.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by sk1939:

5-7 years is an admittedly long window to try to buy hardware for, almost untenably so given Moore's Law.

I've been doing it for a very long time and it has worked very well for me. I have one laptop (a Dell XPS) that is still going strong. It will be ten years old in June.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by mbernste:

said by sk1939:

I've been doing it for a very long time and it has worked very well for me. I have one laptop (a Dell XPS) that is still going strong. It will be ten years old in June.

That's rather impressive to be honest, I don't think I'd have the patience to stick it out that long.

joeybee
Joey
Premium
join:2003-08-12
Hamilton, ON
reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

said by mbernste:

said by sk1939:

My 6 year old Mac Pro is still pretty fast. Quad Xeons, 8GB of RAM and 4 500GB Hard drives in RAID config. It could use some more RAM but it still pulls its weight.
--
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, Are the ones who do.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
I'm running a single 6-core Xeon in my main Windows PC, but more RAM. It too is still chugging along nicely, although I find myself using my Mac Mini more often for things that I don't have to run Windows for.