uniqs

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Is Brighthouse issuing Transparency Reports?

Now that other Telcos are having these sort of Transparency Reports dragged out of them, it has me wondering how popular my own ISP is with law enforcement.

So is Brighthouse currently transparent with their subscribers (about the sort of legal/judicial requests I linked to above)?

If not, can we expect Brighthouse to begin offering Transparency Reports (similar to Google's and Verizon's) within the next year?

Thanks.

xXDigitalXx
join:2014-01-22
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

xXDigitalXx

well as far as law enforcement goes, at the local level they send out a letter to the ISP asking them to retain all logs on a certain person then a digital forensics person will pick them up. Dont know about the state, but at the federal level, there is not much you can do they have they the Patriot act, they have the NSA backdoors, they have Protection act for Social media, they are just nice enough to ask them politely but in reality they actually dont have to ask. They can drop sneak a peaks (15 min to see whatever you doing) whenever they please to do so thank god local does how that power, but most agencies do not have a cyber crime units in fact out of 17 only 2 and one is part time.. I was like what you dont have cyber units, when I signed up, nope not at local, besides spd (which is pt) and the sheriff only have those units.. They just get our orders from federal. By the way the letter that they send out it a retention letter.

Most of the time law enforcement and ISP tend to get along pretty well, but if your not doing nothing illegal then you should have nothing to worry about.

Miss me gary .. long time no talk.. went to all honors college, been a few years, coming on board with law enforcement. Modem works like a charm.. haven't had any problems with it..

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Well, I was actually asking if Brighthouse was (or is about to) issue transparency reports.
Thanks though.
said by xXDigitalXx:

if your not doing nothing illegal then you should have nothing to worry about.

Would you allow webcams in every bedroom and bathroom in your home - with a live feed to a variety of federal agencies?
Because if you're not doing anything illegal you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

xXDigitalXx

to be honest most of the federal agencies are overwhelmed and undermanned powered. They use techniques such as buzzwords, and supercomputers, and is all automated. If your creating a botnet the size of California, then ya, they are going to check it out. But the common user, unless your going to sites that are really bad, or unless they have probable cause, then they wont even bother. You have to remember that everything goes through the backbone, guess where the feds sit.. the backbone. They are having more problems with people and hackers using the CDMA and GSM (cellular networks) to hide to their misdoings cause they are harder to track down, throw away androids and creating servers, virtually on them, then they do with alot of cable customers.

The perpetrators have migrated, use to be easy for them to heard all of of the people whitehats, blackhats, grayhats, to specific irc servers, now they can bury a cell phone and put solar power to it.. and hide out

Transparency is nothing new, facebook, also releases all information that federal government requests too.. look at the bottom of there policy.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

2 edits

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Much of that makes sense.

But the reality is people are more trackable now by law enforcement, than they've ever been at any other point in human history. Focusing on the technological setbacks of the day won't unwind that.

And
I know transparency isn't new but it is lagging far behind where it should be.
There are blessed few government entities that preemptively open themselves up for accountability by the citizens they serve.

And
Everyone has stuff to hide. We call those things private, not illegal.

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

xXDigitalXx

just remember nothing is unbreakable, the highest encryption, the ones that are legal, where development by the goverment, the people that develop encryption stronger than the DOD standards, go to jail. A decent, VPN, PGP, and TrueCrypt usually keep those things to private. Me I have nothing to hide, I been through the gauntlet, and waiting on a polygraph. It is what it is.

Also remember they can and if they have cause, bitstream your entire computer onto one of there. So, they already have a exact copy of what of is on your computer, cell phone, and this is why I dont worry to much about it. You have a smart phone it probably has 2 cameras front and back you carry around it everywhere, if they want they can drop the patriot and remote view it.

Law enforcement is quickly catching up, with criminals, keeping there under covers out of harm way, via doing this method is currently being used.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by xXDigitalXx:

Me I have nothing to hide,

Are you OK with 24/7 webcams in every bathroom and bedroom in your home? I suspect you have something to hide there.

Actually, I imagine most everyone else on the planet has something to hide there.

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

xXDigitalXx

Not really only thing, I have that dont want to be leaked is some ex's stuff she is 18+ btw but I dont feel like becoming a star. Which is highly encrypted and already been questioned about at my interview.

they already have all your IRS information, all your medical documents soon enough, so why not.. becoming a law enforcer, they have to question you throughly and check out your home, depending on the specified field.

Should read up on the Federal Protection Act, find alot more information, than what I can provide you with.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to xXDigitalXx

Premium Member

to xXDigitalXx
said by xXDigitalXx:

just remember nothing is unbreakable, the highest encryption,

Most high level encryption methods take a fair amount of resources to break.
As example - my IPSEC VPNs have a 256bit Blowfish tunnel inside of a 1536bit 3DES tunnel.
My OpenVPNs are 2048bit encrypted and have to auth'd by cert and rotating passwords.
Could they be cracked? Eventually, but it would take a lot of time to do so.
In the mean time I know it's contents are pretty well safe from folks who have no business knowing what's inside.

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

xXDigitalXx

Eventually, but why would they need to, they can backdoor anything. We are talking about federally, to the common user, thats all good and dandy, better the encryption the better off you are.

Remind you, if you dont want to be on their radar, then dont do something to put yourself on their radar. Trust me I learned the hard way..stay under the radar..or get thrown into college via no choice, better than jail. Then go to work for them later on in life...

Then pay them back there federal loans, which are coming due... Hacking is a double edge sword, it can be used for good or bad, the ethics of the person is keeps them in check, you learn ethics too. Many many moons ago.. wasn't always on the side of the law, lets just put it that way.. All that had to be fully disclosed. So you go school occur debt from the government and turn around and work for free basically.

Both of my degrees are in ethical hacking or it-security and law enforcement digital forensics. When I was growing up there was no way to ethically hack.. we didnt have VM's.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to xXDigitalXx

Premium Member

to xXDigitalXx
said by xXDigitalXx:

Not really only thing, I have that don't want to be leaked is

...none of my business unless you want it to be.

Two things.
Assuming you'll have a family one day, you'll appreciate that protecting your family will mean guarding your family's private details.
It will never, ever, ever be my business to know that stuff - even if the government hires me.

Second thing.
The best people who ever lived made mistakes in their life. They made amends for some mistakes but escaped consequence for most. This is absolutely how it should be.

But society is moving to a place where most transgressions will be recorded.
And we're redefining what transgressions are, to the tune of 40,000 new laws a year.

The net result of this is we've started a War on Redemption. It may be the worst thing we've ever done to ourselves.
And I'm not just pinning this on Gov, it's much more complicated.

But if we don't give people a chance to pay for their mistakes ONE time (and one time only), people will no longer have any reason to redeem themselves.

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

xXDigitalXx

of course, this is why at the federal level, they highly screen their employees, and yes the NSA is having problems with there employees spying on spouses, But first I wouldn't put a camera in a bathroom, nor a private area. Everyone makes a mistake, a mistake is alright when it becomes problematic and the person keeps making the same mistake then it becomes a problem.

People also mature, they never stop maturing, me I was personally a very slow maturer. Maturity is a choice not something that happens naturally.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to xXDigitalXx

Premium Member

to xXDigitalXx
said by xXDigitalXx:

Eventually, but why would they need to, they can backdoor anything. We are talking about federally, to the common user, thats all good and dandy, better the encryption the better off you are.

I imagine the Gov would have a tough time backdooring my equipment. Not impossible but likely not worth it.

I custom build my hardware. I feel options like Trusted Platform Modules more of a liability and avoid them. I routinely check firmware (BIOS, PXE, etc) for rootkits because I have found them.

My firewall OS's are 100% opensource and have thousands of brilliant people continually pouring over the source code. I'm not brilliant but I poke around in there too.

I also tightly manage traffic through my firewalls. None of this guarantees anything but it sure makes the bad guy's jobs tougher.

Maybe most pertinent. I don't differentiate between the Russian Business Network, Asian Espionage outfits, Tracking Companies and Gov agencies. If they don't clearly belong on my network, they're the bad guys.

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

xXDigitalXx

I know we got off topic, but if your more interested in BHN, there is a privacy policy located somewhere on corporate website that should explain to you in detail, what they will and will not do.
xXDigitalXx

xXDigitalXx to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
Im not going to go there with the Russians Business Network, better known as the the Russian mafia. As far as the Asian espionage outfits, I dont like foreign countries to track me as it is. I took the oath to uphold the us from all types of attacks foreign and domestic.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to xXDigitalXx

Premium Member

to xXDigitalXx
said by xXDigitalXx:

there is a privacy policy located somewhere on [BHN's] corporate website that should explain to you in detail, what they will and will not do.

Privacy reports tend toward meaninglessness.
An insinuation of something Brighthouse might do doesn't really tell me anything at all.

A transparency report tells what BrightHouse actually did do and how often.

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

xXDigitalXx

this is true, facebook released 50k of user profiles per month, and transparent proxies have been used for many many years. I find it odd that they are targeting ISPs when they can send a retention letter to them and request all logs. They dont have to divulge this information, if they dont want to. I believe that report is probably a scare tactic or some suppression tactic.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to xXDigitalXx

Premium Member

to xXDigitalXx
If we give an entity open consent to track us, it's OK.
If we don't give consent, it's inappropriate to surveil us. Further, it's often illegal and/or unconstitutional.

Out of curosity:
Who was your oath to?

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

xXDigitalXx

when you join any government agency military or what not you swear a oath.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Is that oath to the uphold the government or the Constitution?

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

xXDigitalXx

its like this, the government operates usually in clandestine, they dont want you to know, the companies are the one letting it out. For what reason, i dont know, maybe their infrastructure has a lot of bad people on it, or maybe there trying curve people traits and habits. the oath, Its to protect the people. The judges / lawyers and the law makers are the ones that uphold the constitution. The police and the enforces just bring them to justice where they stand a fair trail.
xXDigitalXx

xXDigitalXx

remember there are freedom of speech, freedom of press etc. But a majority of a cases never make it front of a judge to be able to act upon or uphold the constitution. It could be even that they are collecting hive intelligence, better known as collective intelligence, to try to foresee act that might happen in the future, profiling a person, can also be a slippery slope.
xXDigitalXx

1 recommendation

xXDigitalXx

hey its been good talking to you, hope you find out about the transparency reports, let me know. I am out for the night.

for more information check out
Federal Patriot Act
Federal Protection Act

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to xXDigitalXx

to xXDigitalXx
said by xXDigitalXx:

but if your not doing nothing illegal then you should have nothing to worry about.

When they pass the law requiring cameras and microphones in everyone's homes, I hope people who said that phrase are the first ones with them installed.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
said by Noah Vail:

Are you OK with 24/7 webcams in every bathroom and bedroom in your home? I suspect you have something to hide there.

I have several webcams around my house, and all can be accessed from outside. My entire yard, pool deck, garage, office, entrance to daughter's room & bathroom, entrance to my bedroom & bathroom...

To be honest, if anyone is checking me out they'll see one of the most boring lives ever

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

3 edits

xXDigitalXx to mixdup

to mixdup
there is no law requiring cameras and microphones, the Cameras inside your own personal home, is a luxury for personal defense. One outside, a few inside, hooked up to a dvr, that is not connected via the internet, if you don't want someone to hack it or spy on you..simple, don't connect it to the internet.

Personally I have a few cameras but I prefer self-defense weapons, in every room. With kids that's kind a hard to do.

Nothing wrong with boring life, most people get up go to work, come home some game some watch television, go take a bath and start over again.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to xXDigitalXx

to xXDigitalXx
Medical Records? LOL.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to weaseled386

Premium Member

to weaseled386
said by weaseled386:

said by Noah Vail:

To be honest, if anyone is checking me out they'll see one of the most boring lives ever

Yea but the pink boa was a bit much....

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to weaseled386

Premium Member

to weaseled386
said by weaseled386:

I have several webcams around my house, and all can be accessed from outside. My entire yard, pool deck, garage, office, entrance to daughter's room & bathroom, entrance to my bedroom & bathroom...

Great. Post your public IP here and we'll take you up on that offer to check you out.
In case you don't already know, you can get it by googling -> What is my IP

Can't wait.
Thanks!

xXDigitalXx
Saint Petersburg, FL

xXDigitalXx to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Medical Records? LOL.

to be honest, since Florida is a pill mill state, medical records are now fully digital for the most part, the DEA requires certain doctors to access the database for script history and they can see all your doctors and all your scripts, their system is also automated, if your prescribed a narcotic from a family doctor and another narcotic from another doctor and they overlap they give you a warning then they give you a warrant.