Search similar:

uniqs

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

randavis

Printer problem

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for my question. If it is not, please move it.

I have a cheap Samsung CLP-365W printer that will not power on. I had it plugged into my Kill a Watt so I know that there is 122V at the receptacle. I tried a different power cable as it uses a standard cable that almost all pc's use.

I plugged the usb cable in while the unit was powered on and it died. No lights or sounds, and I could smell that "magic smoke".

I am fairly certain that I have burned out the power conversion subsystem.

I have not been able to fully disassemble the unit for fear of breaking the panels. They seem to interlock somehow, but I haven't found the trick to open it.

I tried to do a google search but all I came up with was the user manual which doesn't go into the detail I need.

Can anyone steer me to a repair manual or video that I can use?

It is a cheap unit, two weeks out of warrany. I bought it on sale from Newegg for $140 shipped, so it isn't a great loss. I also have a new black toner cartridge that I bought on sale for $50.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

I think you'll have a hard time trying to locate a service manual. My understanding is that those are for internal repair or licensed technicians only. I looked and couldn't find one either.

That said, if you are technically savvy, you could maybe locate a similar model that isn't working for other reasons and strip out its power conversation board, etc.

If all else fails, contact Samsung support. Sometimes you'll get a technician willing to share.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
Blue Springs, MO

randavis

I e-mailed support two days ago and still have not had a reply. I called there support number yesterday. I was told that I could ship it to a service center in California for $60 and they would refurbish it for another $110.

I found an authorized repair center near me and the person I spoke with said that they were not familiar with that model, but I could bring it in and they would check it out at $60 per hour. Parts extra.

It looks like another one for the landfill.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by randavis:

It looks like another one for the landfill.

Yep. When a client asks me to repair a broken printer I just explain to them why it is probably cheaper to just replace it with a new one. The new one is most likely faster AND comes with a warranty.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
Blue Springs, MO

randavis

I'm now trying to decide what to replace it with.

I have had several HP printers in the past, but they seem to be seriously lacking in support. They hardly ever update drivers and software.

I have had several inkjet printers, but with my sporadic use of color, the damn cartridges end up drying out, so my last three printers have been laser. First laser was mono, the second and third were color. They seem to tolerate the occasional usage better than the inkjets.

I did find a Samsung C410W which uses the same toner cartridges as my old CLP-365W. Looking at the specs, it is about the same as the old one, and it looks very similar.

Any recommendations?
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

I've had a Brother HL-2270DW for about 2 years. It's fast (27 PPM), can be networked via wired or wireless, can print on both sides of the paper and has been completely trouble free. You can often find it on sale for $80 or so. Generic toner cartridges can be found for $10-15 each (supposed to be good for 2,600 pages). I like that I can just leave it on 24x7 because it only uses 0.7 watt of power in standby (wired network mode). My old LaserJet 4 was such a power hog that we kept it turned off. Waiting for it to boot and warmup was annoying.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to randavis

Premium Member

to randavis
I would say go with the new Samsung. I have one of their older CLP-300 color lasers and love it to this day! It's going on 5 years and I paid $120 for it. Im on my 2nd set of toner after the trial toner ran out.

When this one dies I will be looking at the newest model Samsung makes. I have never had a printer last 5 years and this one is still kicking. I did have to dump the waste toner cartridge last year for the first time. That was the only problem I've had except for running out of paper!

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
Blue Springs, MO

randavis

Click for full size
Click for full size
I just finished ordering the Samsung C410W. I found it on NCIX for $139.00 with free shipping.

I finally figured out how to get the side panels off of the old unit. So far, I found the power board and the main fuse is soldered on the board. It checks ok with my dvm.

I removed that board and the board that looks to be the processor board with the network connector and usb connector. There are several ribbon connections also. There is one small component that may have some slight burn marks. It is about 2mm long and 1mm wide and is black plastic. It is in the lower right corner of the second picture.

I tried googling the numbers on the board but didn't come up with anything, but I have minimal google skills.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

said by randavis:

I...There is one small component that may have some slight burn marks. It is about 2mm long and 1mm wide and is black plastic. It is in the lower right corner of the second picture. ...

Ummmm, yeah, that don't look good.

Write the number / markings and perhaps someone can determine what it is.