All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bitterroot13
join:2014-01-23
Hamilton, MT

bitterroot13

[Equipment] Unlimited Data Sim and a Router with Voice.

I have two lines with unlimited data on verizon. I have them on stratospheres we are moving to an area that doesn't get high speed internet but I am a designer and need a fairly good internet speed.

I have a router with voice I bought off ebay. I have removed the sim card inside it and replaced it with my second unlimited data tied sim. Can I un-suspend that line and have that unlimited data with that router and the open phone line via the regulations that verizon cannot dictate which devices we use?

I don't mind if I have to pay the tethering fee but I can't afford to pay per GB when I never know what kind of usage each job will bring.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

1 edit

Zach

Premium Member

I have a VZW unlimited data plan w/tethering and have had no problem switching the SIM between devices of the same class (LTE phones). I've been told the regulations *technically* only cover the switching of service between devices that support all of the features that the SIM is provisioned for. I've also heard the regulations *technically* only cover those who sub capped data plans. Heresy being what it is, what my eyes have witnessed is a different story. I've seen a Mifi hotspot work fine with a SIM from a phone with unlimited data w/tethering plan. I have no idea if the the subscriber incurred any charges on a later bill but it did work. I've also heard, on many occasions, reps at the local corporate store embracing SIM swapping of all sorts although use of services not specifically subscribed or included in a subscribed plan will result in charges at the pay-per-use rate. The stories and witness accounts are all over the map.

The caveat; even if it works at the time of the swap, there are no guarantees that VZW won't drop the hammer (and hike the bill) later. They know what device the SIM is being used with since the device listed on my account always updates to match one I'm currently using. If I were you, I'd play it safe by subbing the $30 tethering and using a phone's native hotspot, BT or USB tethering apps. If you had already been moved to a capped plan, I doubt VZW would care what device you use. In the meantime, VZW would really like to yank unlimited from those of us who are holding on tight. I wouldn't give them any terms of service ammo to use against you.
Expand your moderator at work
bitterroot13
join:2014-01-23
Hamilton, MT

bitterroot13 to Zach

to Zach

Re: [Equipment] Unlimited Data Sim and a Router with Voice.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I get that. I love the convenience of the voice router but I love my unlimited data more. I can't do the crazy overages or plan changes and line fees that using the new plans would entail. I will just work within the system.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

So you're reselling the voice router that you bought? How much you want for it?
Thistool
join:2013-12-05
Auburn, WA

Thistool

Re: [Equipment] Unlimited Data Sim and a Router witrh Voice.

youtube.com
heathe1
join:2014-02-19

heathe1 to Zach

to Zach

Re: [Equipment] Unlimited Data Sim and a Router with Voice.

I've been using a spare unlimited phone lines SIM in a USB Modem for 2 years and have no ill effects. Usually use about 100-150 GB per month. No slow downs. No charges. No changes.
heathe1

heathe1 to bitterroot13

to bitterroot13
Pop that SIM in and fire it up. Verizon agreed to certain terms and conditions when purchasing the 700 MHz block they purchased. The stipulation is that they cannot change your plan or modify your account in any way for moving your SIM from device to device. Use it all you want. You paid for it. You have the right.
heathe1

heathe1 to Zach

to Zach
Also I DO NOT have the 30/mo hotspot allowance on my line that I use exclusively for internet access. Just pop the SIM in and go.