IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[DISH] Self install

Not right now but I may consider Dish Network in the future even though I had a bad experience with them in 2005 but if I do decide to ever get Dish Network in the future, is it that much more difficult self install than a DirecTV setup. What components are involved, what dish do I use, which satellites do I aim for on the east coast.

I self install these things because my landlord doesn't mind dishes but she DOES mind sloppy work and wasn't too thrilled by the sloppy work Comcast did.

If I self install I would take my time and do everything neatly. I'd probably reuse wiring as well. There is an unused Dish Network dish on the other side of the duplex but that might be too much of a wire run.

And what receiver is the best. I'd get the components and materials from Solid Signal.

DirecTV is starting to decline in my books (especially after dropping the Weather Channel) and there is a remote possibility I may switch when my contract is up.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Solid Signal
»www.solidsignal.com/c/pr ··· quipment

They can advise you on what you will need and how to do the activation.
You will need coaxial cable, end connectors, cable termination equipment to attach the connectors, unless you order cable that is already terminated with the correct connectors. There are a variety of receivers available. You will need to get the exact model number of the existing Dish antenna to have them check its compatibility.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

And what receiver is the best. I'd get the components and materials from Solid Signal.

DirecTV is starting to decline in my books (especially after dropping the Weather Channel) and there is a remote possibility I may switch when my contract is up.

It's going to cost you. Usually a new install is free. You're going to drop a lot of cash on hardware up front to get started.

If I were a new DirecTV customer, I'd aim for the HR44 and C41's. Though that probably won't help you if you're switching to dish. I shouldn't try to comprehend this early in the morning.

RE WxChannel - In my view, that's all the more reason to stick with them. Seriously nothing lost in that channel drop. I've called and written to voice my support for their decision.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I'm happy with DirecTV's service, but the quality of their customer service has declined in recent years.

I got stuck with a TiVo THR 22 that had issues and they couldn't explain or troubleshoot the issue nor could they swap it with another receiver or refund the lease fee. So I had to drop $99 to get a properly functioning receiver. The issue was it kept interrupting live tv to record directv enhanced content.

That's enough to make you consider dropping them.

As for the genie, I prefer to use H25 receivers as clients as opposed to C31s so you can watch live TV on the client TVs when all the genie tuners are in use by recordings. I only have three TVs so the SWM 8 LNB on the dish will work fine. I currently have one C31 and one H25 along with the HR34.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

You've had 5 recordings going at the same time?

Yikes!

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

Yikes!

It's happened before when a C31 had live TV cut out which is why I opted for the H25 when I added a TV to the kitchen and I moved the C31 to the kitchen and put the H25 in after I took out the TiVo. I'm still waiting on the recovery kit from the TiVo.

bmetelsky
Premium Member
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH

bmetelsky to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I wouldn't mess around with a total self-install, but pulling the cable and getting things set up for an install from DISH will save them time and you'll likely be happier than if you had to pay them extra for fishing wire, etc. I have DISH and they installed within 2 days of ordering the service with no-charge. I have a Hopper w/Sling and 1 Joey. We only have two tv's in the house, so this was sufficient.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

Yikes!

Regular occurrence for me depending on the time of year and the week. Wednesdays at 10-11PM is a mess.

CBS - CSI
FS1 - The Ultimate Fighter
FX - American Horror Story, The Bridge, The American's
Showtime - Jim Rome, 60 Minute Sports
Comedy Central - South Park, Inside Amy Schumer

Sunday nights at 9 are pretty tight

Fox - Family Guy/American Dad
HBO - Boardwalk Empire, True Detective (Game of Thrones? Can't remember if that's on at 9 or 10)
Showtime - Homeland, Shameless, Californication, Ray Donovan
Food Network - Food Truck Road Race
With one tuner left for Sunday Night Football

Monday's at 9 is also a big hour for the DVR

CBS - Mike & Molly/Mom
Fox - Sleepy Hallow, The Following
A&E - Bates Motel (can't remember if Longmire is on at 9 or not, but that's a summer series)
Nat Geo - Brain Games
And one tuner needed for Monday Night Football

Taking into account live baseball and hockey, specials and other things, there are some nights on occasion where nine or ten out of my total 11 tuners between cable and satellite are in use.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Mom records a lot of stuff for grandma such as the Golden Girls, Murder She Wrote, Matlock, Perry Mason, Family Feud, 22 News at Noon/6pm, etc.

She likes a lot of old movies too. Unfortunately she is in a rehab right now (she broke her hip) but they have DirecTV but no DVRs so she has to catch the shows as they air.

Many healthcare facilities have DirecTV instead of cable.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
weather channel sucks and dish still has the part time RSN HD BS

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Many healthcare facilities have DirecTV instead of cable.

Thats because they use this. »seniortv.com/

My grandmas place has this and it is just DirecTV. They have a closet full of receivers and modulators to convert the channels to regular cable channels that are sent thru the facility over coax.
ilikeme

ilikeme to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

Yikes!

Quite normal for me also. Its not a big deal and the system can handle it.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
you were warned by everyone here about the THR-22... So dont act like it was Direct TV's fault. and i agree about the whole TWC. if anyone watches that these days it is for the reality TV.. not the weather
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

said by ke4pym:

Yikes!

Quite normal for me also. Its not a big deal and the system can handle it.

Wow. I envy you guys. I wish there were enough shows on at any given time that I care about to keep 3 of the 4 tuners I have busy.