All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
star64
join:2009-03-03
Hempstead, NY

star64

FiOS routing issues. Game traffic being classified as P2P?

There's been routing issues to Final Fantasy XIV (online MMORPG) for the past month. Not sure how to go about contacting Verizon about this. Looking for suggestions here because the last time I contacted their support about a game connectivity issue they said they don't support gaming. I know it's not just me because thousands of others have been reporting lag spikes. Some people have suggested one of the ISP's inbetween Verizon and the FF XIV servers is classifying the traffic as P2P. It works fine if I use a proxy/tunneling service like WTFast or Smoothping so it's clearly something between us. This kind of thing has happened to World of Warcraft users too in the past.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Verizon doesn't classify or modify FiOS data traffic - it is treated as best effort, so game traffic wouldn't be modified into P2P traffic, etc...
star64
Hempstead, NY

star64

From my tracerts it looks like a faulty Level3 router. The pings spike from 13ms to 317ms with about 15% packet loss.
ae-11-11.car2.Montreal2.Level3.net

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish

Premium Member

That just shows Level 3 is overloaded, nothing Verizon can do
star64
Hempstead, NY

star64

Can't Verizon contact Layer3 and get them to fix their stuff? A regular consumer contacting them won't do anything. There has to be some kind of official channel to go through to resolve this.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Verizon won't contact Level3 on your behalf. Level3 has to fix their own equipment. The upstream provider who hosts the game servers should be contacting Level3.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish to star64

Premium Member

to star64
Very common issue, services that use the lowest cost transit to the internet ( tier 1 ) will typically have many issues like your seeing, Netflix is the king of this, very common on gaming servers as well