All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

thexed
@mchsi.com

thexed

Anon

[IL] New priceing schemes

Anyone else annoyed by the fact that I now have to pay 30 for a 3mbps connection? 2-3 months ago I had a 10Mbps connection which in reality was more like 8...

It will cost me 20 additional dollars to go up to 15...

Anyone know why the changes?? Was Mediacom that hard up for bandwidth?

Also, I don't have any other options, I live in a rural area and my only other option is dial-up which obviously is not an option..

Ugh I can't be the only one frustrated...

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello thexed,

I would be happy to look into possible internet tiers and promotions/pricing with you. If you could just private message me your account or phone number to get started.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6 to thexed

to thexed
You must have had a promotional price in internet, which you got used to being the "regular" price. The prices for internet at the lower end haven't changed very much in a couple of years now. I have been paying about $30 for my 3 Mbps internet with a television package for several years now. While I could have DSL as an option (which would be about 3 Mbps only due to my distance from the central office) for less, I personally haven't chosen it both because my Mediacom internet service has been good and because I can upgrade to a higher speed with just a telephone change, whereas with DSL I wouldn't have that option.
thexed
join:2014-01-24

thexed

I disagree... I have had Mediacom's internet service for about 8 years now and I noticed that it the speeds dropped around Christmas (it might have dropped a little before that but I noticed it then due to having more time to waste on the computer) I KNOW previous to that it was right around 8-10Mbps, as I often ran speed tests (I know they can be unreliable, but they were consistent enough to give me a ball park idea).

I don't know when they changed their tiers but if it has been a while ago then maybe they realized their mistake and hacked my internet down by over half...

I don't know... But I am hoping someone can help me...
k9iua6
Dubuque, IA

1 edit

k9iua6

Thexed, I was just responding to your rant about your costs for internet.

As for your speed issue, what you are experiencing is not a speed tiers issue, but something in general wrong with internet in your area, or with your specific connection. You just joined this forum, so as soon as you are able (after the twelve hour delay for new users has passed), Private Message (PM) MediacomChad with your account number (or modem MAC address) and have him start looking at your modem and connection. You also don't say which Mediacom market area you are in, what modem you are using, or even give reports from your modem as to your download and upload power levels or SNR (signal to noise ratio) show up as. You can get those with most modems and home networks by going to 192.168.100.1 with your web browser. Depending on how old (and what model) your cable modem, it could be that, as your previous 8-10 Mbps internet (let alone slower) was not right for even 12 or the now 15 Mbps standard package, which many users have been on for some time now.

ADDED: Several years ago, when I downgraded my internet tier with Mediacom from standard to intro (3 Mbps) speed, it took Mediacom about two years before they actually changed the configuration in the modem. In other words, yes, it could take them awhile to change some things until they do one of their periodic account audits. So if that is what happened to you, some would say we are finally getting what we pay for and that we were just lucky for the time being.
thexed

thexed

I am at work right not, but when I get home I will look into this stuff...also I have already given the information to MediacomChad that he requested so hopefully he will awaken from his slumber and help me as well

Anyways, thanks for your reply too... and just for the record I was a bit frustrated when I sent the original post... so I am sorry if it came across a bit harsh...
k9iua6
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

Thexed, see the addition I just added to my reply above.
thexed

thexed

I just read that, thank you for the additional information. I suppose MediacomChad will be able to tell me more information.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Thank you for contacting me via IM. If you have any other questions or issues, please let me know.