uniqs

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

1 edit

inGearX

help - Android for mom

my mom is 60 years old and wants to finally get a smart phone ..

I'm thinking Samsung Galaxy s3 would be a bit too much for her ..

she drops phones .. into WATER .. etc ..

she's not gonna benefit as much from that crystal clear LCD etc .. (like I watch movies ..)

GPS is a must for world travel as my mom travels 3-6 months a year abroad ..
and then she'll connect to some well valued network back in Brooklyn ..

what would you recommend?

thank you..

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb

Premium Member

depending on her carrier, get one of the cheaper android phones. my mom drops phones, into stuff, works in the garden with hers (actually planted the phone in a pot full of potting soil once lol).

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

1 recommendation

inGearX

said by pcdebb:

depending on her carrier, get one of the cheaper android phones. my mom drops phones, into stuff, works in the garden with hers (actually planted the phone in a pot full of potting soil once lol).

she's free from any carrier .. she's on a month to month with Verizon ..

she travels abroad to various places or pleasure 3-6 months a year .. so GPS is a must ..

and I guess she'll be able to find some well valued carrier in Brooklyn ..
said by pcdebb:

(actually planted the phone in a pot full of potting soil once lol).

ahaha did u find it by ringing

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 edit

lordpuffer to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Active is FREE right now online at AT&T (with a 2 year agreement). It claims to be water resistant up to 1 meter for 30 minutes.

»www.att.com/shop/wireles ··· U53MlLm2

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
If she's not techie, I would recommend an iPhone. (Blasphemy, I know. )

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
said by inGearX:

my mom is 60 years old and wants to finally get a smart phone ..

I'm thinking Samsung Galaxy s3 would be a bit too much for her ..

A bit OT, but I am 60 myself and that of itself is not a limit, and OK a bit of a geek in early computer days as a kid, but find it hard to believe she would be that lost.

Can she handle a remote for a TV/VCR/DVD... set a timer?... if so a modern smart phone is just a little leap.
Hayward0

1 edit

Hayward0 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Yeah iDevs definitely the devices for the mindless, hard to screw up as Apple limits them so much, but hard to screw up Androids too unless you try to do things you shouldn't... but a clueless person likely wouldn't do that, just the ones not as smart as they think they are.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

2 edits

1 recommendation

shaner to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Samsung Rugby PRO would do the trick here. Military spec, fairly waterproof, but still a decent size and usable. Should be $49 on a term.
»www.att.com/shop/wireles ··· x9UhZVbF

You keep mentioning the need for GPS overseas. Android phones download map data as it's needed, so unless she has a data connection while she's overseas, the GPS isn't going to help much.

Based on what you've said your requirements are, maybe consider a Nokia 920 Windows 8 phone. Excellent battery life, easy to use, and the Nokia Here maps application stores maps on the device. This means it can be used as a standalone GPS unit in areas where a data connection isn't available.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Yeah iDevs definitely the devices for the mindless, hard to screw up as Apple limits them so much, but hard to screw up Androids too unless you try to do things you shouldn't... but a clueless person likely wouldn't do that, just the ones not as smart as they think they are.

I dont' think you understood where I was coming from with that, so let me clarify. I wasn't insinuating that iPhones are for the mindless, but if his mother isn't really techie, then chances are she wouldn't use an Android device for as much as she really could, and would most likely only be doing basic stuff and maybe a little bit more than that. Therefore, Apple's tight control over the iOS ecosphere and their hardware would most likely be a good fit for her. Easy to use interface, not overly techie for someone who might not be, and she doesn't need to concern herself with all the permissions, phone/app settings, setting things up, etc. like that.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

On the surface unless you WANT to dig the interfaces are near identical. All GUI tap the button.

But yes at often near twice the price the iDevs are because you just can't do things by accident (because Apple limited not even possible) are more dummy proof.
Hayward0

1 edit

Hayward0 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
And getting back to your original thing, 60 yr old Mom, and I somewhat of a geek younger, but all my 50-70 year old friends have no problem with basic use of a smart phone.

Unless she is a GOP long believing only place for a woman is uneducated, subservient, barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. ''

Again she can handle programing and using a VCR a smart phone should be no issue.

Now my parents were another issue... dad never gave up his typewriter, for PC and WP (by choice)... but had no problem with remotes/VCR etc.

Repub Mom glad they got the vote (in her childhood), but on the other hand never had a clue about being ones self sufficient self.

Don't recall them ever arguing over politics... but yeah split family Dad Dem and Mom Rep.

But pretty much made me realize both the problem and hope fpr a viable 3rd party or IND.... we have long seated Bernie Sanders of VT were I helped start his career by electing him mayor of Burlington VT no one thought possible, then even rep... let alone now a multi decade Senator, but he is about it in the Fed government sincerely trying to find a middle ground .... the rest are the shockingly polar hell we are stuck in.

Wow trying to get back OT wandered off.... but it really is all related.

Old doesn't mean you can't handle new... unless you choose not to.... and you can do that selectively as my dad did.... typewriter for his needs fine... other new tech just fine and could deal with.... Mom always lost without children support especially once they were after 35yr divorced.

OK Back to OT.... maybe don't sell your MOM so short... or just get her a simple pre paid,

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Um, I am about your Mom's age, and I have a Galaxy s4 and love it. Don't assume because of her age she wouldn't benefit or use a good phone like it should be. Buy a piece of crap, she won't get anything out of it, other than frustration. Buy a nice phone, and she will love it. An s3 would probably be ok.

As far as dropping/abusing the phone, well, that might happen no matter which phone she gets. Get insurance on it. Has come in handy for my daughter with her iPhone (dropped in toilet ).

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

The Samsung Galaxy S4 Active is FREE right now online at AT&T (with a 2 year agreement). It claims to be water resistant up to 1 meter for 30 minutes.

»www.att.com/shop/wireles ··· U53MlLm2

This is almost a no brainer. I might add that if it is too complicated Samsung includes a basic screen theme that simplifies the phone beyond any I've seen.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by not quite right:

if it is too complicated Samsung includes a basic screen theme that simplifies the phone beyond any I've seen.

Sounds like a winner to me. Best of both worlds.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
z1s

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

Kramer to inGearX

Mod

to inGearX
First Smart Phone.. sorry, get her an iPhone and a Lifeproof case or something like it. get Applecare too if you like. I'm a big Android fan and both my wife and myself have Android phones (we both own iPads too), but you can't beat the ease of use of the iPhone especially for a beginner. My 85 year old father and near that age stepmother both got iPhones and actually make use of them and love them. I really don't think they could have handled an Android phone.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
said by not quite right:

This is almost a no brainer. I might add that if it is too complicated Samsung includes a basic screen theme that simplifies the phone beyond any I've seen.

exactly what I was going to post.
my aunt (mid 60's) just got the S4 and has it on the "regular" homescreen mode. she's only called me twice to ask questions, which is pretty amazing in itself

AFAIK, the S3, S4, and Note2 have this. I'm sure other Samsung devices have this feature.
MikeA1972
join:2008-02-06
Brantford, ON

MikeA1972

Moto G

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to inGearX

to inGearX
Moto G or Lumia 920 would be a perfect choice. If she needs navigation, then nothing beats Nokia drive. Android is complicated so she may find it hard to get her hand on. Windows on the other hand is very simple to use and has all the features.
uteck
join:2009-12-30
Elgin, IL

uteck to inGearX

to inGearX
Molly Wood did a tourture test of the S3 and it survived and was still working.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· OhVGFbyk