Portsmouth, VA
Technicolor CGM4331
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

1 recommendation

sniperboyz

New Home Networks

Click for full size
Home made rackmount with top to bottom, start with 24 ports CAT5e Patch Panel, Cisco Catalyst Express 500 24 ports POE, Dell Pow
Click for full size
CAT5e Patch Panels and Cisco Catalyst Express 500
Click for full size
Cisco Aironet 3502i in 2nd floor
Click for full size
Cisco Aironet 1252AG in Garage 1st Floor
I just want to share with you for my new networks setup I settled up. Here's pictures above.

Cisco Catalyst Express 500 with 24 Ports POE running with Cisco Aironets, desktops, and gaming consoles.

As both of server it running:

- Dell PowerEdge 2950 2x Intel Xeon Quad 2.0 GHz, 8GB RAM, 2x 1TB RAID 1 as OS and 1x 2TB as Storage, Nvidia Geforce GT 640, and Intel Pro/1000 Quad (PCI-X) running Windows 7 Professional for Files Server, Media Server, and FTP Server.

- Dell PowerEdge 2850 2x Intel Xeon Dual 3.8 GHz, 8GB RAM, 4x 146GB RAID 5, Intel Pro/1000 Dual MT (Built in), and Intel Pro/1000 Quad GT (PCI-X) running Untangle v10 (Firewall Router)

The two Switches:
- Cisco Catalyst Express 500 with 24 Ports POE at house
- Cisco Catalyst Express 500 with 4 Ports POE and 20 Ports Desktop at garage

The multiple Cisco Aironet:
- Cisco Aironet 3502i at 2nd Floor at home - running standalone
- 2x Cisco Aironet 1252AG at 1st and 2nd floor in garage - running standalone

All SSID and Security are same so it will roaming between these access points with laptops, smartphones, and iPads.

On list I was trying to make my plan to upgrade in the following:
- Additional Cisco Aironet 3502i or 1142N at first floor at house
- Replace Cisco Aironet 1252AG to 3502i or 1142N on both 1st and 2nd floor

Planning to upgrade:
- Additional Cisco Aironet 3502i at 1st floor in house or replace both to 1142N at both floors
- Replace from Cisco Aironet 1252AG to 3502i or 1142N in garage at both floors
- Replace both Cisco Catalyst Express 500 to Cisco ESW540 24 Ports Gigabit POE

That's all I have. Hope you like it with these but please let me know how thing work out and possible to improve networks to make neat.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Love the (networking) nrop shots!

Not sure why you'd ditch the 1252 for the 350 or 1142... I'll gladly take it off your hands if you don't want it.

Regards

sniperboyz
join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
Technicolor CGM4331
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

sniperboyz

For some reason that it can't get full range and speed due power limitation on both radios. According to Web GUI said "Limited(1x3 MIMO) radio functionality due to insufficient inline power. To get full functionality use enhanced PoE switches, power injectors or power supply" That's why I have to change to 3502i or 1142N whenever someone can recommend to me.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

That means your PoE either doesn't put out enough juice, there is a wiring problem, or you just need an injector.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

alphapointe to sniperboyz

MVM

to sniperboyz
What's the Ubiquiti POE injector in the first picture powering?
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to sniperboyz

Premium Member

to sniperboyz
said by sniperboyz:

For some reason that it can't get full range and speed due power limitation on both radios. According to Web GUI said "Limited(1x3 MIMO) radio functionality due to insufficient inline power. To get full functionality use enhanced PoE switches, power injectors or power supply" That's why I have to change to 3502i or 1142N whenever someone can recommend to me.

I've got a 1252 I've had for many years. I bought it with the Cisco PoE injector. Which will provide full power.

Recently, I got a wild hair to unplug as much as I could. So, I bought a small biz Cisco switch. 8 gig ports, 4 with PoE. But it wouldn't output the required wattage for the AP.

In the real world, I didn't see where it made a difference. I found no range or speed limitations running on low power using 802.11n on 5 or 2.4GHz (at the same time).

I'd like to upgrade my 1252 to one of those fancy 802.11ac jobbies. We're supposed to get some in at work and I've been promised I can play with one. Will probably trade the 1252 in on one.

I've got an extra PoE injector you can have if you want it. Pay shipping. It will make your AP sing though. Literally. It'll work fine. But it'll make noise when data is flowing through it. Damnedest thing. Cisco sent me 3 new AP's and finally a new injector before we got it fixed. They didn't want the injector back.

sniperboyz
Portsmouth, VA

sniperboyz to alphapointe

to alphapointe
That's for outdoor its Bullet M2 for WiSP but never used when neighbor moved. I decided to take apart off and use Ethernet to my neighbor. Better than nothing.
sniperboyz

sniperboyz to ke4pym

to ke4pym
I have Cisco PoE injector but I like the way switch came with PoE. it is used for college that didn't have WiFi in some building and sometimes if hotel have no wifi also. Better than nothing. I would trade it for 3502i or 1142N for neat look and good for streaming video/data/voice. Even gaming.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to sniperboyz

Premium Member

to sniperboyz
Mine is at the top of my stairwell. The device connected blue light makes a great night light.

And the shadows on the walls from the antenna fangs are amusing. I'll always use external antennas if given the option. Much better long-range performance than inboard antennas.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to sniperboyz

MVM

to sniperboyz
From the 1250 datasheets

Powering Options

- Cisco Catalyst switch port capable of sourcing 20W or greater
- Cisco AP1250 Power Injector (AIR-PWRINJ4)
- Cisco AP1250 Local Power Supply (AIR-PWR-SPLY1)
- 802.3af switch (AP1250 with single radio only)

Power Draw

- AP1250 with two RM1252 radio modules installed: 18.5W
- AP1250 with one RM1252 radio module installed: 12.95W

As others have said, make sure you're POE is rated to supply what's needed above.

Regards

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Indeed you need something that is POE+ (PoE Plus) compliant (meets IEEE 802.3at-2009 standard) which gives 25.5w per port.

sniperboyz
Portsmouth, VA

sniperboyz

Yes That's only way it can handle with higher watts. And I have only one PWRINJ4 and few Power Supply. Some Cisco Catalyst have POE+ depending on models.
sniperboyz

sniperboyz to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
As I said above and I would recommend Cisco Aironet 1142N or 3502 plus Cisco ESW540 gigabit 24 port POE switch good for gaming, voice, data, and video. Including streaming with Netflix and Amazon Prime. Even rarely Hulu. It seem untangle are not really capability with gaming but pfSense does good for gaming. Depending on people like either untangle or pfSense.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to beachintech

MVM

to beachintech
Its a reasonably well known fact that the 1252 is a power hungry beast. To use all radios you need to use an injector. AIR-PWRINJ4 I think is the part number you need.

edit: beaten by HELLFIRE. Should have scrolled down a bit further. :P

sniperboyz
Portsmouth, VA
Technicolor CGM4331
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

sniperboyz

Click for full size
Cisco Catalyst Express 500
Click for full size
2nd Floor Cisco Aironet 1252AG
Here's additional switch and 2nd Floor access point at garage with pictures.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

Its a reasonably well known fact that the 1252 is a power hungry beast. To use all radios you need to use an injector. AIR-PWRINJ4 I think is the part number you need.

All of the radios work on low power. I've not been able to tell a difference with my 1252's performance (in speed or distance) when using an injector or the lower power provided by my switch.

JohnDrenZ
Premium Member
join:2000-04-03
New River, AZ

JohnDrenZ to sniperboyz

Premium Member

to sniperboyz
Why do you have so many APs? I have one 3502 in my 2 story 3200sq ft house and get perfect coverage throughout the house and in the yard. Also if you are going to use a few APs, you should think about getting like 2508 WLC to manage them.

sniperboyz
Portsmouth, VA
Technicolor CGM4331
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

sniperboyz

Well I know it sound like too many because it keep stay connected and speeds for voice, video, data, and gaming to devices like as iPads, iPhones, smartphones, laptops, tablets, and gaming consoles without having disconnect by dead spot or slow while move to other location. And I maybe need 2508 WLC to make these handle it without having problem. I am selling 1252AG for $250 on ebay for replace few 3502i include 2508 WLC.

JohnDrenZ
Premium Member
join:2000-04-03
New River, AZ

JohnDrenZ

Premium Member

The controller with make managing the APs easier and also with the 3502's you can enable CleanAir Technology on the controller to improve your wireless connectivity. I would even enable QOS for your gaming and voice traffic.

sniperboyz
Portsmouth, VA

sniperboyz

It will be interesting to see how these work with 3502i when using qos and traffic to manage and setup easier at once.
sniperboyz

sniperboyz to JohnDrenZ

to JohnDrenZ
Is these Cisco WLC 4402 or 4404 good start for few 3502? Let's start about 6 of them (two in house, two in garage, and 3 at neighbor) with four SSID including primary, neighbor, gaming, and guest include WPA2 PSK AES. And upgrading cisco catalyst express 500 into few esw540 24 ports gigabit poe switch. Untangle or pfsense on new Dell Poweredge 1950 (replace with 2850) came with 2x Xeon quad, 16GB RAM, and 2x 1TB 7.2k. I know it's overkill but important is it can handle it with around 25 to 150 people (families and friends) coming over for sometimes weekend, video call (Skype, oovoo, etc), Cache for update patch, downloadable game, and any network movies/tv show like Netflix, and even gamers online(any gaming consoles). I always thought pfsense can do that than untangle but important is protecting our network to keep them safer and easier for life.
sniperboyz

sniperboyz

Click for full size
CAP3502i in garage
*UPDATE*

Just installed new CAP3502i in garage! It is up and running.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

would love to get ether a 1252N or 1262N but my POE is via a NME-16ES-G-P which is only 100mbit for its POE ports

I do have a 1242AG powered by it.

sniperboyz
Portsmouth, VA
Technicolor CGM4331
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

sniperboyz

1252AG would eat up big power. Also I still have my 1252AG if you want that. It is complete kit including in following: Cisco Aironet 1252AG come with antenna, bracket, and 48v power supply. $200 plus shipping. Paypal accept.

By the way, 1262N is very similar to 3502i I've heard. I got both 3502i up and running at no problem. Wish I had gigabit poe switch. I only need two Cisco ESW 540 24 Port POE Switch for both house and garage. With 1 Gbps gonna be screaming fast like blast off.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to sniperboyz

to sniperboyz
what sq are the size of these homes? this seems quite overkill

i move terabytes of data over my internal network weekly with a single mikrotik 2011.

i can reach over an entire acre of property as well
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by LittleBill:

what sq are the size of these homes? this seems quite overkill

i move terabytes of data over my internal network weekly with a single mikrotik 2011.

i can reach over an entire acre of property as well

I can't speak for sniperboyz. But my 1252's coverage would be about an acre maybe a bit more. My 1800sqft house only needs 1. But it is all stick construction and no metal to get in the way.

When I was looking around for just an access point (I don't want a router/AP) many years ago, the consumer gear was just getting its feet wet with 802.11n. And everything just seemed over priced and more importantly, unstable.

That's why I elected to purchase an enterprise class AP. And it has yet to fail. It's made some weird noises along the way. But it has never failed to provide service.

I fully intend to replace it with 802.11ac gear from Cisco once everything settles out on the standards front.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

i guess im in a different category then most people. i live in the country, inssider shows only my wifi. although i did wire the entire house with cat 6,

but that said, im not normal. i do ALL streaming and not just internet based. all movies and tv shows get ripped to mkv, im talking big files. and we stream these non stop on multiple tv/ laptops from a NAS.

my mikro can top 125mbit over N based MIMO. to be honest, i really don't see the need to go faster. i have on occasion moved over 100GB to the nas via wireless with no problems and decent speed. and still have internet just fine

the kind of setups people have are kind of insane, i doubht there equipment ever gets off idle.

everyone keeps saying laptop and tablets and phones, like that is some kind of huge sucking force.

try booting vmware over wireless then come talk to me

my house is around 2800 SQ. and i can reach practically anywhere on the property, i was kind of mind blown to be honest

802 ac is cool, maybe in 10 years i will pick that up. but i still love wired over wireless any day of the week

sniperboyz
Portsmouth, VA
Technicolor CGM4331
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

sniperboyz

My house is 3200 SQ and garage is 600 SQ. One 3502i in house and two 3502i in garage (One for access point and one for Monitoring with CleanAir). Whole house is running CAT 5e at this time. Both POE switches running 100MB wish I had gigabit switch even it has Fiber support so I can use it between house and garage though. Trying to building up server for NAS, File Server, Media Server, and FTP Server plus pfSense Firewall on 1950.

I use ubiquiti nano station m2 between my house and grandpa for backup if one goes fail. If both failed, then it will ended up into last which is Verizon 4G LTE with unlimited data.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

My 1242AG has enough range (with my 2x 9db ants and 250ma) that I have to use google earth to measure the range

it reaches from my home to one end of the street and on the other end it reaches a stop sign near the other end (and that was with an ipod touch (with a laptop its even further)

so um I'm good with one AP. (and I pwn that channel)

sniperboyz
Portsmouth, VA
Technicolor CGM4331
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

sniperboyz

Yeah external antennas give more range than internal. I use two 3502i (internal antennas) to give coverage for any mobile devices so it will roaming between two access point. one using monitoring CleanAir to make sure it don't interference with channels or any jammers. With nicer feature on controller, it can tell me where it is and even it show graphics like as ubnt. We have three iPads, iPhone, droid razr, three laptops, and tablet. Sometimes families/friends come over, mean more iphones or androids. I believe they having no problem with using surf with netflix, text, skype, etc. I am happy with that.

Why using three CAP3502i?

My answer is use these to keep coverage around house, garage, and backyard by using roaming (any devices with roaming support will switch nearby). If I using single access point, then i have very low signal in garage or backyard with bad performance. With Cisco WLC, they control CAP3502i so it will let me know how it going with monitoring wifi and other kind devices. Love these product.

In future I would like to try 802.11AC but sad news all of devices does not have AC support so only abgn and switches only have 100 mbps. That's it.