uniqs

bmetelsky
Premium Member
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH

bmetelsky

Premium Member

Already Raised?

I just got billed by Netflix yesterday. It has always been $7.99. I was billed $8.51.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Could be tax-related. Perhaps something in your state changed with the new year?

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac to bmetelsky

to bmetelsky
Likely Ohio sales tax now applies to digital services.

Edit: Yep, Ohio implemented a sales tax on digital services starting this year.

»www.mansfieldnewsjournal ··· _check=1

bmetelsky
Premium Member
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH

bmetelsky

Premium Member

There was never any sales tax before (I've had the service for a long time). Would they add sales tax and not inform customers?

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

3 recommendations

Morac

Blame the Ohio legislature.

»www.mansfieldnewsjournal ··· _check=1
Goldman
join:2002-06-21
Maumelle, AR

Goldman to bmetelsky

to bmetelsky
said by bmetelsky:

Would they add sales tax and not inform customers?

They aren't adding a tax. They are simply standardizing and simplifying taxes that you would already want to pay. It's for your convenience!

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to bmetelsky

Premium Member

to bmetelsky
The tax on digital services started Jan 1st.
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah to bmetelsky

to bmetelsky
The tax isn't for Netflix's benefit, they don't keep the money. They pay it to the state of Ohio, because of your elected officials. They were the ones that were supposed to inform you of new tax laws, and I imagine they did.
antennaman19
join:2010-01-18
Painesville, OH
ARRIS TM1602
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC86

antennaman19 to bmetelsky

to bmetelsky
Apparently, the OH ix moving more to a consumption-based revenue system. I filed my wtaxes this morning, and the website had a table about rolling the income tax rates back sharply over the next few years. We will end up getting nickled-and-dimed silly. Many things that weren't taxed before, will be.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to bmetelsky

to bmetelsky
As a person with many years of IT experience in nationwide brick-n-mortar grocery retail, taxes are an ever evolving pain in the ass.

It's only just beginning for the digital world and it's sure to come to everyone's states as Ohio has given everyone a new revenue idea. (Sure, Ohio might have copied another state but you get the idea...)

I'm sure Netflix wasn't at all pleased to have to commit part of their revenue to collect Ohio taxes. (Setting up the rates, enhancing their billing system if it wasn't capable, going through state audits to make sure they are accurately accounting for subscribers and the state agrees they are being justly paid. Making those payments on time or face penalties...oh how twisted tax collecting is!)

Perhaps this is Netflix retaliation. An informed customer who see a new fee grunts and perhaps complains under their breath but they get over it. An uninformed customer has a WTF moment where dismay turns to anger and you have to get to the bottom of it. You seek answers from others through social Internet sites. Perhaps Netflix hopes this anger will at least give your local government more grief than had they kept you informed.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Morac

to Morac
Hardly one state had anything to do with the price changing. If they can't adapt then tell them not to do business in those states. Everyone else has to pay the taxes and now its their turn. Even online businesses that are based in Ohio with no actual store fronts pay sales as well.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to antennaman19

to antennaman19
said by antennaman19:

Apparently, the OH ix moving more to a consumption-based revenue system. I filed my wtaxes this morning, and the website had a table about rolling the income tax rates back sharply over the next few years. We will end up getting nickled-and-dimed silly. Many things that weren't taxed before, will be.

Basically this redistributes the tax burden from the wealthy to everyone else. It never ceases to amaze me how godawful stupid conservative voters are. They worship the rich like they're gods.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to Morac

to Morac
err..... ok
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to sonicmerlin

Premium Member

to sonicmerlin
said by sonicmerlin:

Basically this redistributes the tax burden from the wealthy to everyone else.

Not everyone else, rather all consumers.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to Morac

to Morac
Michigan too has been toying with this but seems from the below link, not as bad as ohio.
»www.nolo.com/legal-encyc ··· tax.html

I got a response from a congress woman who said "it's not fair" for out of state sellers to not have to pay tax. It's anti competition. I had to beg to differ and asked why is it far that Michigan pays higher taxes on Diesel fuel then in Indiana? Why do I have to drive to 3 different stores only to find they do not have what I need thought it shows it in stock online? How do I re-coop that loss and why does that seem to make it fair? Why is Michigan car insurance rates the highest in the nation and why is it far I have no choice but to pay catastrophic coverage charges? I ended the note as that I will not shop at online retailers who collect MI tax. I think that's fair enough.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to openbox9

to openbox9
Everyone is a consumer. Your semantics are inane.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

That's what I said